Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

slave1 wrote: »
    That guy needs to strip the battery out and flog separate, then just scrap/parts the car itself

Battery isn't worth all that much. I know there are people paying over the odds for Tesla battery modules (about USD1000 for a 5kWh module) but those prices are insane imho. I've just got small battery packs from China, brand new, BMS included, for less than €100/kWh, including shipping

I wouldn't spend more than a grand on that Fluence battery and only if it suited my needs perfectly without needing major rework

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Battery isn't worth all that much. I know there are people paying over the odds for Tesla battery modules (about USD1000 for a 5kWh module) but those prices are insane imho. I've just got small battery packs from China, brand new, BMS included, for less than €100/kWh, including shipping

I wouldn't spend more than a grand on that Fluence battery and only if it suited my needs perfectly without needing major rework

It's probably worth 2k realistically.

Do you have a link to that? I'm looking at cheaper ways of building home storage in the future. Would like to have 40+kWh of storage .

I'm using mostly overstock hoverboard batteries. You remember those hoverboards that were a Christmas fad a few years ago? Chinese factories went into overdrive making batteries for them in the millions. Then the fad died and the batteries were left over. Too expensive to break them up and sell the cells so they are just sold as a whole. I use them for eBikes, electric scooters, shed lighting, air pumps and all sorts of other stuff

The latest batch I got for €17 each including shipping. Search Aliexpress for a 36V 4.4Ah battery. Buy them individually and no tax, no import duty, no VAT, no custom charges are due

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Is there a link or tutorial on how to use these hooverboard batteries to create the powerwall?

reni10 wrote: »
    Is there a link or tutorial on how to use these hooverboard batteries to create the powerwall?

Yeah, but you will have to do a lot of YT viewing. Start off with Jehu Garcia. In several of his vids, you will actually see one of his powerwalls consists entirely of these hoverboard packs

Liitokala-36v-4-4ah-lithium-battery-10s2p-36v-battery-4400mAh-lithium-ion-pack-42V-4400mah-scooter.jpg

These are 10S2P packs of 18650 cells, so 20 cells in total. Brand new with BMS for €17 including shipping, a steal! And yes, they work very well. But don't expect 5,000 cycles out of them either, particularly not if you are abusing them in eBikes or the like :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

zg3409 wrote: »

Private sale looking for 36k, and really leaning on the inflated price of the new Kona to try make it look good value. Pictures are ****e, and doesn't even clarify its the 64kWh version. I personally wouldn't call it a bargain, but then again I always thought the Kona was overpriced for what you're getting.

Is that about €2,500 in depreciation over the year so?

Very strong asking price for a private sale. I would love to find out what it will actually go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Private sale looking for 36k, and really leaning on the inflated price of the new Kona to try make it look good value. Pictures are ****e, and doesn't even clarify its the 64kWh version. I personally wouldn't call it a bargain, but then again I always thought the Kona was overpriced for what you're getting.

Really want to know if it's the 64kWh too..
    unkel wrote:
    Very strong asking price for a private sale. I would love to find out what it will actually go for.

Me too, I bet it'll go for closer to 30 than 35.

tedpan wrote: »
    Me too, I bet it'll go for closer to 30 than 35.

It'll be between the two for sure :)

Not so sure it will go down anywhere near €30k though. Remember 64kWh Kona was the best selling EV in Ireland last year (equal to Leaf). All those people had no problem forking out €40k on the road for this car. I'd say just one year later plenty of people will be ready to go close enough to €35k second hand. Remember the car still has 4 full years of manufacturers warranty. Not much risk for a private buyer here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'd say just one year later plenty of people will be ready to go close enough to €35k second hand. Remember the car still has 4 full years of manufacturers warranty. Not much risk for a private buyer here

Maybe not much actual risk, but there is a lot of perceived risk, there is not many people willing to drop that much on a private sale.
    I know you get more selling private than trading in but I wonder at this level how much more.
    Selling something at 5k you would have to be slightly better priced than from a dealer.
    Selling something at 35k there has to be a significant savings for buyer to but private over dealer.
    I wonder given how much you may have to drop the price would you be as well of just trading it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I wonder given how much you may have to drop the price would you be as well of just trading it in.

Makes you wonder what their new car is. Maybe a Tesla and they did not want to go with the brutal trade value "trade in" Tesla is offering?

@zv3409 - wow, the cheapest is just over €34k asking from a main Hyundai dealer. That's less than I thought. That means even a private sale result of €32k would be optimistic. Looks like tedpan was right in his prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

@zv3409 - wow, the cheapest is just over €34k asking from a main Hyundai dealer. That's less than I thought. That means even a private sale result of €32k would be optimistic. Looks like tedpan was right in his prediction.

Small print says it includes €2k scrappage so €36k is their real price.

