Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

listermint wrote: »
    Genuinely, I'd ditch the Octavia. Get the leaf it'll cost you nothing and rent a car for the holidays in Ireland.

It would be the most practical sensible and cost efficient way for what you've described so far.

I did out a few scenarios in a spreadsheet this morning and the Skoda loses out so badly in every one. You're completely right.

We definitely don't need a second car, and even allowing for renting for a few trips down west during the year, we'd still save a couple of grand. Airport is nearby so picking up a rental is easy.

I also mapped out a typical Saturday/Sunday's driving about the place and it's 90km max, and more like 60 on average. A good chunk of that is motorway. So I'd need an EV that can do 100km at motorway speeds, then charge overnight. Her aul lad is getting an EV and will have a charger, so that's a good fall back position as his house is furthest away.

Really worthwhile doing out the numbers, it has made things a lot more clear. Thanks for all the input. I'm going to look at the more modern EVs and see what we like and what sort of budget we'd have to play with.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

unkel was right that this wouldn't hang around - thanks unkel!

I put a deposit on it this morning. Delighted. It's ideal for my local commute.

Just to re-iterate what's been said on a lot of these ev forums - Phil in Electric Autos is an absolute gent to deal with.

Looking forward to a new leaf in life (ouch) ...

unkel wrote: »
    €6k asking 2012 Leaf

That's as cheap as they get these days. From Phil Fitzgerald, widely respected and trusted in the EV world. 6 month warranty If you want a cheap EV, be quick. This will be gone very quickly.

Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

handofdog wrote: »

I put a deposit on it this morning. Delighted. It's ideal for my local commute.

Just to re-iterate what's been said on a lot of these ev forums - Phil in Electric Autos is an absolute gent to deal with.

Looking forward to a new leaf in life (ouch) ...

Don't forget Siobhan, a lady as well

Best of luck with the car.....just out of interest how many bars left?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Whoops. Should have mentioned Siobhan too - I've heard some people referring to her as "the brains of the operation".

Phil seem like a smart guy so she must be in Einstein territory :)

There's 9 bars on it. The "guessometer" was predicting 90k in D mode and 105 in E mode (as far as I can remember). Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

There's 9 bars on it. The "guessometer" was predicting 90k in D mode and 105 in E mode (as far as I can remember). Cheers.

Get yourself a dongle, download LeafSpy, and ignore the GOM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

Soarer wrote: »
    Get yourself a dongle, download LeafSpy, and ignore the GOM.

A question:

I have an iPhone and searched AppStore for: leafspy

The only relevant thing seems ‘leafspy pro’ for 21.99. Is this the thing to download?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

obi604 wrote: »
    A question:

I have an iPhone and searched AppStore for: leafspy

The only relevant thing seems ‘leafspy pro’ for 21.99. Is this the thing to download?

Yes. It’s free on android for the basic app but if I still had a leaf I’d pay for the full version. You can monitor so much more.

kceire wrote: »
    Yes. It’s free on android for the basic app but if I still had a leaf I’d pay for the full version. You can monitor so much more.

Right. But you have to pay for basic on the iPhone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The heads up via PM was a nice touch, wasn't it? :D

Well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You don't really need Leafspy to determine soh. The range indicated in km at 100% charge divided by 160 is very close. So 105/160 is about 66%, which is about right for a 9 bar Leaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Surely that depends completely on your driving style? If you bought a brand new Leaf 24 and the only thing you did for the first few days was drive at 130km/h GPS speed. The GOM would thereafter show you a range of 90km, while your SOH was still 100%?

The bars themselves is a reasonable indicator of battery degradation imho. What's the fascination of wanting to know the exact percentage?

It’s only when you have a reduced capacity Leaf, you realise the value of LeafSpy.
    My yoke can have — on the GOM, all bars gone, and the “very low battery charge” warning come up, but I check LeafSpy and I can have up to 20% battery left.
    So without LeafSpy, I’m a nervous wreck.
    With LeafSpy, I know there’s no panic.

