Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

An 11 petrol or diesel can be bought for less money on DoneDeal and if minded can easily last another 7 or 8 yrs....from a purely economic point of view the 11 leaf is way too expensive

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ELM327 wrote: »
    Make the 4k budget 24k and you can have my Ioniq. Only caveat is you have to become a fanboi and clutter up the other threads talking about motorway efficiency and thermal management.

Out of curiosity, what does a 24k Ioniq look like (mileage, range, battery size, charging power etc)? It's in or around the sort of money i'd be willing to spend on a car, but i'm at the start of my EV research days, so i'm a bit green to it all.

I did some math, and it looks like an EV would save us about 1k a year, and every day I have my ICE it just depreciates (while we'll still end up spending ~€25k on an EV).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don’t think of a €24k Ioniq when Hyundai are doing €4K scrappage on a new one making it €26k

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Thanks.
    The fact that it may be worthless in 3 yrs time is very off putting to be honest.

Not worthless at all. Even with a range of maybe 40km in 3 years time it would still be a perfect second car used for school runs / small commute. Remember that once bought, an EV costs almost nothing to own.

And in about 7-10 years time, at the end of its life, it still has considerable value as the battery can be taken out and used as home attached storage for the next 15-20 years.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »
    Don’t think of a €24k Ioniq when Hyundai are doing €4K scrappage on a new one making it €26k

I don't have a car to scrap (well, my car is worth about 6k or so). Makes me regret selling the wifes mini for ~2k last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    An 11 petrol or diesel can be bought for less money on DoneDeal and if minded can easily last another 7 or 8 yrs....from a purely economic point of view the 11 leaf is way too expensive

If you think buying, running, and maintaining a 2011 petrol or diesel car makes more sense than a Leaf, I think you don’t understand economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Soarer wrote: »
    If you think buying, running, and maintaining a 2011 petrol or diesel car makes more sense than a Leaf, I think you don’t understand economics.

Ehh

Leaf can wrong too, controllers, electric motor, inverters etc ain't cheap if they fail

If they were everyone would be converting old ICE to EV

Ever see the component cost breakdown?

Not cheap

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Out of curiosity, what does a 24k Ioniq look like (mileage, range, battery size, charging power etc)? It's in or around the sort of money i'd be willing to spend on a car, but i'm at the start of my EV research days, so i'm a bit green to it all.

I did some math, and it looks like an EV would save us about 1k a year, and every day I have my ICE it just depreciates (while we'll still end up spending ~€25k on an EV).

There are two for private sale up on done deal at the mo, a 2017 and 2018:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-fully-electric-warranty-price-drop/20757337
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ioniq-electric/20826899

There's also 2017 for sale from a dealer:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-84-per-week/20757639

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Leaf can wrong too, controllers, electric motor, inverters etc ain't cheap if they fail

They don't fail. The only known issue on the Leaf is the rear axle which cost hundreds to fix, not thousands. Not a big deal.

unkel wrote: »
    They don't fail. The only known issue on the Leaf is the rear axle which cost hundreds to fix, not thousands. Not a big deal.

Everything fails

Leaf is not even 10 years old

• Advertisement

Ehh

If they were everyone would be converting old ICE to EV

Ever see the component cost breakdown?

Not cheap

Think it’s time for another change of username.

Everything fails

Leaf is not even 10 years old

Are you just trolling now? The chances of something failing on a 2011 Leaf costing more than a few hundred quid are almost zero. Very much unlike any petrol and particularly any diesel car of the same vintage.

Think it’s time for another change of username.

So annoying

EVs can go wrong too you know

Renault has had loads of issues with Zoe motors dieing, Tesla too

https://youtu.be/a5Bro10Nb9o

unkel wrote: »
    Are you just trolling now? The chances of something failing on a 2011 Leaf costing more than a few hundred quid are almost zero. Very much unlike any petrol and particularly any diesel car of the same vintage.

Not enough data to make that statement, cars are barely 8 years old

A petrol Corolla is not going to cost big money to fix either, dont see your point

It’s not just “fixing” though.
    It’s the general maintenance and running costs.

Actually, I couldn’t be arsed.

It’s not just “fixing” though.
    It’s the general maintenance and running costs.

