Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Soarer wrote: »
    Was that because of Tesla, or the UK in general?

'Cause I've never had an issue buying over there.

I'm interested in what went wrong too...

I imported a Leaf from a Nissan dealer and it was very smooth.

A lot of research required but it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    That really would be the wiser choice. Raven Model X, HW3, are these getting new batteries too?

Rumors abound of new batteries but I really just want the longer range with HW3 and AP2.

Soarer wrote: »
    Was that because of Tesla, or the UK in general?

'Cause I've never had an issue buying over there.
    Both really. VRT was a hassle, insurance was a hassle, having to go over is a hassle. Tesla was AWFUL to deal with as we all know (tesla are woeful even within country, buying grey market was an additional problem).
    I had to hassle them for the full V5, had to return for the type2 cable and nearly miss my ferry, had issues on signup for the app, and then one of the two USB ports were broken and they wouldnt replace.

For me, I am not importing from the UK again. I will pay Phil or somoene a few k to worry about it for me. Like I did with my leaf and my Ioniq. Thats how they make their money!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Anybody got a link to a good explanation of charge cables etc?

Not sure what Type 2 versus CCS means on Tesla CPO listings and ELM insisted on it but I don't know what it is?
    Many thanks

Anybody got a link to a good explanation of charge cables etc?

Not sure what Type 2 versus CCS means on Tesla CPO listings and ELM insisted on it but I don't know what it is?
    Many thanks
    Tesla specific:
    Type 2 is for AC charging. You can get up to 16.5kW in new models or 11-22kW in old models. You need a cable.

CCS is DC charging, the "new" standard. You can also get chademo but this is limited to 50kW, which is slow for Tesla.
    To DC charge a Tesla you need an adapter, either CCS or Chademo. You can use both on the same car (not at the same time!) but CCS is faster. The only exception to this is Supercharging on Tesla network, where you just plug in and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

ELM327 wrote: »
    Tesla specific:
    Type 2 is for AC charging. You can get up to 16.5kW in new models or 11-22kW in old models. You need a cable.

CCS is DC charging, the "new" standard. You can also get chademo but this is limited to 50kW, which is slow for Tesla.
    To DC charge a Tesla you need an adapter, either CCS or Chademo. You can use both on the same car (not at the same time!) but CCS is faster. The only exception to this is Supercharging on Tesla network, where you just plug in and go.

Thank you. and to have a CCS the car needs to have a appropriate firmware which costs around €500 from Tesla, is that right? Many thanks

• Advertisement

Thank you. and to have a CCS the car needs to have a appropriate firmware which costs around €500 from Tesla, is that right? Many thanks
    Yes correct, you need the adapter and a software + hardware update from tesla. For chademo you need only the adapter.
    Either of the two options above cost about the same €500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Buyer beware for sure. +10% + VAT to pay too. Wonder what the story with no-VAT on it is? Would be interesting to know why a car like that is going through an auction. I could be flooded, damaged in transit, or anything really. Or a company liquidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Seems to be scratches on the paintwork

Someone will get a great deal there on a very serviceable car with no miles on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

samih wrote: »
    Buyer beware for sure. +10% + VAT to pay too. Wonder what the story with no-VAT on it is? Would be interesting to know why a car like that is going through an auction. I could be flooded, damaged in transit, or anything really. Or a company liquidation.

It's being auctioned for a bank, so probably a repo. It could have been hidden from the bank repo agent, explaining the low mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The no VAT means it was originally delivered to a VAT registered company, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭User1998

You’s are getting confused.

‘No vat’ means there is no vat to be paid

‘10% plus vat’ is the buyers fee. There is vat on the buyers fee not the hammer price

Eg. If the hammer price is €10,000 you pay:

€10,000 + 10% (€1,000) + VAT (€230) = €11,230

Look at their commercial auctions and it will clearly state that vat is to be paid on those

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

So. Getting interested in this Model S lark. How much does AWD matter? I see a big difference in price. Also what is the max mileage people recommend? Would it be inline with ICE cars or can EVs have higher mileage and retain their value better?
    Currently have very old cars 2012 and 2003 and no experience of EV or AP. It will
    be a big upgrade either way so could I get by without AP1?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,467 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

garo wrote: »
    So. Getting interested in this Model S lark. How much does AWD matter? I see a big difference in price. Also what is the max mileage people recommend? Would it be inline with ICE cars or can EVs have higher mileage and retain their value better?
    Currently have very old cars 2012 and 2003 and no experience of EV or AP. It will
    be a big upgrade either way so could I get by without AP1?

