Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's up today so we will see, I have a "bid online" account so will keep an eye!
    Do you know what it went for?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, didnt get to log in as I was busy that evening and have been away till today visiting relatives

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So will you check today for us, ELM327? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Is there any way of checking on their website? Had a look there and can't find anything.

unkel wrote: »
    So will you check today for us, ELM327? :)

It's been sold?
    You cannot get the sold prices without paying for it! Livebid is only to access the auctions and bid online. (unless someone else knows better than me on this perhaps)

• Advertisement

Ah I thought you had the paid sub

No, didnt get to log in as I was busy that evening and have been away till today visiting relatives
    It's not up on donedeal yet, there are 3 2011 leafs on the site with prices varying from 6800 to 8885.the cheapest one has over 150k kms but appears to have 10 bars, yet its on sale for nearly two months maybe the appetite for older leafs is drying up. Kinda makes me think that car at auction couldn't have sold for more than 5200

Yup. Who'd pay 7-8k for that when you can get a much better (range/deg wise) Zoe for similar money.

Or pay a little more and get a 30kWh leaf.

Agreed, I really liked this thread for a long time but I'm thinking that ev bargains are a thing of the past . Also with almost every new car getting more expensive than the last one it'll be a while before bargains reappear

Yup. Who'd pay 7-8k for that when you can get a much better (range/deg wise) Zoe for similar money.

Not similar money at all. Hefty monthly rental for ever, until you decide to scrap it. For which you have to pay. Therefore Zoe has zero resale value. Terrible proposition.

• Advertisement

Not similar money at all. Hefty monthly rental for ever, until you decide to scrap it. For which you have to pay. Therefore Zoe has zero resale value. Terrible proposition.
    I always forget about the monthly repayments on the older zoes but zero resale value?? If i could find one priced at zero I'd happily pay the monthlies on itðŸ˜

Fair enough, not quite zero :)

But drive one for 4 years and you will spend nearly €4k on battery lease. In the Leaf you spend nothing. So even if you could buy a Zoe at €3k, it would make no sense. Unless you only wanted one for a short period and there was a good market for buying and selling these. Which there isn't.

It would also make a bit more sense if you did less than 5k km per year as the battery lease would then "only" be €2.4k

But these things can not be had for €3k, the cheapest one on DD is nearly €8k, so it's overpriced by thousands. So don't buy one unless of course you don't care about total cost of ownership. Or more likely, you don't understand the concept :p

€6k asking 2012 Leaf

That's as cheap as they get these days. From Phil Fitzgerald, widely respected and trusted in the EV world. 6 month warranty If you want a cheap EV, be quick. This will be gone very quickly.

Linky

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I hate this no price, "coming soon" BS.
    2017 Ioniq

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I hate this no price, "coming soon" BS.
    2017 Ioniq

photos are all shocking bad photoshops as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

charlieIRL wrote: »
    photos are all shocking bad photoshops as well.

That's how I got my Ioniq. Fairview Motors put up pictures of a hybrid and the text said fully electric. I called them and verified that it was an EV, then went and bought it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

€6k asking 2012 Leaf

That's as cheap as they get these days. From Phil Fitzgerald, widely respected and trusted in the EV world. 6 month warranty If you want a cheap EV, be quick. This will be gone very quickly.

Linky

179k on the clock. What's considered high for an EV?

Motor and battery should be good for several times that. EVs last much longer than ICE cars. Saw an NCT test of a 6 year old Tesla Model S with 400k on the clock, still on its original brake discs and only the second set of brake pads. Gives you another idea :)

But yeah any vehicle going towards 200-250k km might have some suspension work coming up

Strongly considering picking up an early leaf to see how we get on with it and then figure out what a potential upgrade would be down the line. Creche run, grocery shopping and 25k jaunt into Dublin every weekend. No commuting at all. We've a 161 diesel Octavia sitting idle most of the time. I'd love to change over to an EV completely.

Keeping an eye on this thread every day!

stiofan85 wrote: »
    Strongly considering picking up an early leaf to see how we get on with it and then figure out what a potential upgrade would be down the line. Creche run, grocery shopping and 25k jaunt into Dublin every weekend. No commuting at all. We've a 161 diesel Octavia sitting idle most of the time. I'd love to change over to an EV completely.

Keeping an eye on this thread every day!
    Have ye a 2nd car already, or just the Octavia which is sitting ideal mostly?

Sounds like ye have little to lose if it's a replacement for a 2nd car. Get a charger installed while the grant still exists too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

We've a 161 diesel Octavia sitting idle

Just out of interest, did you need the diesel when you bought it - i.e. were you commuting long distances or was it just because it was available, more affordable, lower fuel/tax costs etc.?

Best of luck with your EV search - sure something suitable will pop up here soon :).

If you have a 161 Octavia to sell, you probably have enough to pay for a 141 Leaf for about €9k-€10k? It has the newer battery which is better. A Nissan dealer will probably do a trade in, so you don't have the hassle of selling privately.

The Octavia is our only car so I was thinking to get an early leaf, see how we go and if we like it and know what sort of range we need we could sell at least the Octavia and either keep the leaf if it fits the bill, or upgrade.

But, as I think this out... We tend to stay in Ireland for holidays. That would probably mean we need something with greater range if we just want one car.... Need to do more research

Kramer wrote: »
    Just out of interest, did you need the diesel when you bought it - i.e. were you commuting long distances or was it just because it was available, more affordable, lower fuel/tax costs etc.?

Best of luck with your EV search - sure something suitable will pop up here soon :).

Thanks, no didn't need a diesel. Was not a very informed purchase, and diesel was still seen positively around the time we bought. I think it was within months that it became clearer that we should've gone petrol.

We tend to stay in Ireland for holidays. That would probably mean we need something with greater range if we just want one car.... Need to do more research

You need to be careful there. A €6k Leaf can probably barely do 50km at 120km/h. Also you are dependent on the brutal ESB network with a Leaf. Only one car can charge at a time

Most other EVs (all of them going forward in fact, except the Leaf) use CCS charging so can use the Ionity network where 4-6 cars can charge at the same time, so you will not have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

we need something with greater range if we just want one car.... Need to do more research

I'd consider a newer PHEV too, especially as a single car family.

Thanks for the advice. If we decided to splurge on a newer model, is there as much savings from importing from the UK as with a normal car?

At the moment there are pretty much zero savings to be had from importing a full EV from the UK. Plenty of savings bringing in plug in hybrids though.

As for your holidaying in Ireland, how often do you go, where are you based and do you travel all over the country or do you always go to the same spot?

And do the savings from having an EV mean you could rent a car for holiday time? (If rental is convenient)

As a single car, I'd be reluctant to buy a leaf for the reasons unkle has mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Octavia is our only car so I was thinking to get an early leaf, see how we go and if we like it and know what sort of range we need we could sell at least the Octavia and either keep the leaf if it fits the bill, or upgrade.

But, as I think this out... We tend to stay in Ireland for holidays. That would probably mean we need something with greater range if we just want one car.... Need to do more research

Genuinely, I'd ditch the Octavia. Get the leaf it'll cost you nothing and rent a car for the holidays in Ireland.

It would be the most practical sensible and cost efficient way for what you've described so far.

Advertisement