Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

ELM327 wrote: »
    No leaf, no I3.
    Zoe is the only EV option due to setup (type 2 at home, scarce but 22kW work charging available, in a Zoe I will always get 1 hour in the evening to get me home)

Made a small profit on Ioniq between sale amount and the amount owing on the loan. It's gone to a boardsie, will leave it up to them if they want to publicise or not. They got a great deal due to it being on finance.

Need 80km range and 22kW AC capability.

Really don't want to derail the thread from bargains

I actually ended up buying ELM327's Ioniq from Phil so out of respect for all, I'd rather not disclose any price except to agree that I did get a good deal...

OK, not to derail the thread any further, back to (more) bargains with you now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I actually ended up buying ELM327's Ioniq from Phil

So ELM327 sold to Phil and you bought from Phil? :confused:

Anyway well wear, we'll see you in the Ioniq thread :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I actually ended up buying ELM327's Ioniq from Phil so out of respect for all, I'd rather not disclose any price except to agree that I did get a good deal...

OK, not to derail the thread any further, back to (more) bargains with you now :)

Well wear, saw that shared on facebook and was wondering if it was ELM's alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The market is hard in Ireland to sell privately a high priced car. I had this before with the Audi A6. Nobody wanted to buy it from me at a price that was very very reasonable. I traded it in and it was put up for sale at 4k more than I was looking for it. Car was sold within a week. Take 1k discount and you are still looking at a 3k saving if they bought from me.....

Similar to eGolf, a dealer is selling a very similar version to mine at 3k more expensive, they have sold one and have another up since I put mine up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not to mention if you have finance on the car too. That may as well be martian to most Irish buyers. Hence why I was happy that phil sold the car on my behalf. Worked for everyone.

• Advertisement

Ioniq was still under full manufacturers warranty though, so any possible issue and any Hyundai dealer will fix it free of charge. So that's no reason to not buy privately. I agree though that most Irish buyers shy away from buying a car with finance owing. Not a big deal either once you know what's involved, but it puts a lot of people off.

unkel wrote: »
    Ioniq was still under full manufacturers warranty though, so any possible issue and any Hyundai dealer will fix it free of charge. So that's no reason to not buy privately. I agree though that most Irish buyers shy away from buying a car with finance owing. Not a big deal either once you know what's involved, but it puts a lot of people off.
    Oh I know all of that (and if I ever see a car being sold while under finance I'll buy it as I will get a great deal!) but most people are put off.

On the bargains front I was looking at a Zoe in Merlins but it is already sold

Expect to see it up on DD later for 1k more

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

unkel wrote: »
    So ELM327 sold to Phil and you bought from Phil? :confused:

Anyway well wear, we'll see you in the Ioniq thread :)

Would everyone have done better if Phil wasn't involved? (sorry Phil if you're reading this, just curious)

Yes of course. Phil ain't no charity, he needs to put bread on the table. But I'm delighted everybody is happy with the deal!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would everyone have done better if Phil wasn't involved? (sorry Phil if you're reading this, just curious)
    Yes, but private customers don't like deals involving finance.
    I wasn't likely to be able to sell it privately, I made a profit, Phil made a profit I'm sure (and it's his business so he should make a profit!!) and plenty of meat left on the bone to give a good deal to the end purchaser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If buying a car on finance privately, how can you be sure the seller will use your payment for the car to actually clear the finance?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

ELM327 wrote: »
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Yes, but private customers don't like deals involving finance.
    I wasn't likely to be able to sell it privately, I made a profit, Phil made a profit I'm sure (and it's his business so he should make a profit!!) and plenty of meat left on the bone to give a good deal to the end purchaser.

Exactly. No disrespect to ELM327 but I wouldn't have been happy buying a car with outstanding finance.
    Regardless, I wouldn't have connected with ELM327 without Phil.

If buying a car on finance privately, how can you be sure the seller will use your payment for the car to actually clear the finance?

You can't

You can

You pay the finance company the outstanding balance and you pay the private seller the rest of the agreed price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The way I’ve done it before is get the final bill (ask the seller to get this). It will have the bank details on it. Pay the money into the bank account yourself on the day with the seller and pay him the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I met seller, I phoned VW bank on speakerphone, he confirmed his details to them and we both heard settlement figure and account details, walked into my bank together, did bank transfer x2, handed him receipt for settlement + receipt for transfer to his own account.

Even signed transfer of ownership in the bank, popped it in a stamped envelope and asked the teller to post it please!

No chance for either side to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

conor_mc wrote: »
    I met seller, I phoned VW bank on speakerphone, he confirmed his details to them and we both heard settlement figure and account details, walked into my bank together, did bank transfer x2, handed him receipt for settlement + receipt for transfer to his own account.

Even signed transfer of ownership in the bank, popped it in a stamped envelope and asked the teller to post it please!

No chance for either side to pull a fast one.

Did the same with banking 365 with the seller next to me. Got a discount of seller for the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

With Tesla cutting the price of it's S, X, and 3, I wonder if this will filter down to the second hand market. Will we see the S and X drop enough in price to tempt those of us on the edge of Tesla ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Fingers crossed!

With Tesla cutting the price of it's S, X, and 3, I wonder if this will filter down to the second hand market. Will we see the S and X drop enough in price to tempt those of us on the edge of Tesla ownership?

Hardly anytime soon
    The lack of supply is the issue, not the OMV

• Advertisement

Hope it will, but with the tiny supply and the ever getting bigger demand for EVs, I doubt it.

Nearly everybody I talk to now knows EVs are the imminent future. Only some dinosaurs are still trying to resist it. Good few of them in the main motors forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How long before the model 3 standard range (or basic or what ever) makes it over here...
    And any gueses on price range... Still sounds like a lot of car for the money (in the US..)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

slave1 wrote: »

Anyhooo, back to bargains, this one gone in a flash

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

That was quick.

slave1 wrote: »
    Anyhooo, back to bargains, this one gone in a flash

Soon to pop up on donedeal for 28k

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Electric Autos seem to be giving a free zappi with every car for the next few weeks, installation included.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Electric Autos seem to be giving a free zappi with every car for the next few weeks, installation included.

Up till Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

What is the opinion on this...?
    What would one who knows nothing about electric cars look for ?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf/21023376

PS... I'm not intending to drive from Dublin to Donegal via Cork anytime soon !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

swarlb wrote: »
    What is the opinion on this...?
    What would one who knows nothing about electric cars look for ?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf/21023376

PS... I'm not intending to drive from Dublin to Donegal via Cork anytime soon !

I'd find 100kms range in cold/wet roads weather with 2bars gone in a Leaf24 highly dubious

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement