Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭User1998

Not much of a bargain then in the grand scheme of things. Less than 50% depreciation in 4 years is still quite expensive. But I’m sure theres room for negotiation

Posted already in the Tesla thread, but I’m currently in the market for a 2019/2020 Tesla Model 3. If anyone is selling or trading in soon please feel free to get in touch. Bargains preferred but might be willing to stretch the budget a little bit for the right car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

You're not going to get many Tesla bargains if your benchmark is more than 50% depn after 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Also, why would anyone here help you make money by turning a bargain into a non-bargain for someone else?

Lots of reasons actually. If theres someone out there who wants to sell quickly without the hassle of Donedeal, someone who needs to sell fast due to a particular financial situation, or maybe someone who’s been offered a poor trade in value and has a new car arriving soon, I can step in with a quick and easy sale, instant bank transfer without the buyer having to wait weeks for a potential customer and having to deal with time wasters along the way?

Theres no need to be salty about it. Just because I don’t keep my cars long term and try to sell them for at least break even point doesn’t mean I should be looked down upon.

• Advertisement

As we all know Teslas are a little bit different due to supply & demand.

There are hundreds of ID3’s for sale which is why I referenced the 50% rule.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My mate was chasing a 2019/2020 M3 for the last month or 2. Anything that popped up for €32ish were being snapped up by the time he called. He ended up in a 221 for just under €37k.

Good to know. It seems like prices have stabilised the past few months. I swear there was a good few Model 3’s posted here for under €30k this year? I’m hoping prices come back down a bit over the next 6 weeks or so with people potentially upgrading in January.

There is a 2019 up for auction in the UK this week. Its VAT qualifying so it could end up costing less than €20k on Irish plates.

Only problem is that I believe its out of warranty now with just shy of 100k miles? Which isn’t great come re sale time.

Maybe someone can clear this up.

Can a private Irish individual buy this car vat free? I hear so many stories saying no. So in essence, it’s then not a €20k car here.

• Advertisement

No, a private person cannot import this car for €20k. But I am VAT registered so HMRC will refund me the 20% UK VAT.

Theres a lot of paperwork involved and it takes a couple of months to actually receive the refund, but eventually it becomes a €20k car.

But you need to be in the motor trade in some way to access this auction. So that rules out most people, regardless of VAT status.

Worth it then.

Mileage I suppose is the only thing stopping you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Prices are going to plummet once the first large wave of Tesla bought finish up leases or hit 2-3 year mark where many people upgrade. The supply tap will come on and stay on very quickly once leases finish and others buy their second tesla

The market at moment can't function properly with such low volume and so many sellers anchored by the high price they paid new (with Tesla cuts following) . 2021 and 22 Reg cars asking prices less than 8k below a new one won't last.

I will probably pick up an ID3 while I wait for a good value second hand tesla or the new model

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Coming up 2 years into an MIC car with all those small improvements, for €4-5k more, is a far better purchase too

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's mad! Would he not have waited for a far superior Highland 241 for €42k?

Yeah, I’ve bought cars with much higher mileage in the past but I think I’d rather spend a bit extra and get something slightly lower mileage with a bit of warranty.

I’l check the auction and see what type of price it goes for, if its a bit cheaper than anticipated I think I’l try buy it.

Yeah, so I’m hoping January should be start of that then? Its been 4 years since Model 3 was released and still no sign of supply in the second hand market.

Anyway sorry for the chit chat folks. And thanks for the advice.

I asked. No interest. The cost to change at this time selling his PHEV was low.

I would have waited too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Had a look there....In 2021 Tesla sold 860 cars in Ireland. This year it is over 3000 with an end of year sale/ sell off (perhaps) still to come. price cuts and model Y combination have changed the game, but it's all relatively recent, so for that to flow through to used market could actually be some time...

MG seem great growth too, interestingly SEAT growth has been good too- I really don't know why that brand is being removed by VW, unless they only sell well in Ireland and Spain...which would an seem odd stat

😎

Im in the same boat. Kind of want 21 LR but most are going at €40k+ which is too much. Was tempted by a couple of 201 M3P at around €35k but concerned they might be just too quick if young lads could end up as named drivers in a year or 2. At this point unless a good value one turns up over next couple of weeks Im holding off until early next year.

Other option is an ID4. These are far more reasonable and having watched and read a few reviews they seem to be a decent enough car

• Advertisement

Would you not get a brand new LR from stock at around €46k?

Do you actually need LR? The Highland RWD has nearly the same range, performance gap has narrowed too.

Ive never spend more that €23k for a car and am really pushing the boat out to €35k for an LR.

I agree head over heart a €30k SR makes the most sense. However the awd and extra performance of LR (or even better an M3P) is hard to pass up. Head may still win out

The Performance is class alright. I'd either go RWD or P (if you can afford it)

Stop encouraging me😂 As a matter of interest do you have any view on whether it is worth paying any more for the extra efficiency afforded from the heat pump in the refreshed 21 model?

No.

But that's me, I would struggle to justify paying anything extra for stuff I don't really need or doesn't really add that much in terms of comfort or value. If I were in the market for a Model 3 right now, I would simply order a Highland

That said, I test drove a 232 Model 3 RWD a few days ago and it really is a very good car for the money already. I was far more impressed with it than with the current Model Y RWD. The discount on one compared to the superior new model is simply not big enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would normally have agreed that a heat pump is not worth the money, the payback probably a hundred thousand kms or more. However now that I have one standard in my Model 3 I must say I do like it. Maintaining a warm car doesn't appear to have such a hit on range as other cars we have have/had. Means that in the colder months I don't have to stop to charge on my regular 280 to 300km Dublin airport or Cork runs. Many newer cars have it now as standard, happy days..🙂

There's no denying a heatpump makes a big difference in winter range compared to resisitive heating. In your case it makes the difference of not having to stop on a regular trip. That's a big benefit for sure.

It's funny now that my main two EVs are a 2014 BMW (with heatpump) and a 2017 Tesla (without heatpump). My first EV was a brand new €25k Ioniq which indeed also had a heatpump and a huge spec in general for such a cheap car.

Post edited by unkel on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just to be clear the M3 does use resistive heating and a heatpump, but I do agree the battery usage is largely unimpacted in the colder weather, my return journey commute is 14% in Summer and only on the coldest days does it hit 16% in Winter and for most of Dec/Jan I'll be on restricted regen full time

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any chance of getting this thread back to listing ev deals?

It's like a general chat thread, and there is a thread already there for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

It’s more so the mix of EV and non-EV drivers on this thread can have very differing views on what constitutes a ‘bargain’, so each car posted can grow lots of tangents

Advertisement