Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Limited to Outlander owners, imiev/czero/ion, and earlier leafs.
    Oh and the volt/ampera

Everyone else has moved past 16a and type1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Personally I wouldnt buy a secondhand Rolec. The early 32A models gave trouble and since this one is used its likely to be one of those early models.

If you can get a picture of the RCBO behind the window that will tell you if its 16A or 32A and it will also tell if you if its the older or newer model. If it has B40 on it, walk away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

UK ebay, lots of cars for sale supplied with new charger and plenty of buyers on their second and subsequent EV so charger goes straight up for sale.
    I picked up a BNIB untethered 32A Pod Point charger for £150

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

unkel wrote: »
    16A tethered type 1 would have a very limited market at this stage. Wouldn't be worth anywhere near €275 if it was a 16A.

I was looking for a granny cable for a leaf recently and came across a 16A type 1 that was switchable between 16A & 10A (for a domestic 3-pin plug). It came in at €235 so the €275 seems high for a less functional charger that you have to permanently wire in place and can't bring with you to friends/family's houses.

474179.jpg
    Morec switchable 16amp/10Amp type 1 charger

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was looking for a granny cable for a leaf recently and came across a 16A type 1 that was switchable between 16A & 10A (for a domestic 3-pin plug). It came in at €235 so the €275 seems high for a less functional charger that you have to permanently wire in place and can't bring with you to friends/family's houses.

474179.jpg

Did you get this yet?
    The picture looks like a type 2 connection and the amazon ad only lists type 2 connectors but the leaf is type 1 or am I missing something obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Your could replace the plug with a 16 Amp plug and then add a socket for it near parking. The sockets are normally IP rated so fine for outside use if you slotted the evse lump under the bonnet while charging. Unless of course the box is IP rated too.

For trips to Granny's you could set the EVSE to 10 Amps and then use a suitable three pin plug to socket combo.

That's a type 2
    And it's wired for schuko which is central EU standard and nordics, not here.
    You will not be able to connect that to a leaf as it's type 2 whereas the leaf is type 1 (unless its an L40), and even if you could connect it to the car you'll have nowhere to plug it in as there are no schuko sockets here!

Caveat Emptor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's a good price IMO especially if it has the rapidgate "fix"
    At €30k it's a rip off but at £20k or better yet €20k the l40 is a great EV for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's a good price IMO especially if it has the rapidgate "fix"
    At €30k it's a rip off but at £20k or better yet €20k the l40 is a great EV for the money.

Pretty much exactly what I was saying on another thread yesterday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Every L40 can get the rapidgate fix for free but they need to ask for it.

The car is a plain vanilla SV without coldpack. The 16 inch wheels provide better ride quality and a bit more efficiency than the 17s on higher spec models. The blurb mention full LED headlamps which I doubt but the adaptive cruise and lane departure stuff is there. The asking if you can convert without losses is 22,722.29 so It's about 6-7k cheaper than a new SV would be so good saving.

Any super cheap Zoes out there?

Surely you are not signing up for a battery lease one?

Considering it, yes.
    I don't want to go back to fuel costs! (let's not divert the thread away from bargains)

Cheapest I see online is 7k, for battery lease, is that what one expects to pay for a battery lease Zoe? I seem to remember them being €5k at one point.

From about GBP6k, bad value for money, lease doesn't stop until you scrap the car. I know you don't want to go back to a Leaf under any circumstances :p

So how about an early i3? From about GBP10k. None of them have the range you had in Ioniq though, unless you go PHEV...

How much you pay last year and how much you sold Ioniq for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Considering it, yes.
    I don't want to go back to fuel costs! (let's not divert the thread away from bargains)

Cheapest I see online is 7k, for battery lease, is that what one expects to pay for a battery lease Zoe? I seem to remember them being €5k at one point.

The lease costs as much as fuel!! And you need to find someone to buy the damn thing off you afterwards... and transfer the lease to them!

No leaf, no I3.
    Zoe is the only EV option due to setup (type 2 at home, scarce but 22kW work charging available, in a Zoe I will always get 1 hour in the evening to get me home)

Made a small profit on Ioniq between sale amount and the amount owing on the loan. It's gone to a boardsie, will leave it up to them if they want to publicise or not. They got a great deal due to it being on finance.

