Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So let's say very conservatively it's costing an extra €500 per year to maintain the diesel, so €3k over the 6 years

Who knows, maybe you could buy some unicorn of a diesel car that manages 6 years without anything breaking 🤣

So we're up to €24k savings, plus road tax and tolls might come to another €1k savings

Anyway, my point is that if that Ioniq was bought new for €29k cash and sells for €7.5k then WORST CASE the owner makes a €3.5k profit when the savings are taken into account

And that's also assuming our unicorn diesel doesn't depreciate somehow 😏

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They were very cheap to run when no-one gave a crap about the life shortening sh!t coming out the exhaust

One thing we can all thank the EU for was pushing the Euro 7 standard which is effectively going to be the deathbed of the diesel engine

Of course it'd be nice if they'd ignore the car lobby a bit more and get on with it, but I guess that's to be expected when 3 of your biggest members have big domestic car industries

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭User1998

Oh absolutely it can happen, but like I said in my post, “if the vehicle is driven correctly”, you will probably not run into any issues. We were discussing a 280k km 6 year old EV, which is pretty much confirmed to be motorway miles as it was not a taxi. So the diesel equivalent being driven the same way for the same 6 years with a lot of that under manufacturers warranty would be very reliable in that instance.

But yeah other I completely agree about the fuel savings, servicing costs, all the other bits and pieces, an EV will almost always be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭con747

Any need for concern that the Ioniq was only bought by the seller a month ago? Or just a quick flip?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

List was €28.5k for the white one on the road price with €700 for any other colour. There was a scrappage scheme at the time though, €4k

I got mine in silver metallic on the road for €25.4k after starting negotiations with all 30 Hyundai dealers in Ireland and playing them off each other to squeeze every last bit out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

Based on forums the 28kWh ioniq typically reports 100% battery health up to 160,000 and then starts to drop. It may drop relatively quickly then as the hidden buffer is gone. It would be interesting to see what the car reports at 280,000km. Range may or may not be impacted depending on the value.

I would ask for proof that reduction gear oil has been changed or change it immediately as a precaution. It should be changed every 100k, km

In terms of a bargain I would worry about very high mileage wear on components in general, when compared to a lower mileage car a few thousand euro more. Compared to the same mileage leaf the ioniq is a better battery car with forced air cooling of battery.

If it was a second car with very low annual usage then the risk is lower but driving it decent miles gets you way beyond the typical design life for many parts. Things like switches may start to go. If you want to risk that hassle then make that saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Feels like a lot of ID3 starting to come on market and price coming down compared to what was available just 2 months ago;

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/34918942

VOLKSWAGEN ID3 Life PRO €21950

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/34896783

Volkswagen ID.3 Pro 2020 €23,900 (private)

😎

Market is overwhelmed with ID.3, which is great, they are starting to represent good value for money. Personally I would wait a few months and / or drive a hard bargain and pick one up for under €20k

But what would I know. I predicted something very similar about the Tesla Model 3 (cheapest for sale on DD about €35k at the time - I said they could be bought for around €28k soon) about 6 months ago, and I was ridiculed 😂

Tesla is holding high prices- basically none under 30k without significant compromise on mileage or something else.

I thought they would drop , I think it is a function of pure supply demand though (rather than unreasonable expectations based on pre-price cut purchase price). It's only since the price cuts tesla's have come on most irish peoples radar, so demand high now but no stock. VWs however are peoples bread and butter so inevitable that the first wave start to enter second hand market at year 3.

Unfortunately, as keen for a 2nd tesla in the house as I am, I suspect I will wait and get something like an ID3 which is easily resealable, until the first proper wave of M3 enter market.

😎

• Advertisement

Your observation is correct, Tesla DD prices have gone up again considerably in the last while. My theory is that this was a function of a lot of Tesla owners desperate to sell their cars because they had a new Model Y coming and the Tesla trade in price was an insult.

I personally know about half a dozen people in that situation and every single one sold their car far too cheaply (LOL - yes it is me saying a car was too cheap, I don't normally ever say that 😂), but what could they do? The only other option was cancel the Model Y. But that was likely not a socially / family acceptable solution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Another well priced e-Golf at €16.5K. Poor ad but likely to be an Executive spec version judging by the alloy wheels. Far nicer car than an ID.3 but has its limits on range. https://www.donedeal.ie/view/34888882

Volkswagen Golf 2019

Nice find and a sharp offer might take that. Totally agree, world of difference between an e-Golf and an ID.3. The latter is nothing more than an econobox. Nothing wrong with that, but a huge drop down from the semi-premium Golf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You’ve mentioned taxi about 3 times for this car. It was not a taxi.

@poker--addict - "Tesla is holding high prices- basically none under 30k without significant compromise on mileage or something else"

Here's a low enough mileage 2020 Model 3, so 6 months bumper to bumper warranty left and years of battery warranty

Asking under €29k, I'd try get it for not much more than €25k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-3-2020/34989612

Don’t forget model 3 prices will increase once the facelift is on the Irish site. It may keep the second hand one sip slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Surely existing used model 3’s will start to drop further or certainly become more widely available when the Highland versions start getting delivered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Where you can order the facelift model isn't the price increase less than 1k for the long range version?

Hard to see how a newer version coming out wouldn't decrease the value of used ones.

Not available in Ireland yet. But the markets that are, 12% increase seemly.

Model 3 took a massive price reduction in the used market, I’m merely pointing out it may reduce that downwards curve.

• Advertisement

No guarantee it will be the same here. But it would be good to see an increase that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Buttros

Electrek.co (no idea how reliable that site is) have this mentioned

We don’t have pricing for North America yet, either, but in Norway for example, the SR version is the same base price as before, and the LR version is 10,000 NOK (~$941 USD) more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

When I bought my previous ID.3 a relation had just got an E-Golf with the highest spec. When the two cars were parked together the ID.3 looked far more substantial. ID.3 was certainly roomier and more minimalist, though the Golf had the plusher interior. Both well made cars.

I think some over value a facelift...the average joe hasnt a clue when most cars get facelifted or what the difference is, it is also at least 12 to 18 months away before the new M3 hits irish shores no? As such I dont see the facelift moving the second hand market price dial. If anything it is going to delay people trading up - so even longer until the first big wave of M3s hit the used market....

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

I'd say the facelift Model 3 will be here a lot quicker than that, my guess 4 to 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Plus the id.3 is way faster than an e-golf especially in the 204bhp model.

up nearly two months, feel like with some flex on price it's not too bad

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/34323660

MG ZS Exclusive EV, Panoramic roof 4 Door Auto

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Advertisement