Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fair enough, I didnt see it was a 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And so it is starting. Used Model S prices dropping in the UK (because of the arrival of Model 3 over there). Several on AT for under GBP30k, like this '14 one with AP1 for GBP28k

Linky

That's under €32k landed provided there is no VRT due. Still 3 years warranty on battery and drive train I think?

Bunch of dreamer traders on DD over here, that will never get the money back they paid for their Tesla stock...

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Crazy to think about it. Ioniq would probably still fetch about 22-23k. Add 10k and I've a Tesla model S. That said, it's the 60kw version, so about 300km range (loads really), but Tesla superchargers aren't too common around Ireland. There's a CCS converter though, yeah?
    Also only dealer is in Dublin if needed.

Still though... Very attainable.

Edit: actually not too sure would a model s fit in my driveway (2nd bay). Old Passat cc just fit in, but the width of the S would likely be an issue.

Yes CCS converter is out. And no, if a Passat CC barely fitted then a Model S will not fit. This is a very big car. I have had a BMW 7-series which was also 5m long, but it was not nearly as wide as the Tesla (close on 2m wide)

I'm sitting firmly on my hands though. I'm gambling that used Model S prices from the UK will fall a lot more within the next year. And I'm gambling we will still be able to import them cheaply. If these gambles fail, I'll gladly keep driving my Ioniq or buy something else like the ID.3 or wait and buy a new Model Y, something else from the VAG group like a Skoda EV or maybe a BMW EV. If my gambles win, I might be a happy Tesla Model S owner at some stage for relatively very little money :)

There's a CCS converter though, yeah?

Up to 130kW on any of the Ionity chargers. Still at 80kW at 70% SOC. Very impressive.

Retrofit for older Model S and Model X costs €500 from Tesla themselves, including the adapter

Linky

Not cheap, but not too bad either. The CHAdeMo adapter alone that was available before used to cost similar money but it can only handle about 43kW :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes there's a lot of cheaper model S in the UK now, and they are only going down.
    Makes the idea of paying nearly 50k to an irish dealer seem ridiculous, even for me (I'd always pay a grand or two more to avoid hassle of going to the UK but for near 10k I'd swim over :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Crazy to think about it. Ioniq would probably still fetch about 22-23k. Add 10k and I've a Tesla model S. That said, it's the 60kw version, so about 300km range (loads really), but Tesla superchargers aren't too common around Ireland. There's a CCS converter though, yeah?
    Also only dealer is in Dublin if needed.

Still though... Very attainable.

Edit: actually not too sure would a model s fit in my driveway (2nd bay). Old Passat cc just fit in, but the width of the S would likely be an issue.

not sure what I was looking at tbh, but there are 3 Tesla branded chargers in the car park of the Merriman Hotel in Kinvara. I did query someone and was told 1 was a 'fast' charger, and the other 2 were, well, not fast I guess.

I'll get pics this eve, and post tomorrow.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

They are destination chargers. All slow. 7.2kW (takes 14 hours to charge a Tesla Model S 100 from empty to full)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    They are destination chargers. All slow. 7.2kW (takes 14 hours to charge a Tesla Model S 100 from empty to full)

Hotel says 2 x slow and 1 fast charger.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm sitting firmly on my hands though. I'm gambling that used Model S prices from the UK will fall a lot more within the next year. And I'm gambling we will still be able to import them cheaply.

If Brexit messes up that plan, you could still import from France, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

markpb wrote: »
    If Brexit messes up that plan, you could still import from France, right?

Yeah totally... Left hand drive ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Cars on the continent tend to hold their value very well too.

I would suspect that you could pay all the Brexit charges and tarriffs on a UK Model S and it would still end up cheaper then say a Dutch one .

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

You're not going to arrive with 0% anywhere tho. In reality you're probably going to arrive with 15% if sailing close to the wind and only charge to 85%, so you're going to be fine with 8 hours or so. The final 15% go even slower also due to tapering of the charge rate from the onboard charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

listermint wrote: »
    Yeah totally... Left hand drive ....

It was early in the morning. I need my coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

And so it is starting. Used Model S prices dropping in the UK (because of the arrival of Model 3 over there). Several on AT for under GBP30k, like this '14 one with AP1 for GBP28k

Linky

That's under €32k landed provided there is no VRT due. Still 3 years warranty on battery and drive train I think?

Bunch of dreamer traders on DD over here, that will never get the money back they paid for their Tesla stock...

Was browsing cars I can't afford over the last few weeks and this has gone from 3-4 sub 35k cars. Up to 10 model S's under 35k. Nice range too 2014 to 2016.

Had been thinking of changing my outlander, garage quoted me just under 15k. Maybe next year I'll be able to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Was browsing cars I can't afford over the last few weeks and this has gone from 3-4 sub 35k cars. Up to 10 model S's under 35k. Nice range too 2014 to 2016.

Had been thinking of changing my outlander, garage quoted me just under 15k. Maybe next year I'll be able to get one.

What outlander you have?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What outlander you have?

2015 GX4HS phev. They just did one of those online valuations so never actually saw it. But gives me a ball park. ( i had closer to 20 in mind)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

2015 GX4HS phev. They just did one of those online valuations so never actually saw it. But gives me a ball park. ( i had closer to 20 in mind)

What mileage?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What mileage?

Around 75k miles i think.

galwaytt wrote: »

Take my word for it, they are all slow. The 2 x slow might only be 3.6kW and the 1 "fast" charger might be 7.2kW

• Advertisement

2016 S 70 for just GBP30k

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

There was a price increase on this from £29k. It’s been over 5 days also and no pics!
    2016 S 70 for just GBP30k

Linky

And the car is not even on cargiants own website. Pretty unprofessional!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

galwaytt wrote:

They are wrong. I live 50 meters away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

And the car is not even on cargiants own website. Pretty unprofessional!

Cargiant often seem to have phantom cars without much details on autotrader.

Still, compared with used X prices which have not come down, there's plenty of cheap model S with AP1 in the UK now

Cheapest CPO X I could find was:
    https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJXDCE23HF058244

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Model X will hold value due to Uber drivers buying them up, it qualifies for exec & XL.

krissovo wrote: »
    Model X will hold value due to Uber drivers buying them up, it qualifies for exec & XL.
    I saw somene selling one on autotrader because it didnt qualify for premium/exec?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

More likely the driver didn’t qualify, you need a few years experience now to be a exec driver. Most of my heathrow pickups are in a Uber X when I go over on business.

• Advertisement

£41,995k Model X :eek:

1c423892cd174722ac5bd9d0d4066fee.jpg

Linky

Cat S, but still very cheap. Just 3 years old last month and very low mileage, so presumable still under Tesla warranty. Those wheels would have to go though :p

Advertisement