Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I wonder will be newly announced 0% BIK rate for EV's in the UK reduce the second hand market even further?
    The benefit isnt as stark as it is here (16% vs 30%) but would still have an affect i'd expect

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interesting EV up at merlin auctions this week
    2011 leaf with 8 bars. Wonder what that would go for?

http://www.merlin.ie/cardetails#/?fuelType=Electric&pageSize=10&sortBy=make_asc&id=376627&page=1&pagesize=10&no=1&totalcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

200k km on it, no NCT, might have been sitting up for a while, which is a bad idea. I wouldn't touch it unless it was dirt cheap.

But who knows, the market has gone mad in the last year and a bit. Probably €5k-€6k

I was bidding on a Zoe there a while ago, battery lease and 100k km, went for nearly 6k (I was going to bid to 5250).
    Lo and behold it was up on DD next day with a 1500 bump.

Sometimes the prices in Merlin auctions (or any auction for that matter) can hit near retail... if you have morons there especially! That leaf is probably worth 3-3500 trade and maybe 4995 retail pushing it. Needs a new battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

ELM327 wrote: »
    Interesting EV up at merlin auctions this week
    2011 leaf with 8 bars. Wonder what that would go for?

http://www.merlin.ie/cardetails#/?fuelType=Electric&pageSize=10&sortBy=make_asc&id=376627&page=1&pagesize=10&no=1&totalcount=1

According to https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/ck1zef/1st_successful_paid_customer_battery_change_from/ it can be upgraded to 40kwh battery

• Advertisement

September1 wrote: »

Not legitimately though, it's a hack:

"The process was developed by Véhicules Électrique Simon André in Trois-Rivières, Québec."

That leaf is probably worth 3-3500 trade and maybe 4995 retail pushing it. Needs a new battery.

Not at all, battery is fine. Just degraded (provided the sitting up hasn't done damage). Take the battery out and it will fetch well over €3k on eBay all day long

Agree with your comments on Merlin auctions. You're much better off buying privately, better value and that way you can check the car out properly

So what you reckon it will go for?

unkel wrote: »
    Not at all, battery is fine. Just degraded (provided the sitting up hasn't done damage). Take the battery out and it will fetch well over €3k on eBay all day long

Agree with your comments on Merlin auctions. You're much better off buying privately, better value and that way you can check the car out properly

So what you reckon it will go for?

Sorry, my needs new battery comment was not that the battery was broken, more like that the battery is degraded too much for a practical daily range. Still plenty of life in the battery, could be used as a home powerwall.

I'd say €4k tops. There's a demand out there for parts cars and this one is still driving so it should get more than the 2-3k a non runner leaf would get.

Finally, on the (off topic) merlin auctions, there are still bargains to be had. Just have to set your limits and not get carried away. I've bought and sold there plenty of times. Even for field cars or drift cars or "get me through the next couple of weeks" cars. I saw lads buying stuff there on the saturday no reserve stuff for sub 200 quid. Plenty of life left in them (usually k11 micras or Almeras) and some with discs in the window.

Sorry, my needs new battery comment was not that the battery was broken, more like that the battery is degraded too much for a practical daily range. .

The average car in this country does 16k km per year. That's 43km per day. A Leaf with 4 bars missing will do that sort of range no bother. Even with 8 bars missing and a practical range of just 30km it would still be a fine local / second car for many thousands of families. Well worth spending several grand on one.
    I'd say €4k tops.

We'll see!

It's up today so we will see, I have a "bid online" account so will keep an eye!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have you seen it? Looks like a v early model, not 100% they all came with DC charging port

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Sorry, my needs new battery comment was not that the battery was broken, more like that the battery is degraded too much for a practical daily range. Still plenty of life in the battery, could be used as a home powerwall.

A Leaf with that capacity would easily get me to work and back with plenty to spare - it would be peanuts to run and dead handy run around for the right people, of which there are many (they just don't realise it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Lets not ignore that the new owner can essentially get a charger point installed at home for free when they buy the ev.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

slave1 wrote: »
    Have you seen it? Looks like a v early model, not 100% they all came with DC charging port

AFAIK, all the early ones came with DC charging.

'Twas only afterwards when they introduced the XE variant that it became an option.

