Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kceire wrote: »
    Don’t know..... to both questions!

Had the chance of an 08 X5 SD (that’s the same engine as the 535d) crew cab so I put it up for sale. Was also looking at a Mk6 Golf GTi so it could swing either way!

I’m gona go out to the dealer on Saturday to see what the cost to get into an L40 is and I’ll make a decision.

I love the tech of the Leaf and the spec but it’s 2 years in the same car. That’s the longest I’ve had a car in over 10 years.

So 2 weeks later......

The X5 sold and the GTi sold before I could get a look at them. I had 2 viewings of my car lined up but I cancelled them as I decided that if I sold it, I couldn’t replace it for the money I was selling for (up for 10,500).

Nissan offered 11k over the phone as trade in for an L40 and told me to call out too see if a deal could be done but I haven’t called out.

I still have the itch to change but I may sit on it for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ioniq? If either Nissan or Hyundai can do you a deal for about €16k-17k plus your car, you'd be getting a pretty good deal. Try VW too.

It won't take much time and it will certainly not cost you any money to go have a chat with these dealers. If only to give yourself a more solid opinion of what is possible out there at the moment. Plenty of us here would be interested to hear the results too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Hi everyone, newbie here, want to ask a few questions.
    Thinking of buying an ev from the UK used.
    1:Buget around 6-8k total costs.
    2:Work + shopping are only a few miles away, but would like
    Around 80+ miles range for other trips, but I don't know much 'bout quick charge points etc.
    3:Would like if possible just a simple plug it into a normal socket inside garage??
    4:Average car size and/or a small hatchback type?

5: own the battery
    6:??

Your budget is very tight. It will buy an older Leaf, with the first generation battery that is prone to deterioration. Those barely had 80+ miles range when new. Now it will be a good bit less. If you up your budget slightly to 9k plus, you could find a 141 Leaf with the newer battery that will have less degradation and more range. Not quite 80+ miles though unless you drive it gently and well under the speed limit on motorways (and forget about that range in winter)

unkel wrote: »
    Ioniq? If either Nissan or Hyundai can do you a deal for about €16k-17k plus your car, you'd be getting a pretty good deal. Try VW too.

It won't take much time and it will certainly not cost you any money to go have a chat with these dealers. If only to give yourself a more solid opinion of what is possible out there at the moment. Plenty of us here would be interested to hear the results too!

I should have created a what next thread....
    If I borrow like that I’d want something with a decent range increase and performance increase to justify it.

Could I get an ioniq or eGolf?

• Advertisement

I guess it depends on your budget, personal preference and what kind of deal you can get. Talk to the dealers!

All three would be a very decent improvement on what you have. eGolf would be best as a drivers car, Ioniq for long range driving at speed and Leaf has the edge for range in city driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I should have created a what next thread....
    If I borrow like that I’d want something with a decent range increase and performance increase to justify it.

A certain dealer might have a 2017 eGolf due to go for sale soon......

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    A certain dealer might have a 2017 eGolf due to go for sale soon......

No harm looking. Any details?

I got a prixe today of £18k Sterling with my car for a 2018 L40 Tekna. White with 2 tone paint option, some add ons like the side strips and pro pilot.

No harm looking. Any details?

I got a prixe today of £18k Sterling with my car for a 2018 L40 Tekna. White with 2 tone paint option, some add ons like the side strips and pro pilot.

I think I will let said dealer advertise it first :P

Not that I have seen anything but if I did I would say "beautiful" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Tesla-Model-S-P85-2014-Metallic-Blue-Tech-Pack/292924409614?hash=item4433a7c70e:g:5BwAAOSwXc9cQdYV
    s-l500.jpg
    Model S P85 for £31k..Need I say more?

Apparently I need say more,
    Gratuitous photo of the owner/seller in last photo
    s-l500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hum, seems suspiciously cheap, or have these finally started to depreciate?

Sold already. What was the asking price?

And maybe it's wishful thinking, but I do expect them to start depreciating a bit more over the next year or so. All the early ones are now out of warranty and so are the later ones that have gone over 50k miles. I'm very tempted to buy one, but I'm holding off...

unkel wrote:
    Sold already. What was the asking price?

31,900 pounds Sterling!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

quick question - not sure if this is the place for it - but the Toyota radio advert on at the moment, the guy is tell his experience of buying a hybrid and he states that with the savings on Tax, Fuel and Insurnace - it adds up to the price of a holiday.

Are there insurance savings to be made when you are driving an electric or hybrid vehicle? What amount would we be talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

quick question - not sure if this is the place for it - but the Toyota radio advert on at the moment, the guy is tell his experience of buying a hybrid and he states that with the savings on Tax, Fuel and Insurnace - it adds up to the price of a holiday.

Are there insurance savings to be made when you are driving an electric or hybrid vehicle? What amount would we be talking about?
    It would depend on what he was driving before... It's just marketing, it's also Toyota so his car probably charges itself too...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Moreilly wrote: »
    It would depend on what he was driving before... It's just marketing, it's also Toyota so his car probably charges itself too...... ;)

Probably depends on the holiday too, for him it might be a week in Bundoran.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

thats what i figured - i wouldnt say its just marketing however - i would call it false advertising. its suggesting that driving a electric powered car will cost less to insure

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Many insurers do offer a discount for insuring electric or hybrid vehicles.

AIB offer a 20% discount:
    https://aib.ie/our-products/insurance/car-insurance

AA's insurance broker service details a 10% discount for hybrids from various companies:
    https://www.theaa.ie/car-insurance/a-look-at-hybrid-cars.aspx#

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Many insurers do offer a discount for insuring electric or hybrid vehicles.

AIB offer a 20% discount:
    https://aib.ie/our-products/insurance/car-insurance

AA's insurance broker service details a 10% discount for hybrids from various companies:
    https://www.theaa.ie/car-insurance/a-look-at-hybrid-cars.aspx#

Thats all well and good as long as they don't stick 15% on first, then give you a 20% discount.

Try get a quote for a €26k family EV like an Ioniq and for a similar spec €26k family diesel like an Octavia. Most of the quotes will be lower for the EV

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats all well and good as long as they don't stick 15% on first, then give you a 20% discount.

That’s exactly what they do, any of these offers are bull***t

Take the 10 off 50 in Dunnes, pure scam....the price of everything in the shop increased, not hugely but enough to mean the 10 off is not anything close to 10 off

My insurance went from 550 euro on a 2 liter 2008 Saab, down to 385 on 191 Ioniq EV ;)

Back on topic, does anyone else think that Modle S is suspiciously cheap? I was looking at buying one just a few months ago and there were none like that anywhere near that price range!

I wonder had the Model 3 coming "soon"
    hit Model S prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

BigAl81 wrote: »
    My insurance went from 550 euro on a 2 liter 2008 Saab, down to 385 on 191 Ioniq EV ;)

Back on topic, does anyone else think that Modle S is suspiciously cheap? I was looking at buying one just a few months ago and there were none like that anywhere near that price range!

I wonder had the Model 3 coming "soon"
    hit Model S prices?

As someone stated earlier insurance costs can reduce depending on what car you are coming from. In general newer cars have more safety equipment onboard and some insurers allow for this.

Yeah but if my Saab was damaged / written off / stolen they'd be on the hook for about 1 grand, they're on the hook for about 30 times more risk with the new Ioniq!

Doesn't make sense to me but I'm not complaining ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Yeah but if my Saab was damaged / written off / stolen they'd be on the hook for about 1 grand, they're on the hook for about 30 times more risk with the new Ioniq!

Doesn't make sense to me but I'm not complaining ;)
    The risk primarily revolves around you being in an accident that you caused and the costs that fall out of that. The less risk of that occurring, the better your policy works out. Granted this is not the full risk but that's the logic I'd be thinking is involved.

Exactly that. Young male drivers cause far fewer accidents than young female drivers. But a tiny few of the accidents that young male drivers cause are so expensive to resolve from an insurance point of view, that all young male drivers get loaded premiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Exactly that. Young male drivers cause far fewer accidents than young female drivers. But a tiny few of the accidents that young male drivers cause are so expensive to resolve from an insurance point of view, that all young male drivers get loaded premiums.

Where did you get that statistic from? Can you link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

beauf wrote: »
    Where did you get that statistic from? Can you link to it.

bit of googling helps:

"The basic facts

Of the 212 peope who died on Irish roads during 2010, 38% were aged under 25.
    One in five drivers has an accident in the first year of driving.
    Nearly 15,000 teenage passengers were casualties in road accidents in 2006. 167 were killed. Many of these would have been in cars driven by teenage drivers.
    Teenage females of driving age are 33 per cent more likely to be killed or seriously injured while travelling as passengers than as drivers. Males of the same age are 50 per cent more likely to be killed as drivers than passengers. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I did google. Neither what I found or what you said backs up Unkels comment. Almost all of them say the opposite. So I gave up and asked the question.
    Its a bit off topic and will derail the thread so lets leave there.

I've never found a insurance advertised discount that had any meaningful discount in reality. There was one for annual tax saver holders. Made no difference to my policy.
    Buying a younger car no difference, bigger engine, no difference.

The only difference seems to be competition and the market rate. It tends to fall in line with that. Unless they don't want you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Insurance companies are explicitly forbidden from using sex as premium determination factor.

Advertisement