See attached screen grab.

Is this the thing to get?

Yeah, that’s it.
    Sounds like a lot of money, but if you read back through the last 15-20 (maybe) pages in the Nissan Leaf thread,, you’ll see that it more than paid for itself for me.

Yeah, that’s it.
    Sounds like a lot of money, but if you read back through the last 15-20 (maybe) pages in the Nissan Leaf thread,, you’ll see that it more than paid for itself for me.

Thanks. So 21 Euro on iPhone. But free on Android (I have an old android, maybe could pull out for this)

Now, the dongle. Again did a search but not sure of which one to get. Can anyone recommend one?

And will the dongle work with both iPhone and Android?

Thanks. So 21 Euro on iPhone. But free on Android (I have an old android, maybe could pull out for this)

Now, the dongle. Again did a search but not sure of which one to get. Can anyone recommend one?

And will the dongle work with both iPhone and Android?

can anyone recommend a dongle or send a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It’s only when you have a reduced capacity Leaf, you realise the value of LeafSpy.
    My yoke can have — on the GOM, all bars gone, and the “very low battery charge” warning come up, but I check LeafSpy and I can have up to 20% battery left.
    So without LeafSpy, I’m a nervous wreck.
    With LeafSpy, I know there’s no panic.
    How much of that 20% could you access though?
    My leaf shut down when I ran it out (intentionally, at a fast charger) and it still had a few percent SOC on leafspy.

I've been down as low as 5%, but that wasn't great for the heart!

The evening I ran out, I think it was showing showing between 3%-4%.

LeafSpy gives you the confidence/knowledge that you're not about to be stuck at the side of the road. Or that you will ('cause you won't make a chargepoint), but at least you've enough in the tank to get somewhere safe.

can anyone recommend a dongle or send a link?

This is the one I bought, and it's worked faultlessly with both iOS and Android.

Bluetooth Dongle

Be advised with the LeafSpy. The free one on Android is only useful for seeing basic info., eg. SOC, SOH, etc.
    The full version on iOS (and I think there's a full version on Androind too) can do way more eg. read errors, clear errors, turn off VSP, etc.

This is the one I bought, and it's worked faultlessly with both iOS and Android.

Bluetooth Dongle

Be advised with the LeafSpy. The free one on Android is only useful for seeing basic info., eg. SOC, SOH, etc.
    The full version on iOS (and I think there's a full version on Androind too) can do way more eg. read errors, clear errors, turn off VSP, etc.

thank you.
    high level. how do they work?

physically connect to car
    pair with phone
    do you have to be near teh car to use it

like if it was charging and I was 500 metres away , can I see what charge teh battery has?

• Advertisement

thank you.
    high level. how do they work?

physically connect to car
    pair with phone
    do you have to be near teh car to use it

like if it was charging and I was 500 metres away , can I see what charge teh battery has?

You have it in one.

It's bluetooth though, so you have to be in bluetooth range.
    Also, the ignition has to be on (the dongle powered on), so you kinda have to be with the car.

The official Nissan Leaf app will show you the charge in the battery while away from the car.

You have it in one.

It's bluetooth though, so you have to be in bluetooth range.
    Also, the ignition has to be on (the dongle powered on), so you kinda have to be with the car.

The official Nissan Leaf app will show you the charge in the battery while away from the car.

Great. Thank you.

Great about that official leaf app. To be able to check the charge remotely. How does this particular scenario work?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

slave1 wrote: »

Being a 68 plate i presume its an early 2019 so outside the 6 month old rule.
    Checked on VRT Calculator and it wasn't able to process application.

Intersted in finding out more about this, £2500 cheaper than a golf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jan 2019, no VRT payable, below €5k exemption

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Pity about the lower spec though, if buying a UK one make sure to get premium SE.

Bluetooth Dongle

does anyone in Ireland sell these dongles?

does anyone in Ireland sell these dongles?

Why?

• Advertisement

Why?

Cheaper shipping.
    Keep it local etc.

Advertisement