Need 80km range and 22kW AC capability.

Really don't want to derail the thread from bargains

Really don't want to derail the thread from bargains

I understand, but I really don't want you to make a hasty decision and come to regret it :(

Why the hang up about having to work charge when you can charge at home? You'll save €10 per month work charging but it will cost you €70 in lease (figures made up, but I doubt I'd be too far off)

With an i3 you don't have the lease and if you buy a low end one, it will hold its value well

A lease Zoe is not a bargain. Not at GBP6k, not even at GBP5k or GBP4k, unless you don't mind scrapping it after a few years to get out of the lease. A battery lease ZOE should not be mentioned at all in this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I understand, but I really don't want you to make a hasty decision and come to regret it :(

Why the hang up about having to work charge when you can charge at home? You'll save €10 per month work charging but it will cost you €70 in lease (figures made up, but I doubt I'd be too far off)

With an i3 you don't have the lease and if you buy a low end one, it will hold its value well

A lease Zoe is not a bargain. Not at GBP6k, not even at GBP5k or GBP4k, unless you don't mind scrapping it after a few years to get out of the lease. A battery lease ZOE should not be mentioned at all in this thread :pac:

Yeah, imagine buying the wrong car... again. :D:D

Have to work charge and home charge with a zoe as it won't do the return trip! 120km mostly motorway.
    There's one at merlin's but apparently it sold.
    I have about €5-€6k in liquid savings so not going to get an i3 with that, if I can't get a zoe it will unfortunately be back to a fossil car for a while. Would prefer a Zoe to that though.
    Yeah, imagine buying the wrong car... again. :D:D

If that's a barb at me I haven't ever bought the wrong car, circumstances change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

Considering it, yes.

there is a lease Zoe for sterling 5.5 k on autotrader but with the time involved and cost of transport its really working out at the same price as here , i understand the attraction of the fast ac charging but i coundnt pay a never ending lease .. although whats the buy out cost on the lease of a cheap Zoe nowadays,
    i think somewhere between 2.5 and 4 k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Officially there is no buy back... Don't know if theres any unofficial buy back,
    But, there's no real financial reason for the finance company (that runs the lease scheme)
    to offer a buy out, the cars and batteries have many years of life left, and Renault seem happy to keep refurbing old batteries to 80%..
    And the longer they can keep leasing them out the more profit they make..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Buy it with battery lease included and then rip out the SIM card and never pay the lease :D

stesaurus wrote: »
    Buy it with battery lease included and then rip out the SIM card and never pay the lease :D
    Allegedly that only works for fluences :D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

Markcheese wrote: »
    Officially there is no buy back... Don't know if theres any unofficial buy back,
    But, there's no real financial reason for the finance company (that runs the lease scheme)
    to offer a buy out, the cars and batteries have many years of life left, and Renault seem happy to keep refurbing old batteries to 80%..
    And the longer they can keep leasing them out the more profit they make..

i have seen them on autotrader before from dealers saying you could buy out the lease... but that could have been horse emissions from the dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I could find nothing verified. So I have to assume it's all not true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

So how about an early i3? From about GBP10k.

Just wondering where you've seen these for sale for £10k?

I'm interested in getting a used one, even the high mileage ones on Autotrader seem to start at more like 11.5-12k+

Yeah they are well out of that range on Autotrader. But you do get ones on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

ltd440 wrote: »
    i have seen them on autotrader before from dealers saying you could buy out the lease... but that could have been horse emissions from the dealer

You'll find prices people have gotten for buying out the lease on SpeakEV but from memory it's basically the price a new battery.

Battery lease is zoe makes basically zero sense. https://pushevs.com/2019/02/10/renault-zoe-ze-40-full-battery-specs/ this is for the 40 but I imagine the 20 being less energy dense is subjected to less heat and can survive a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can find people who bought out the lease on a leaf.

But not a Zoe. Lots of rumours not nothing else it seems.

Advertisement