Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

They're looking for 11,950, hard to see them accepting 10k. I wonder what wear and tear bills would it be prone to?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ID4, out of warranty so the big risks here are failing door handles, latches, headlights and leaking glass roof.

All common problems and normally covered by warranty but not on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,540 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They are now, but earlier the asking price was €10,950 and the seller was generous in allowing a discount for whatever a full valet would cost. So if you had shown up immediately with €10k cash, it is very likely the car would have been yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I’d hate to jump the gun and claim it’s a bargain before we find out what we’re getting under the seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

They must have gotten a fair few saves to raise it so quickly. Register interest, no viewing til Thursday, is it all a sales strategy?

It's funny that it doesn't show that price change either on the ad as it would if the price was reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Ad stated that the car was not available for viewing until later in the week but I expect they got a lot of enquiries or possibly over the phone offers last night. It’ll be gone by the weekend even at €12K as long as it’s driving ok.

I didn't spot the no viewing until later in the week. Yeah, that was a bit sinister. Why put the ad up when you are not ready to sell.

Also agree that you shouldn't be able to put the price up. Like on adverts.ie. If you want to put the price up, you will have to make a new ad and pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,052 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Even at 12k, that's a serious bargain. I'm one of the people who called him. I have gotten a bridge approved from the bank to sell my model 3 and buy that (essentially I'm borrowing enough to cover the 3 payoff and also the money to buy this ID). Same range as my 3 but 1/3 of the cost.

He said he wasn't selling yet and was surprised at the number of calls he was getting. From the sound of it, he got the taxi grant for it, and has a way to get the taxi grant again so this is surplus to requirements.

I wouldn't bet on getting much off the asking, he is a taxi driver and sounded pissed off at the volume of calls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Buffman

That ID4 seems like great value for the right person alright if you're prepared to take a chance on it.

Main cons would be:

-It's a taxi and will always show up as one on any history checks.

-No warranty at all, 3 year warranty would have been up anyway but no 8 year HV battery warranty is the big hit.

-As a taxi, it probably used fast chargers far more than 'normal'.

-Private sale, zero come back.

-Worth very little as a trade in so don't expect to be offered anything decent in the future if trying to trade in.

-A bit of extra admin needed to reclassify from taxi to private but simple enough.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

When it was first listed, the price was 11,950 reduced to 10,950. So I expect he was able to remove the reduction and revert to the original price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭sk8board

presumably the no viewing until later in the week is simply because it’s still an active taxi until the replacement car arrives - it’s their income and job after all.

Assuming this person took a holiday every year, they’ve done 1200-1300km every week for 3 years - it’s a great proof of concept for the smaller battery car in a city.

At €11-12k, it’s cheap enough that you ‘pay your money and take your chance’.

Post edited by sk8board on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Clever taxi driver!

Imagine the extra money he has effectively earned over those 3 years by running an EV vs ICE

The car probably stands him very little money anyway as he would have gotten a massive grant day 1 (€20k-€25k) to buy it and it is the cheaper Life model (~€42k new). He probably paid <€20k new (after grant) for it.

Just some napkin figures…. if he did mainly home charging with some DC, lets say 80/20 split and is paying 20c/kWh at home and 50c/kWh for DC.

At 185k km's that cost in the region of €9620

148k km's on AC at 20c/kWh and 20kWh/100km = €5920

37k km's on DC at 50c/kWh = €3700

If it was a modern diesel at €1.70/ltr and say 6l/100km that would cost €18,870

So ~€9k fuel saving/pay-rise and he will have only lost <€8k in depreciation over the 3yrs and he has a nice new comfortable car under him for that!

And of course savings on servicing is a few €k on top again.

Now that warranty is gone he is moving it on and will probably rinse and repeat.

The majority of taxi's should be BEV!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭sk8board

EVs have always been best suited to the taxi industry, just like the hybrids all the way back to the early Prius have been.

That ID4 is a bargain - certainly well worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daveq

City spec, so I don't think there is a glass roof. One less thing to worry about 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭bf

Some additional details now added to the ID.4 Ex-Taxi Ad. 1208 views since yesterday.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/37608249

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Luna84

That gives me flash backs of trying to find some where to rent last year. You are saying to yourself I definitely got this one but they were swamped with calls and emails that I finally realised I hadn't a chance of getting it. Same with that car. Pointless even contacting him now I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Battery replaced in this Kona in 2022 under warranty

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/new-battery-nct-01-25/37616284

I’d say first buyer to turn up on Friday evening in Limerick with cash gets the car. Seems a bit strange to be getting it serviced if you’re flogging it off cheap and it’s just out of warranty. Why would you bother ?

We've seen similar high mileage Konas for €11k here recently. I guess your one is from a garage, so comes with warranty. Not a bad deal for a long range EV. They are small and spartan, but would be very cheap to run per mile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That Kona is a great range car once you know the boot is small and no ACC, I highly doubt the battery is 100%, there are better apps than just accepting that, EV notify and an ELM into the OBD port (just under steering wheel) will give better view

It's possible there is a hidden reserve like Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh? Shows up as zero degradation (100% SOH) until close to about 100k km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭djan

Ad details say battery was changed in 2022 so should be in good shape surely but definitely plug into it and see in addition to a test drive of course. Seems like the newer battery packs don't seem to have much issues so could be a reliable enough car.

maybe on Hyundai "report" but EV Notify will give more insight, it won't have much degradation in two years anyhow so shouldn't be a biggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,052 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It likely is, if you use torqueflite or any similar OBD reader the BMS will report 100% state of health well over 100k km for the Ioniq28 and the first gen kona. They have a hidden reserve that protects against degradation until the warranty is exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

If the Kona 64 kWh battery is built to the same spec at the eNiro one it should have, I think, 69.8 kWh total or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭flyer_query

just one thing missing from your calculations, diesel versus electricity savings cant be 100% counted as in the pocket profit, the higher diesel expenses reduce the tax bill meaning less tax (ie the savings of diesel v electric drives more profit so more tax). Still huge savings for the taxi driver.

Eg

• €100k sales less €20k diesel = profit of €80k less tax of €24k (est at 30% blended between high 20% rate and 40% marginal rate and add PRSI and USC) = €56k takehome
    • €100k sales less €10k elec = profit of €90k less tax of €27k = €63k takehome

—> your €10k fuel savings is diluted to a €7k takehome increase

Our 191 Kona (on original battery, I'm holding out) is just over 100k kms and SOH is 98.1%

Technically speaking you are correct. But I am guessing you haven't seen any taxi driver's tax return? 😂 They all make €22k profit. Kind of a deal the tax man can live with. So any additional savings by using electricity over diesel, go straight into the pocket of the taxi man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d imagine its starting to creep up now tho with all the online booking apps and card payments that they have to accept😂

Advertisement