Of course you would get by without AP1, you've never had it, you won't miss it. The Model S is far less desirable without it though, so it should be a lot cheaper to buy (and you will get less for it come resale time). AWD gives faster acceleration, but apart from that you don't need it in Ireland unless you live in a hilly area where you get snow in winter. Personally I prefer RWD to AWD from a drivers point of view

Don't worry about mileage, EVs can handle it far better than ICE cars. The first Tesla Model S has just hit 1 million km, with 700k km on the current motor and 500k km on the current battery

Thanks Unkel. Right so I could get by with an S85 (non-D) non-AP1. The cheapest cars with those specs are <27k GBP. But 130k miles which you say shouldn't be an issue. The advantage with a 2014 is also free supercharging for life. But of course no warranty off a private seller so anything breaks, I am done for. The lowest CPO right now is 34k. 2014 but low miles. 7k GBP is a lot of money! Or split the difference and get something like this from the dealer which has AP and free supercharging. https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/tesla/model-s/tesla-model-s-e-85-cvt-5dr-nav/10289306

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Keeping a close eye on the CPO Tesla's and if anything they've gone up in price on average over the last month. Not a bargain in sight ;(

The advantage with a 2014 is also free supercharging for life.

That's worth a few hundred at most, unless you plan to take the car on big driving holidays abroad (on the continent)
    But of course no warranty off a private seller so anything breaks, I am done for.

Warranty on motor, battery, inverter, etc. is 8 years, so even with an early 2015 car, you have another 2 years warranty on those. Rest of the car out of warranty of course unless you buy a CPO
    The lowest CPO right now is 34k.

There was a GBP29,999 CPO car last week. If you're serious about buying one, check every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Thanks Unkel. Right so I could get by with an S85 (non-D) non-AP1. The cheapest cars with those specs are <27k GBP. But 130k miles which you say shouldn't be an issue. The advantage with a 2014 is also free supercharging for life. But of course no warranty off a private seller so anything breaks, I am done for. The lowest CPO right now is 34k. 2014 but low miles. 7k GBP is a lot of money! Or split the difference and get something like this from the dealer which has AP and free supercharging. https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/tesla/model-s/tesla-model-s-e-85-cvt-5dr-nav/10289306

Prices on CPO should drop in the morning.

The car on the pistonheads link was imported. Not sure where it came from though , could have been Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Be very careful with a used Tesla as they're now disableing supercharging on ones with an insurance claim against them. It's easy buy a write off unknowingly as the insurance companies aren't quick to write them off on paper could take 12mts.
    https://electrek.co/2020/02/12/tesla-disables-supercharging-salvaged-vehicles/
    It's a ****ty move by Tesla that will sting people who bought a perfectly fine car.
    It should also drive insurance premiums for any Tesla through the roof in times to come.

Thanks all for the replies. Need a few ducks to line up first but probably getting one in the next 3-6 months. The 2003 Megane has only so much left to give.

unkel: Free supercharging is a nice to have but not really very practical or useful in Ireland. AP, AWD and smart air suspension are the only options that I would be willing to pay more for. Oh and the 2016 facelift.

jhegarty, how do you tell it is an import?
    [Edit: Nevermind. I see it in the ad now]

This one looks nice.

GBP32k for a 2016 with AP1 is not bad. But you're doing yourself a favour waiting it out until later this year. I'd say the cheapest Model S (no AP), currently GBP27k, will be GBP23k cars before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

bf wrote: »

I actually registered for this. Had everything setup. Wasn't allowed to click into live bid for some reason.

Anyone see what it went for?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

mad m wrote: »
    I actually registered for this. Had everything setup. Wasn't allowed to click into live bid for some reason.

Anyone see what it went for?

€24930 including fees, not really worth it to be honest.

2017 Tesla Model S, high spec, AP2.5, enhanced autopilot (smart summon, auto lane change, etc.), air suspension, performance upgrade (0-60 in 4s)

GBP39.5k and the price seems to be dropping rapidly. Private sale. 67 reg, so would get an Irish 172 reg, car is less than 2.5 years old, so still under Tesla warranty. 1 owner car.

862daddf3f254c4faf150dcb43c8ede8.jpg

Linky

Negotiate a grand off and with a cheap flight and ferry and budgeting €1,800 VRT, you'd get this on a 172 plate for a touch over EUR48k

That is a substantial bargain. Arguably better than mine. Although it's a private seller so not the same risk free experience as buying from Tesla direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

kanuseeme wrote: »
    https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/60044339 BMW i3 cat N , battery is flat and no keys. August 2017 reg, road tax expired 27-12-19, no reserve.

Don't touch a crashed I3. Very hidden damage to the carbon fiber can make it unrepairable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭User1998

When Copart says “V5 Notes: None” I presume that means theres No V5?

Advertisement