Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

it’s a stressful time to be a Tesla fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Not sure if its been posted or not!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq/36732015

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

2017 Tesla Model S for €21,000. Not a car I would personally buy but does look good value. Anyone have any idea how the battery is on those Tesla’s after 7 to 10 years? I see some very cheap 2014 ones which advertise their range as being the same as the day they got it

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/36806252

• Registered Users Posts: 65,285 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Beware the car is on NI plates, only free to import if it was registered in NI before the brexit cut off date. Also it will need an NCT immediately and I doubt you can expect any warranty from the dealer in NI when push comes to shove.

That said, it is a bargain, as it is a facelift model. To answer your question, these have good motors that are not known to fail and the battery compartment is properly sealed, so no more battery issues that earlier cars suffered from. Both are under Tesla warranty until some time next year anyway though - with unlimited mileage.

And as I have mentioned many times on this thread, the range in the ads on DoneDeal is automatically populated by DoneDeal. The seller can't do anything about that. A typical Tesla Model S battery state of health (and thus range) with average mileage and 8 years old is somewhere between 90-95% of what it was when new. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

Thank you very much for all of that information. The advert said something about there being no VRT so I guess it was registered before the cut off date! I know very little about electric cars but if it really does still have 90 to 95% of its range then it is fantastic value. It’s a whole lot of car for the money

• Advertisement

There's no VRT because the value of the car is below the VRT threshold. That much is certain.The seller claims there is no VAT and Duty (about 33% in total of the invoice value of the car). They are right if the above condition in my previous post is met. But it will be up to you to prove that to the revenue commissioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Does the new rules that came into play on may 1st not mean it just needs to have been in private ownership in the North "for a reasonable amount of time"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭positron

What is a reasonable period of time? Such hight quality law- making by the government.

What is the catch, this is all getting very confusing... Does this open up motors imported from UK to NI between X to Y dates cheaper to import to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The test of reasonableness is a very well established legal tenet. It is established on a case by case basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭pah

Is that a reasonable amount of time since 1st May or since it was first brought in to NI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭pah

So there is no vat or customs on any NI cars once the reasonable period is satisfied? Pre or post brexit is irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭positron

Nice car. If it wasn't for the colour and 4 previous owners, I would have gone for it.. It's the colour mostly.

The number of owners wouldn't bother me. 7 years old, 4 owners? The colour is subjective but I tend to agree with you on the multicoat red. It looks great if you keep the car well clean, but gets rather dull if you are like me and you are not into washing your cars religiously

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭User1998

4 owners in 7 years isn’t bad at all. And the ownership resets to 0 on the Irish logbook anyway.

I fail to see how the amount of owners even matter on an EV, it makes no difference what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,883 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Of course it does on any vehicle. Wear interior wear, how they look after it condition, driving styles, suspension, upkeep. Owners matter on any vehicle the more there are the less they tend to get cared for it's all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭GSBellew

From Revenue.ie

"Vehicles purchased after 30 April 2024 can be registered in the State without being subject to these additional requirements. These vehicles will still require proof of Customs Declaration or proof that the vehicle has been in private ownership in NI for a reasonable period of time."

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/registering-vehicles-from-ni.aspx

Why would 4 owners cause more wear to the interior than 1 owner? That really depends on how fat the drivers is and if there were any kids in the car.

Ownership history is irrelevant on a petrol or diesel car as long as its been serviced and maintained correctly. A 1 owner car could be absolutely ragged and never serviced whereas the high owner car could have been well looked after and driven sensibly. You just don’t know these things which is why service history is always more important than owners.

But when it comes to an EV, there is no real service history and it doesn’t matter if you ragged the car from cold, hense why it is less important. Even the most careless of owner would struggle to do any damage to the internals of an EV, the only way to do that is by constantly fast charging.

I get the appeal of a 1 owner car, I always try buy 1 owner cars myself but on a 7 year old EV I wouldn’t care about 4 owners. Especially if its a bargain.

And if you want a real bargain, it doesn't help if you are picky. As you simply limit your chances of getting one. Particularly about rather irrelevant things like number of owners, colour of the car, county of the license plates, etc.

• Advertisement

Generally speaking the more owners and or drivers a car has had the less care that will have been taken of it, you are more likely to see kerbed wheels, damaged trim and general scruffyness in a multiple owner car.

I certainly would not rule a car in or out based on number of owners or mileage, any car needs to be evaluated on its own merits.

Not sure if the add was posted here, one of the lads in work bought a 23 Kona for £9k 😯

Damaged yes, but only the front bumper, new replacement supplied with the car, it is running, driving, charging etc 6k miles on it. As far as I'm concerned that is a bargain.

I was looking at damaged ones in auctions since & they do seem to go quite cheaply, are they any good at all ?

Why would 4 owners put more wear.

Ya OK. The starting premise is ridiculous it's fairly obvious answer.

Seriously, how would 4 different people sitting in a car cause more interior wear than 1 person? You do realise that 4 60kg owners would cause way less interior wear than 1 120kg owner. And they would also cause way less wear than someone who had kids, someone who had lots of passengers, someone who used the car as a taxi, someone who does high mileage, someone with lots of luggage, someone who does outdoor activities loading the back up with bikes and muddy boots etc.

I’ve seen some 1 owner cars that are like an absolute pig sty, and higher owner cars that are mint. And vice versa.

More owners on a car attract lower valuation. Meaning cheaper car meaning often people who just want the cheapest car. They don't care much about the vehicle nor up keep. They won't hoover it they don't care if it gets dirty or marked. The plastics get messed up they don't clean it or use random house hold stuff to clean stuff. Maintenance is out the window.

You know this yourself. Otherwise you wouldn't be keen to point out bringing cars in from the UK resets owner numbers. No doubt you don't mention UK owner figures when selling a car as your keenly aware there's higher risk that you'll lose value.

None of this should need to be written down it's well established.

First owner takes more care (it is a new car), second less so (it is a used car), third less so again and again so on.

Not necessarily. Plenty of first owners have the car as a company car or on lease. Probably a lot more of those than people who actually buy the car. They don't own it and don't take care of it.

Anyway, I don't pay much attention to the number of owners, I would judge the car on its own merit. And that said, if you are fussy about anything, your an unlikely candidate to ever buy a real bargain…

Majority of cars on Irish roads are not company cars.

Did you read my post? The majority of brand new cars bought today in Ireland are either company cars or leased (PCP). Not owned by the driver.

• Advertisement

Not sure what relevance pcp has on it. If you asked those people they own the car. What bearing that had on a 4 owner car being worth less than a 1 owner car in unclear.

Once again their are people here arguing that ownership numbers have no bearing on the state or value of a car. It's like arguing with a wall . Crazy stuff.

Advertisement