Soarer wrote: »
    AFAIK, all the early ones came with DC charging.

'Twas only afterwards when they introduced the XE variant that it became an option.
    ... in this country

Elsewhere (UK, US etc) it was not standard.

Yeah, I knew the US was optional.

But woulda thought us and the UK were the same? Weird that they'd make them standard just for us.

All the early models were made in Japan and only have one spec. Including DC fast charging.

Not that DC charging would make any difference to most people interested in buying this. It will be a second vehicle for someone with a driveway. And it will never need to do more than its range, no matter how low it will become.

All the early models were made in Japan and only have one spec. Including DC fast charging.

Not that DC charging would make any difference to most people interested in buying this. It will be a second vehicle for someone with a driveway. And it will never need to do more than its range, no matter how low it will become.
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1048819_2011-nissan-leaf-orders-commence-fast-charge-option-700

"Nissan's fast-charge feature for the Leaf, which can charge the car to 80% full in just 30 minutes at a special 440V CHAdeMo charging station. Why are we worried?
    It's only an extra option. Worse than that, it's only available on the SL trim level Leaf at an extra cost of $700."

https://insideevs.com/news/325877/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/
    2011 Year Model

•SV Model - Forget it. Was not offered with a DC fast charge port. •SL Model - Optional. May or may not have it

Dunno, maybe that applies to cars built in the USA? Pretty sure all the early Leafs that went to the UK and Ireland were Japan built, all the same spec, with CHAdeMO DC charging. But I could be wrong of course. Not that it matters to the prospective buyer of this car.

I've seen UK models without DC charging when I was getting my Leaf in 2016.
    You are right regarding home charging will be plenty sufficient but the value of the Leaf should be a lot less if it does not have DC charging.
    Nothing to say in 5/6 years time that a generic 24/30 battery pack replacement would be readily available and financially viable and then lack of DC charging would be a negative.

Having said all this, the one pointed out here probably has DC charging

• Advertisement

I've seen UK models without DC charging when I was getting my Leaf in 2016.
    You are right regarding home charging will be plenty sufficient but the value of the Leaf should be a lot less if it does not have DC charging.
    Nothing to say in 5/6 years time that a generic 24/30 battery pack replacement would be readily available and financially viable and then lack of DC charging would be a negative.

Having said all this, the one pointed out here probably has DC charging

In 5-6 years time it won't matter as there wont be many chademo plugs left!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Even with 8 bars missing and a practical range of just 30km it would still be a fine local / second car for many thousands of families.

Not any family I know!

davo2001 wrote: »
    Not any family I know!

Well then maybe they don't buy it.

In 5-6 years time it won't matter as there wont be many chademo plugs left!

Lol, suppose, but sure someone will have come up with an adapter.
    Don't current Tesla's have a chademo adapters

Lol, suppose, but sure someone will have come up with an adapter.
    Don't current Tesla's have a chademo adapters

Yes, a chademo to DC type 2
    They also have a CCS to DC type 2 adapter

Can't see a chademo to CCS adapter.
    A CCS1 to CCS2 adapter also exists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

davo2001 wrote: »
    Not any family I know!

I know some family cars that barely do 20km a day, my wife’s 520d for one!

Where as, my EV does about 50!

2018 Premium SE Ioniq for under GBP20k

Linky

Negotiate a hundred off (or more :D). Get a very cheap flight and ferry, pay with Revolut and you will land this for under €22k the way sterling is at the moment. Not bad.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

2018 Premium SE Ioniq for under GBP20k

Linky

Negotiate a hundred off (or more :D). Get a very cheap flight and ferry, pay with Revolut and you will land this for under €22k the way sterling is at the moment. Not bad.

So, many, stupid, stickers! Ok some are taxi related, but surely that taxi kit would turn potential buyers off straight away. I can only imagine the car having excess wear, and some long lasting signs of taxi equipment mounted in the cabin. Great price if it's tidy though.

Edit: the non factory leather seats look terrible

So am I reading that right?

It's a Premium SE, which comes with leather as standard. But he's has seat covers professionally fitted to cover them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Soarer wrote: »
    So am I reading that right?

It's a Premium SE, which comes with leather as standard. But he's has seat covers professionally fitted to cover them?

Professionally fitted stickers all over the cars paint job too.

Advertisement