Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla occasionally allow transfer of free SuC to a new vehicle purchase, they deffo had it for a while last year on the Y here or UK, can't remember exact details, you didn't even have to trade the car in

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,310 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For 99% of Tesla owners in Ireland, free unlimited lifetime supercharging is worth no more than a couple hundred euro per year. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭gossamerfabric

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I agree that it's not good for Tesla, but the car for life their own making: No smooth upgrade path for the owners, unstable pricing, too cheap to own the current car that gets updated frequently. The best way to attract repeat customers would be to offer sane trade in valuations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

the only people who think their Tesla is a car for life are the folks who traded out of a 10yo diesel Passat into this amazing new thing and subsequently had to swallow additional depreciation they hadn’t expected in the form of price drops.

Just look at the amount of current Tesla owners looking to swap to the highland.

With the arrival of the highland and these price drops, you’d be mad to buy a second hand M3 today unless it’s a proper fire sale price.

The one that’s “cheapest on the market” is now no longer a bargain

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There are many posters on here who are in Skodas for life or VW’s for life etc etc

What’s the difference with them?

Some people genuinely run a car for 10 plus years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Quite a lot of people in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Probably targeting me: No, never had a diesel, the last two cars before the Model 3 were two new leafs. Before that two SAABs, a Merc, and a FIAT. The Model 3 is the only car that I ever have had that I really are not bored. I guess it helps that it has twice the power over the 9-5 Aero I had before jumping in the EV bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭allinthehead

My last car was an Is300h, before that a 6 cylinder petrol 5 series and before that a Suburu Legacy 4 pot petrol.

Last time I bought a diesel was in 2008 and that was an 6 cylinder A4 Avant Quattro.

M3 is by far the best car I've owned, I plan to keep it.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Broad stroke there. I bought a 222 M3, so at the height of the market when there were delays in getting other cars. High price, but I did really want one and the car does not disappoint. The one thing I dislike is that it's not a hatch, so I briefly considered swapping out for a MY, but decided not to, ultimately preferring the M3 overall. Never bought brand new before the M3.

Before the M3, we had 2 Leaf 24s. Before that, we had all petrol cars….I HATE DIESEL. Samples include E200K, Zafira, FTOs, Astra, 318iSE and others.

I'm pretty sure we will keep the M3 for a good 10 years. Nothing to do with depreciation, or losses. I was happy enough to pay what I paid and there is no point whining about car values unless you change every 2-3 years from new, which is nuts IMO. We tend to trade our second car, which is currently a 2018 Leaf 40 I picked up 2 weeks ago. Quite likely the next second car will be another M3, or MY (a 2022 model) in 2-3 years.

Stay Free

Same here. Hate diesel, never owned one. Had plenty of nice cars, many BMWs, almost all with straight 6 or V8 engines. On my second Tesla Model S now and can't see changing it for a long time. There is simply nothing else like it.

ignore the ‘diesel’ wors lads, I meant people traded into a €45-60k Model 3 back in 2020 from an older cheaper car because at that time is was a revolutionary vehicle, I remember all those conversations here well.

it’s a perfectly legitimate reason to keep it. I did exactly the same thing - bought a €58k car in 2015 and kept it until this year simply because the only car I would consider trading into was another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭flatty

Could I ask what would be the cost of importing this?

This I mean

https://go.skimresources.com/?id=61111X1383796&isjs=1&jv=15.5.0&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fdiscussion%2F2057685376%2Fthis-weeks-ev-bargain-that-im-not-buying%2Fp368&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.autotrader.co.uk%2Fcar-details%2F202404168683570%3Fsort%3Dprice-asc%26advertising-location%3Dat_cars%26fuel-type%3DElectric%26make%3DCitroen%26postcode%3DBT82%25208AX%26radius%3D80%26fromsra&xs=1&xtz=-60&xuuid=7da32ae33475be6e038fc865415a06f4&xcreo=500005&xjsf=other_click__contextmenu%20%5B-1%5D

I've been trying (and failing) to ask about the import price on this. Does anyone know. I was looking at unkel's leaf but my work may require an occasional 140km round trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭User1998

Your posting a link to an add that doesn’t exist anymore. All import costs can be easily found on Revenues website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Firblog

Cheapest e-Niro for sale? https://www.adverts.ie/car/kia/niro/kia-niro-2021/33355034 Does the fact that it was used as a taxi affect the warranty?

Can't see it being a problem, but it would be prudent to get some quotes before you buy

I had a '96 BMW, converted from diesel to electric and had it insured as a classic car with no issues. It was also properly converted, so had an engineer's report submitted when it was officially re-classified as an electric car for motor tax and also passed the NCT as electric

The Amarok is no use to you though, it has similar range to an early Leaf at about 80km (winter). And the Leaf has DC fast charging, so you could occasionally do a longer trip. Charge for 30-50 minutes. The Amarok can only AC slow charge, so a 140km trip would literally take all day as charging up half way through would take 4-5 hours 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a 58k golf in 2015 must have been a Golf R ? or is this a different car?

Yep most of my previous cars were 6 cyl BMWS, had a few moments of weakness with diesel but never again, they are hateful things.

I had one moment of weakness about a beautiful looking 525d E60 with gorgeous tan leather comfort seats, when literally everyone around me was buying diesels, I started to question my own sanity about avoiding them. But thankfully I bought a petrol. And I know only too well that for someone doing a huge annual mileage, diesel was the only financially viable option at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DrPsychia

The 2011-2012 9-5 Aero was way ahead of it's time, such a stunning car, especially the rear end. I was so sad to see Saab go bankrupt.

Love the looks of it too, sadly pretty much all of them were diesel, that's why I never seriously considered buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I know that Hyundai has a clause in their terms & conditions that shortens the Warranty period if the car is used as a taxi. I would be surprised if Kia does not have the same but I can't find anything for it online. Perhaps they don't but I would be wary and call into a Kia dealership and ask it directly before buying an ex-taxi e-Niro.

I know, I've had pimpy high end cars aplenty before though, but what I've always wanted is a pickup truck. That would be a discretionary luxury purchase only. I'm having a meeting in an hour about potential work sites so I should know more soon.

I just struggle with diesel poisoning the air for everyone else, and feel guilty every time I start that yeti.

Ive been spinning around in my sister's eup and it's mighty albeit it makes me feel slightly carsick. I got a spin in an Audi etron a while back though and felt ill within 2 miles. (I can spend all day on a ferry and not feel ill in the slightest 🤔)

different car - I priced the R at €52.5k at the time, and baulked at what I thought would be the higher depreciating car - how wrong was I.

Well sorted/untuned Lapiz ones with the spider alloys are still comfortably mid 20’s, and I sold the €58k car for €19.5k (still a great price imho, was v happy), but the R has only depreciated €26-28k in almost 9 years, and it’s hitting the tuner market now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The only electric pickup currently available thats electric is a crappy Maxus 2wd.

Ford have started selling the F150 EV in Norway and switzerland, they sell them with CCS2 and EU/EEA type approval so could start selling them in the rest of the EU/EEA too. Not cheap though, 1.1m NOK or 100k EUR plus

• Advertisement

Advertisement