Actually, I couldn’t be arsed.

Even that

What are you going to save over a 1k Yaris in running costs if a Leaf for 6k can only do 40km

Will take years to get back and u have to live with a range of 20km each way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

I don't have a car to scrap (well, my car is worth about 6k or so). Makes me regret selling the wifes mini for ~2k last year.

I've heard a few people buying cars to use in scrappage, think it just needs it's NCT. Sold the sister in laws yaris for €400 which had the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Not enough data to make that statement, cars are barely 8 years old

A petrol Corolla is not going to cost big money to fix either, dont see your point

It’s a real shame this forum has you trolling around the place putting people off the perfect car for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

GaryCocs wrote: »

I've heard a few people buying cars to use in scrappage, think it just needs it's NCT. Sold the sister in laws yaris for €400 which had the NCT.

Hyundai's terms & conditions for scrappage state:

"The scrappage car must have been owned by the customer for greater than 6 months"

and

Qualifying trade-in vehicles must:
    - be registered in the Republic of Ireland for at least 1 year.
    - have valid NCT and road tax certificates.
    - be currently insured and have been previously insured 4 months prior to trade-in

So, yes - you can buy to scrap but it's not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

They didn't even look at my scrappage car. I gave in the key and log book and that was it.

• Advertisement

Orebro wrote: »
    It’s a real shame this forum has you trolling around the place putting people off the perfect car for them.

What trolling?

I say alot of positive things about EVs

Kona I drove recently was class, would love one, have a deposit on Model 3 for years now

Do I think buying an 8k Leaf with a tesco value battery that degrades alot is good value over an old reliable Toyota for 1-2k

No

Its a throwaway car, Kona and the like are proper EVs, with proper batteries, designed to replace ICE

Surely easier ways to save 30e a week than put up with a 25km each way range EV

You'd want to be pretty hard up to put with that

Life is short and all

The original comparison was an '11 petrol or diesel versus an '11 Leaf, to which you replied that inverters/motors/batteries all go wrong in Leafs.
    Then you decided that an '11 Leaf can only do 50km, and should be compared to a petrol Corolla.
    Then you decided that a €1,000 Yaris is a more economical purchase than a €6,000 Leaf, which nobody would dispute.

But stop moving the goalposts.
    If a 2011 Leaf meets your daily driving needs, it'll be a vastly more economical option than an equivalently priced petrol or diesel.

What trolling?

I say alot of positive things about EVs

Kona I drove recently was class, would love one, have a deposit on Model 3 for years now

Do I think buying an 8k Leaf with a tesco value battery that degrades alot is good value over an old reliable Toyota for 1-2k

No

Its a throwaway car, Kona and the like are proper EVs, with proper batteries, designed to replace ICE

Surely easier ways to save 30e a week than put up with a 25km each way range EV

You'd want to be pretty hard up to put with that

Life is short and all

Like I said, a real shame this sort of trolling is tolerated here. (Not to mention the threatening PM you sent me).

Orebro wrote: »
    Like I said, a real shame this sort of trolling is tolerated here. (Not to mention the threatening PM you sent me).

Quit following me around the forum then old man

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Re-opened but I will keep an eye on this from now and go straight to bans if I think it's needed.

Not so sure if that's a bargain given the red one (granted without AP, but it was an 85) went for GBP31k and had several years warranty, this one has none.

But I do spot a trend: the Model S is finally coming down in value.

You and I will both be watching these like a hawk :D

Is it worth the risk going non-CPO?

That's the big question. The battery and drivetrain are under 8 year warranty so several years left even on the older cars. But the rest of the car isn't covered. Now I'd say most issues will have been ironed out and fixed under warranty at this stage, but I don't really know enough about them to assess the risk of '14 and '15 out of warranty cars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's higher spec than most low priced 85. I'd prefer a 60 with AP, dual chargers and cold pack to a low spec 85.

Indeed they are coming down, and indeed I'm watching like a hawk!

CPO is not the attraction it used to be, since they changed the program. All teslas sold in UK have a minimum of ~3 years warranty remaining anyway.
    And if a 2014/15 car is still on the road, it's likely had a battery/drivetrain replacement and functioning fine now.

Advertisement