Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KCross wrote: »
    I'd be worried about buying a 2nd hand Tesla from the outset but buying one in an auction would seem to be an even scarier prospect.

You have to ask yourself why its in an auction in the first place since they are holding their value well outside auctions.... my initial toughts would be that there is something wrong with it.

Warranty wont cover everything.

I'd want a good test drive before I'd buy a Tesla at auction. Do they let you drive it first... I think some auctions dont?

I havent bought at auction so maybe I have it wrong.
    I've bought many cars sight unseen at auction so it wouldnt be an issue.
    As Teslas are EVs there's less to go wrong than a fossil car, get it cheap enough to cover any unforeseen issues (all likelihood there won't be) and job's a good 'un imo

Actually he's just raised the price.
    I note the history check shows finance outstanding, I'd steer well clear so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Auction Tesla that is less than 8 years old is a very safe bet as far as the drivetrain is concerned. You just have to make sure it wasn't crashed before and recorded with Tesla as they can apparently (at least in US) bar you from using their chargers if they haven't inspected it post repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

ELM327 wrote: »
    I've bought many cars sight unseen at auction so it wouldnt be an issue.
    As Teslas are EVs there's less to go wrong than a fossil car, get it cheap enough to cover any unforeseen issues (all likelihood there won't be) and job's a good 'un imo

Have you read about the price of replacing an electric motor in a Model S and the reliability of same motors in older cars? (e.g. Rich Rebuilds on the youtoob...)
    When the warranty expires, do you want to be with that sword hanging over your head when there will be a nice selection of much cheaper cars coming on the market in the near future with long warranty periods for similar or less money (or maybe you just want to flip it...).
    If that doesn't faze you then I salute you for your bravery and the best of luck.

pdpmur wrote: »
    Have you read about the price of replacing an electric motor in a Model S.

I hear they are F.O.C. for the first 8 years and as all/most of them failed due to a design fault within a short distance the chances are that no person will ever need to pay for one unless you happen to buy a 2013 model year car with less than say 50 k miles on the clock.

The batteries are the same. F.O.C. for the first 8 years with unlimited miles warranty (for the bigger packs). Drive 1 milllion miles within the 8 years and Tesla will sort you out F.O.C. without even need for a single service with them if you so prefer.

How many ICE cars have 8 year unlimited mile drivetrain warranty without a single oil change?

• Advertisement

pdpmur wrote: »
    Have you read about the price of replacing an electric motor in a Model S and the reliability of same motors in older cars? (e.g. Rich Rebuilds on the youtoob...)
    When the warranty expires, do you want to be with that sword hanging over your head when there will be a nice selection of much cheaper cars coming on the market in the near future with long warranty periods for similar or less money (or maybe you just want to flip it...).
    If that doesn't faze you then I salute you for your bravery and the best of luck.

If there's a 2014 S still on the road then it has had its motor replaced. At least once, under warranty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

New photos added.

For a marque that does "cheap" interiors, it certainly seems to be holding up well foe 260k miles!

For sure
    ANd you can see it has AP1.

"For a Mercedes-Benz mileage is just increased numbers on the milometer". For that Model S, 3 years of unlimited mileage drivetrain warranty is still left after the first 259k miles on the clock. Beat that Mercedes or BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

As a matter of interest, what would people be prepared to pay for the same car in three year's time when there's only only 3 months of battery/drivetrain warranty left and maybe another 50k on the clock? Bear in mind that there will also be an array of other 1 and 2 year old ev's to choose from by then (e.g. Niro, Kona Neo etc) with longer remaining warranty periods remaining and with much less mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Do you have trade access to those auctions or how does it work?
    Buying at auction would be the easiest way to get a cheap Tesla IMO, they all have factory battery and drivetrain warranty for 8 years from date of first reg anyway.

Ballpark figure on how much it went for, if possible??

If it is the same car, it wen for just over £29k. I don't have trade access personally, but use a guy in the UK who does & would be well known. I've bought a few cars from him in the last few years and his website gives indicative sales prices. He'll always answer an email or phone call and give a guide price on a car.

