Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

ELM327 wrote: »
    I don't see anything about for parts?

True,

I'm just reading into that myself after a first glance.

Not up on what salvage means exactly, something must be wrong with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Impossible to tell really from those crap pictures but its missing an alloy and the Nissan badge at the front so it has clearly taken frontal damage.... i'd be checking out both charging ports are working and everything else in detail before parting with any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Nedved85 wrote: »
    True,

Its been written off by an insurance company(in the UK) , and then put back on the road... Could have just needed a minor fix.. Or not...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Markcheese wrote: »
    True,

Its been written off by an insurance company(in the UK) , and then put back on the road... Could have just needed a minor fix.. Or not...

I would have a few concerns.
    Firstly is it safe, I would like car to come with an engineers report after repair, and an independent engineers report from a repair expert.
    Then you may have insurance issues, unless it is certified officially back on the road. The fact they did not get a matching wheel suggests a quick bodge. I would be worried the parts used may be from stolen leafs, I would look for parts purchase through a dealer or from official scrapyard.

I would be worried if car was off the road for a long time for repair, issues such as tyre sagging, new brake fluid needed etc. , main battery issues if left flat. I would want full driving range test to check real world range, as GOM can not be relied upon until the car is driven full to flat on a few trips. Even things like leafspy could no be relied upon until the battery management system has seen multiple full to flat cycle on the battery. At least the seller is upfront on a chequered past.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

True,

If you browse to the uk autotrader site and at the top of the main page you will find a link to "safety advice" and on the subsequent page there is a section on the various insurance damage categories.
    Generally, Category D is for the lowest class of damage (non-structural and cosmetic) and have been written-off by the insurer purely for economic reasons.
    If you can get documentation from the purchaser that the car was repaired at a suitable facility then the only other issue is your own insurance company which might decide to up your premium (because they can) and the fact that the car will always be worth a bit less and a bit harder to move on when you want to sell-up.
    I have bought Class D damaged vehicles from the UK and had no subsequent problems, but at the end of the day it comes down to your own risk/reward profile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I've seen this one online for a while now, and the total white never really appealed to me. Even wrapped the entire back of the car:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-premium-5dr-automatic-full-electric-sat-nav/20985798

^^ NOT A BARGAIN
    Dropped in price to 23k. I can't be the only one who just naturally assumes that dealership is dodgy? It's been for sale for ages too.

On a side note, it seems like Ioniqs are dropping a bit in price.

Sure if you can't sell it with 1 dodgy dealership, try a 2nd!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-premium-5dr-automatic-full-electric-sat-nav/21742057

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's the cheapest Ioniq electric for sale anywhere in the UK & Ireland. Why is it NOT A BARGAIN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

unkel wrote: »
    It's the cheapest Ioniq electric for sale anywhere in the UK & Ireland. Why is it NOT A BARGAIN?

Both of those dealers are questionable.

Now that was a PR way to say what I really meant :P

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Both of those dealers are questionable.

Doesn't really matter. The car is still under bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty for another 3 years. Unless the car was crashed or stolen or has finance outstanding on it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Doesn't really matter. The car is still under bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty for another 3 years. Unless the car was crashed or stolen or has finance outstanding on it or something.
    And anything like that will show up on a report.
    You won't find many dodgily repaired 25k new cars

• Advertisement

Personally for the sake of a few quid I would prefer to go to Phil, give him my budget and see if he can source a car.

I couldn't be bothered going with certain dealers, yes a few years ago and I got burnt for my troubles but not anymore. Less stress in life the better

Personal choice

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Personally for the sake of a few quid I would prefer to go to Phil, give him my budget and see if he can source a car.

Yeah that's a sound choice. But what can Phil do for you when the cheapest Ioniq electric on Autotrader is GBP23k?

Yeah that's a sound choice. But what can Phil do for you when the cheapest Ioniq electric on Autotrader is GBP23k?

Phil is not buying off autotrader. I would guess he buys direct from the likes of Leaseplan etc. I don't know who exactly and I wouldn't like to guess.

If the car hits autotrader then the margin that Phil could potentially make would be tiny

I know he does. My point is though that Phil will not be able to sell you an Ioniq electric for €23k

I know he does. My point is though that Phil will not be able to sell you an Ioniq electric for €23k

Doesn't hurt to ask :p

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

cheap 2013 leaf with 11 bars and 200k on the clock,asking for 7500 but probably gettable for 7 https://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/leaf/2013-nissan-leaf-great-deal-on-a-well-looked-after-car/17853574

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Here's a strange one - Tesla 90d (but currently effectively a "0d")
    https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/36158989
    Why would such a car be offered for sale without its traction battery? If the battery was dud then surely it would be just replaced under warranty?
    If the battery was accident damaged then again would it simply be a case of replacing it?
    Or is it just a case of the insurance company just cutting and running?
    BTW how does the driver's display report a current 285 mile range if there's no battery in the car?
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ltd440 wrote: »
    cheap 2013 leaf with 11 bars and 200k on the clock,asking for 7500 but probably gettable for 7 https://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/leaf/2013-nissan-leaf-great-deal-on-a-well-looked-after-car/17853574

They really got their mileage out of that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

listermint wrote: »
    They really got their mileage out of that

Its 125 thousand miles, so not ridiculous
    Isn't it more time than mileage that affects the battery? (I suppose number of complete charges counts too.)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They've been around that price since I started looking, albeit that's not too long.

Are they considered too expensive when new?

Hurrache wrote: »
    They've been around that price since I started looking, albeit that's not too long.

Are they considered too expensive when new?

They hovered around €25k for the last 12 months, only starting to come down now as supply increases and demand shifts to Kona (which also has supply issues)

Considering the kona is near 40k, 21k for an Ioniq seems a bargain.

You'd be surprised how little can make a car a cat D/C.
    A minor at fault accident requiring a couple of panels on a model S could cause a write off. Although I agree, you'd need to see an engineers report and before and after photos.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-soul-available-today-all-new-soul-electric-64/21907948

New kia soul EV? I thought this was slated for 2020 release
    Not cheap, but I consider it a bargain considering it is the same price as the paddy spec kona with same range and drivetrain but has the spec the Kona here doesnt (adaptive cruise)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cheapest Ioniq i've "seen" (waiting for pics)

€22k, grand mileage, standard Irish spec im sure.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-5dr-auto/21903998

You'd be surprised how little can make a car a cat D/C.
    A minor at fault accident requiring a couple of panels on a model S could cause a write off.

It's not C or D, it's S ;)

Structural damage. Pretty bad. I wouldn't touch it.

It's not C or D, it's S ;)

Structural damage. Pretty bad. I wouldn't touch it.
    "To measure how badly damaged a car is it will fall under one of four categories – called A, B, S and N –which replaced the old C and D categories in October 2017"

https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/choosing/what-is-a-cat-c-or-cat-d-car

Cat S is what used to be Cat C

• Advertisement

Still:

"Category S cars have suffered structural damage"

I don't mind a written off car (because say of a few panels as per your example), but I wouldn't touch a car with structural damage.

Advertisement