Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Nah

One or two updates worked OTA for some people but the failure rate was too high so they stopped pushing them and all cars had to be recalled for manual updates. I think mine went in for 3 major updates at this stage. It must be costing VW a fortune.

Having said that, once you get it updated, the software is fine. Generally does what its supposed to do, so the need for OTA is not as big a deal now as it was earlier when it had some serious bugs. It is reliable now.

VW don't really have software development figured out yet. Tesla designed it in from the start.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

After 3.2 they can. But to get 3.1 it’s a dealer visit! Also battery cell recall check carried out.

It’s a taxi so I don’t see much of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good to see there is progress then after all. I really want to see VW succeed in the electrification and come out well commercially. Even though the cabaal of gobshites got rid of Diess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

After 3.2 they can.

You're being naive @Gumbo ! 😀

When I got the v1 software they told us that v2 would fix the issues and it would be OTA from there on. v2 was installed manually and they tried an OTA across Europe after that and it didn't go well (worked for some and not others) so they called us in for a v2.3 update I think it was. OTA will work after that they said! Had to go back for a manual v2.4.

Then v3 became available but that required a dealer visit. On v3.2 now

New cars off the line are starting to come with v4 I think and for quite a while cars have been getting v3.5 off the line but existing cars are stuck on v3.2. Not a peep of anyone getting an OTA beyond 3.2, that I've seen anyway, and v3.2 is out a long time.

Basically, dont hold your breath for OTA when you get to v3.2. Just be happy the software is stable for you when it gets there! 😉

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was trying to be nice to VW 😂

Ill book a weeks annual leave for next year to get the 4.0 update done 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

It's hard to grasp that VW have put put so much money into their EV platform and still cannot get software updates right, years down the line from launch. Something that should have been right prior to car being on sale. Would it be that hard to copy what Tesla are doing, flawless.

(Thats me going from an ID4 to a Y)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's the legacy manufacturer mentality: VW were used to get S/W from third party and then underestimated the challenge when the development was moved inhouse. Combine this with all the descrete, various firmware and hardware revision leaf devices bought from 3rd party that the team has to support, add some good German Besserwisserism and overengineering, and this is the outcome.

Yes it is very hard. VW, like almost all other OEMs, outsourced pretty much all materials and software. They basically only made the engines themselves and assembled the cars (to put it simplistically). It is extremely hard for a car giant to change this process radically

Tesla on the other hand, started from scratch as a tiny company with a totally new concept of making cars, which in itself is remarkable. Using vertical integration and making almost everything in house. With the software being more important than the hardware. They have stuck with that and are now a big player, possibly one of the biggest car makers in the world in just a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

seen on the hellsite this morning.

Cheapest Ioniq 5 in the UK (big battery model) £25k

Cheapest in Ireland? €40k We are being royally screwed.

That is a great price, it is the high spec "Project 45" initial run of cars too. Unfortunately, unless you can buy it in the UK ex-VAT, it is not viable to bring it into Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It also looks like the UK one is a dealer and the Irish one is private?

However, what's the difference in those 2 cars when they were new in Ireland and UK?

Looking at list prices today, not exact science I know, it's £43k in UK and €51k in ROI. I assume they were a bit cheaper in 2021.

Converting both to euro it's 49k in UK and 51k so not a huge price difference.

So, removing all variables like discounts, asking v actual prices etc, the UK owner has lost £18k v €11k in ROI. Almost twice.thr amount.