To those sceptical of buying at UK auctions - it's a different world to auctions here. You still need your wits about you but most of the stock is good quality ex-lease or manufacturer direct still under warranty & with service history.

I didn't get a Tesla in the end, went for a PHEV option - just take delivery of a very fresh BMW 530E MSport - delighted with it so far!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »

Clearly park assist is malfunctioning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Category S. At some point this vehicle suffered structural damage, probably in an accident, and has subsequently been written off by the insurer as it was uneconomical to repair. This damage could be to any part of the vehicle’s structural frame including the chassis. The decision to apply Category S to this vehicle was dependent on the level of damage and on the age and condition of the vehicle.Category S vehicles may be repaired and put back on the road.
    Perhaps not such good value.

Compared to a non catd 2016 s90d it's a good £10k less. I'd say that prices the cat d in nicely.

If you can get a structural report from Tesla, along with before and after photos, then I'd reckon it's good value.

axe2grind wrote: »
    Perhaps not such good value.

That Category S was not noted on the ad when I posted it originally, I'd never link to a Cat X sale as it's something I'd never contemplate myself regardless.

Possibly the cheapest Irish Ioniq EV for sale so far
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/21540390

And it's not white!

It's a personal little bugbear of mine, but why not charge the battery to full and then take a picture of the range? Show the car in its best possible light.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Does the like of the battery warranty transfer along through subsequent owners ?
    I’m trying to figure when they get on in age and down to say tue €10k price tag woukdntue last say 2 years warranty pass on to say the 3 or 4th owner.

Say at 10yo I had to change a battery, what sort of € would that cost. ,

From a pure Financial Perspective I'd still lean towards bringing in a Leaf30 from the UK with reduced range in comparison but better App functionality as it would be a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Does the like of the battery warranty transfer along through subsequent owners ?
    yes, both warranty's transfer

No one knows yet, that model is only a few years old so we have no real world experience of battery replacement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nobody knows yet.
    Even the 2011 Leaf hasn't required battery changes yet. But they did suffer from degradation that the Ioniq shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

On a German forum there are 2 year old Ioniqs at over 100,000 kms and still have 100% battery health. There's even one that has had nothing but DC charging! :eek:

Are they not 30 batteries so if they have degraded to 28 then they would still show 100% with perhaps 2/30 or 6.7% degradation taking into account the "hidden" buffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Are they not 30 batteries so if they have degraded to 28 then they would still show 100% with perhaps 2/30 or 6.7% degradation taking into account the "hidden" buffer?

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but these guys are using data from the OBD2 port.

There's still no Ioniq version of LeafSpy is there?

Twould be hard to move away from that.

Again, this is not how degradation works.
    An Ioniq with 30.7KWh gross and 28kWh net with 10% degradation will have 27.63kWh gross and 25.2kWh usable.

Soarer wrote: »
    There's still no Ioniq version of LeafSpy is there?

Twould be hard to move away from that.

You can use torquepro on android but no such solution exists on ios in Europe.

US cars have an app like leafspy

So in effect the car's software retains a consistent buffer throughout battery life (on the Ioniq), good to know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So in effect the car's software retains a consistent buffer throughout battery life (on the Ioniq), good to know

In every battery produced, there’s a legal size and the useable size.
    The leaf is a 24kwh unit but useable is 21 something.

Similar to a usb storage device. It’s advertised at 32gb but the useable space is only 29.75 or whatever.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    In every battery produced, there’s a legal size and the useable size.
    The leaf is a 24kwh unit but useable is 21 something.

Similar to a usb storage device. It’s advertised at 32gb but the useable space is only 29.75 or whatever.

But drive storage is based off 8bit calculations so it's to do with the fact 1MB = 1,024KB which was not an issue back in the day's of low storage but is now we are at TB levels.
    I'll leave my head at the Leaf24 is 21 usable due to "system" reserved space

Advertisement