KCross wrote: »
    Small print says it includes €2k scrappage so €36k is their real price.

I spotted that. You'd have to check it out, but chances are they'll accept a company car you just bought for €50 on your way over to the dealers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭somedood

More a question than a bargain really.
    e-Golf price being reduced by €5000
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/volkswagen-cuts-5-000-of-the-price-of-its-electric-golf-1.4156310

I know this price reduction is due to the ID3 coming in soon but is it a bargain?

Under €28k for a brand new eGolf is definitely a bargain. It's a great EV, well made and drives really well. And as such a better EV than Leaf or Ioniq, although the range at motorway speeds (or in winter) and the charging speed are not great compared to Ioniq

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Just noticed this Tesla Model 3 crash-damaged car being offered on auction on copart uk:

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/51229149

I find it astonishing that this car with apparently such little damage is being auctioned off, as it most likely means that the insurance company has written it off as uneconomic to repair. Looks like a Long Range Dual Motor model.

Primary damage - "Front End"
    Secondary damage - "Undercarriage"

If such a car can't be repaired economically in the UK, what hope for us plebs?

It looks to me like there is no structural damage at all, but I'm obviously not an expert. Could be a bit of money to be made here.

Maybe I'll up the current bid from GBP80 to GBP90 :D

Tesla repairs can be eye-wateringly expensive as some reports from the US have shown. I get the impression that insurers don't want to get involved and just write the cars off...

Go for it - I'll be cheering you on.

My guess is that you will be facing stiff competition with the eastern break-up entrepreneurs - you might need to stay in at the weekend to save up a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It looks to me like there is no structural damage at all, but I'm obviously not an expert. Could be a bit of money to be made here.

Looks like the front wheel is pushed back. Who knows how much damage has been done behind the bumper. Tesla aren't known for robust suspension parts either. ( Google "tesla whompy wheel")

Its been taken down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ELM327 wrote: »
    Its been taken down

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/27115570

There was a 2016 facelift P100d that sold on the site earlier this week for GBP32.5k
    The photos showed only very localised front off-side corner damage. The headlight was even mostly intact.
    If it were an ICE car I would have expected a repair bill of no more than 5k, so probably 10k after some price gouging by the repairers.
    What am I missing? Are crash repair costs for tesla cars off the wall, or are waiting times ridiculous?

You probably have to pay extortionate amounts to Tesla for repairs.
    To be honest, at 32.5k for a facelift S100d it would be worth a punt if no lights on dash and driving ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

pdpmur wrote: »
    There was a 2016 facelift P100d that sold on the site earlier this week for GBP32.5k
    The photos showed only very localised front off-side corner damage. The headlight was even mostly intact.
    If it were an ICE car I would have expected a repair bill of no more than 5k, so probably 10k after some price gouging by the repairers.
    What am I missing? Are crash repair costs for tesla cars off the wall, or are waiting times ridiculous?

Both, €2.1k for replacing a wheel rim that cracked in a pothole including alignment and whatever else but no other parts replaced or repaired. And there is a 6 week wait if they don't have it in stock which they often don't.

The wheel arch is going to cost €5-10k and it looks like the door isn't sitting right, that's going to cost another €5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

somedood wrote: »
    More a question than a bargain really.
    e-Golf price being reduced by €5000
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/volkswagen-cuts-5-000-of-the-price-of-its-electric-golf-1.4156310

I know this price reduction is due to the ID3 coming in soon but is it a bargain?

love the look of (especially the outside) of all the EV's with this e-Golf. like "the fact it doesnt look like an electric car" - more like an ordinary compact ICE car.

went to an EV seminar last year. They had 4 EV's lined up outside. - A Kona , a Audi E-Tron, a Leaf , and a e-Golf ... I liked the look of the e-golf out of the lot of them and yep looked very well made. - the others had flimsy plastic trim bits, the golf when i felt the plastics on it felt of good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Right who's got a copart account...

Front Door 552.62
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/TESLA-MODEL-S-FRONT-DOOR-RIGHT-DRIVER-SIDE-REF-30M05/153792571948?hash=item23cec06a2c:g:o-QAAOSwn~BeGcU8

Front Wing 143.94
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/TESLA-MODEL-S-FRONT-WING-RIGHT-O-S-DRIVER-SIDE-GENUINE-REF-08H01/153783521674?hash=item23ce36518a:g:GokAAOSwwFleDijf

Model S 85, allowing for a maxim bid of 17,000 euro https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/27115570

Vrt possibly 3000

Friendly Panel beater 1000

Tesla service 503.64

Total cost of car, 23,000 on the road. Retail value of car pre accident in Ireland 50k

If somebody is on the fence and doesn't mind a chancey one if could be worth a punt.

15hrs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Current bid......

Add at least 5 perhaps 7 to that figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It won't go that high. Easier cars to flip and make money on.

Advertisement