In this case, the UK buyer has been screwed as they lost more money. One way of looking at it. They might be cheaper to buy but I don't think owning it is cheaper, motoring in the UK isnt any cheaper than here..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

And that's without any grant relief in the UK. Does the grant make Irish EVs more affordable for the consumer or increased the profit margin to the supplier under the guise of climate change action. Theres big money to be made in the green industry but at least we're promised its going to be worth it in the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The grant does nothing but line the pockets of the manufacturers. There has been no reduction in sales since the grant was lowered, and there will be no reduction if its removed entirely. A waste of taxpayers money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Nice potential profit there for a used car dealer which Im sure he'll be more than happy to pass onto the consumer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

It's not viewed as a waste of money though. Grants almost always benefit other people on the value chain - politicians just paint it as being for the little guy. Solar panels and heat pumps another example where almost no savings have been seen for consumers. The point is often the introduction in suppliers and installers and availability of product (and their marketing in turn drives awareness). Prime example I would suggest is VW slowing production. There is still, at least until recently, been higher margins in ICE cars. Skin tight Margins explains why Tesla slashing prices is a huge issue for competitors. The grants going to manufacturers drives R&D and supply

😎

At least with the PV grants, they are eaten up by Irish installers. They will pay tax on it here in Ireland, spend the rest in Ireland. Nowhere near as bad as the EV grant, which, as @ELM327 rightly says goes straight into the pocket of a foreign car manufacturer, with none of the money coming back into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Whoever Niall is he must have bought a new skoda instead of his S

• correction, car reg does correspond on mot and auto trader.
    Post edited by poker--addict on

😎

Why would you be bothered bringing in a UK car? Almost certainly you can find a better deal here and far less risk. Car reg seems genuine though:

• Advertisement

tbf risk yes, but better deals, at face value, not so sure! i am amazed at dealerships sitting on teslas and not reducing prices. I dont know much about used cars but I didnt expect to see dealers be happy to sit on stock, maybe if stock is low they suck it up, but seems madness for cash flow. Some cars are up for months now. That M3 has the better alloys too, there is none under 30, bar that one.

FWIW, based on enquiry car has had damaged repaired. Rear apparently. I am not sure every dealer would have revealed that - so some credit there, but a pass for me, due to no ability to know extent/impact.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

UK EV’s see higher depreciation as so many of them are on lease - the general perception being “lease EVs, don’t own them”.

here in Ireland, with the exception of Taxi’s and company cars, we don’t go for private leases.

listening to UK commentary, the proverbial ar3e has fallen out of the 2nd hand market due to all the expiring leases hitting the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

Boot has "dual motor" on it but the car is a standard range so I wonder was that replaced in the repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

@unkel Thank you for the hint ;-)

The seller wouldn't go below €7k. I offered slightly less and was ignored 😕. Could see her sold two days later.

Knowing that, I picked up practically identical immaculate Tekna for €7k from Waterford yesterday.

However, there's another Tekna on Donedeal in Cork, the seller aiming at €8.5k. That's basically repeating originally advertised prices (before being reduced) of the two above. And I don't think it's the last one.

It seems that all these 30 kWh top spec Teknas were imported by ElectricAutos about 5 years ago, and sold to the current owners, who are now upgrading. Serviced with Nissan due to warranty, so Spartan style battery and car check Nissan reports should be available. For a peace of mind as said.

Might be useful info for anyone with €7k budget.

Well done man, a 2016 30kWh Leaf, particularly in top spec, for €7k is a lot of car for the money. Well wear!

Agree. An L30 with low deg and the software update is a great car for 7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Hmm, interesting, a practically new e-Up for less than 20k. That 28k pricing didn't last for very long:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-e-up-style-32kwh-82bhp-available-today/34566577?campaign=3

Wow, didn't see that coming. That is a lot of EV for the money. Sub €20k is Dacia Spring money (that you can't get here)

Thats probably the best EV bargain I've seen in some time. Wow.

We just bought an Ora funky cat that is a size up but otherwise similarish class of car, that was over 10k more expensive. If we had not bought that I'd have been all over this as our second EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thanks for that, have just forwarded the details to a neighbour who is looking for a small EV, doesn't like the Zoe. She also likes the little Fiat, but I think the VW would suit her better. She finds her present Peugeot e-208 too big and a bit low..

Advertisement