Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Got a leaf home from bristol few months ago for 300e on a car transporter.

Bar one that I happened to pick up the North, I've brought all mine via transporter, never seen the cars in person, I know my homework and work from there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

To be honest, the ludicrous thing wouldn't be on my wish list at all. All the talk of 0.1 second faster to 100 is all bollox, in my opinion. The Model 3 standard performance should be enough for anyone for normal road use. Even the E-Niro only occasionally needs full throttle when passing, or embarrassing BMW drivers at the lights. :D

I have no intention of using any new car on a track. If I want a track experience, it would be in a very large V8 petrol. I love the EV drive for normal driving, but you can't beat the drama of big V8 petrol powered cars in the right setting.

Funny you mention the V8 petrol. I love them, my favourite engine. I bought my first one 20 years ago when I realised that for the performance I wanted, a small engine with a turbo wasn't going to cut the mustard and I needed something normally breathing with a lot of torque at idle. I've since owned several V8 petrol cars, most of them as my family car. And back then too, I used full throttle a lot. Every day.

Most of the saloons I've had in the last few years before I bought an EV were 6 cylinder petrols, as the V8s weren't around much anymore. And when I was going to replace the last one, there were no suitable petrol cars at all, just diesels. Hate that, so it made my transition to EV a bit less painful

And in my humble EV (Ioniq), I used full throttle every day too. Many times. I would have been very happy with a base Tesla Model S 60, performance wise, or a base Tesla Model 3, but I ended up through shear luck with an S P85. And you guessed it, I use full throttle every day. Many times. I'm too mean to spend €500 on a CCS conversion, but if I could get ludicrous for €3,000, I would buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can't upgrade to ludicrous. Back in the day it was a hardware and software change
    And, ludicrous mode only came in with the D models.
    Now it's standard on P

PS: My favourite engine (other than two great 6 cylinders OM606 and 6BT, along with a 4 cyl XUD) is a v8 diesel.

Although the mercedes v12 from the 90s s600 the e60 BMW v10, and the ludicrous v12 TDI from vag are also contenders, along with the good old big block mopar 440 v8s.

Ain't no replacement for displacement.

Ah I know you can't. My point is that if I could, I would upgrade and I would be willing to pay ludicrous money for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

ELM327 wrote: »
    You can't upgrade to ludicrous. Back in the day it was a hardware and software change
    And, ludicrous mode only came in with the D models.
    Now it's standard on P

PS: My favourite engine (other than two great 6 cylinders OM606 and 6BT, along with a 4 cyl XUD) is a v8 diesel.

Although the mercedes v12 from the 90s s600 the e60 BMW v10, and the ludicrous v12 TDI from vag are also contenders, along with the good old big block mopar 440 v8s.

Ain't no replacement for displacement.

Yeah, I'm not against V8 diesel either. My last one was a 6.5 Chevy. Lovely rumble! :D

• Advertisement

the e60 BMW v10

Indeed. I drove it at 8,5k rpm in a 2007 E63. Not on a private road either. Just as well nobody notified judge Zaidan :p

Yeah, I'm not against V8 diesel either. My last one was a 6.5 Chevy. Lovely rumble! :D
    Niiiice
    That's not silent running :cool::P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Niiiice
    That's not silent running :cool::P

Ummm no. :D:D

Smart Fortwo electric

Asking GBP6,000

b87486b95f804d8f88efd62aef17aa1c.jpg

From main dealer, so with warranty. Is this a real bargain? That's up to you. It sure is different from your usual low price EV and there is no battery lease. These cars fetched at least GBP8k up to recently. Get it for GBP5,700 and you will have it on Irish plates for a touch over €6.5k with a cheap flight and ferry and Revolut or other interbank rate transfer. I guess a bit of a bargain alright.

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Never seen one of them before.

What range could you expect from that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

NIMAN wrote: »
    Never seen one of them before.

What range could you expect from that?

https://ev-database.org/car/1230/Smart-EQ-fortwo-coupe

160km at best in city driving in milder weather. 70km winter motorway driving. Not bad to be honest if a city dweller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

That’s actually a grand little car with that range. Good find. I don’t think anyone who owns a petrol smart car would ever do a 100km round trip anyway? Plenty of people out there who’d only need to charge that once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

unkel wrote:
    From main dealer, so with warranty. Is this a real bargain? That's up to you. It sure is different from your usual low price EV and there is no battery lease. These cars fetched at least GBP8k up to recently. Get it for GBP5,700 and you will have it on Irish plates for a touch over €6.5k with a cheap flight and ferry and Revolut or other interbank rate transfer. I guess a bit of a bargain alright.

Cheap flight right in the middle of a virus infested place... Not worth the bargain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

physioman wrote:
    160km at best in city driving in milder weather. 70km winter motorway driving. Not bad to be honest if a city dweller

That's better than L24 for the mild weather urban driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

physioman wrote: »
    https://ev-database.org/car/1230/Smart-EQ-fortwo-coupe

That link says its a 16.7Kw battery, and real range would be 100km.

Why you saying 160km?

Cheapest Tesla in the UK - private sale, asking GBP28,750

AutoPilot, late 2014 car

s-l1600.jpg

Given these uncertain times, I doubt he would refuse a GBP28k offer. With Sterling being very weak at the moment, you can land that car on Irish plates for well under €31k. No VRT due. Or if there is, I would fight it and expect to get it all back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theres a convertible RR in the garden.

Offer 27,5K and dont budge

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭adunis

Can I just point out there is no range rover in the picture ?,I can however see an orange Tata......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

unkel wrote:
    Cheapest Tesla in the UK - private sale, asking GBP28,750

Is that in Manchester? That driveway looks familiar to me..

adunis wrote: »
    Can I just point out there is no range rover in the picture ?,I can however see an orange Tata......
    Is the IPace a Tata too?

Its a RR Evoque convertible.

• Advertisement

(Not sure why I cannot quote posts - this is in reference to the Smart EV)
    Nice Zoe alternative
    They have 3 phase AC too

tedpan wrote: »
    Is that in Manchester? That driveway looks familiar to me..

I didn't post the url properly, here it is:

Linky

Location is London according to the ad.

unkel wrote: »
    I didn't post the url properly, here it is:

Linky

Location is London according to the ad.
    182 miles at about 95% according to that display?
    Very badly degraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭adunis

Is the IPace a Tata too?

Its a RR Evoque convertible.

Well it sure as f ain't a jaguar.........

182 miles at about 95% according to that display?
    Very badly degraded?

At 90-95% that's still 310-325km. Good bit worse than mine (about 365km) but I guess the 133k miles (214k km) on the car have taken their toll.

Over 2.5 years left on the battery warranty though...

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I wonder how the "free supercharging" affects the number of supercharges those early Teslas get? Rapid charging being bad for the SOH of the battery and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

adunis wrote: »

You'd be wrong. as has been pointed out.

At 90-95% that's still 310-325km. Good bit worse than mine (about 365km) but I guess the 133k miles (214k km) on the car have taken their toll.

Over 2.5 years left on the battery warranty though...
    It's a lot less than mine with 170k on the clock (albeit mine is a 90d)
    I'd be buying that expecting a fk ton of deg

170k km I presume? So you are out of warranty at this stage? Any word on any MCU1 replacement under warranty?

His has 214k km and is 2 years older and has a smaller battery.

• Advertisement

170k km I presume? So you are out of warranty at this stage? Any word on any MCU1 replacement under warranty?

His has 214k km and is 2 years older and has a smaller battery.

214k km on a slightly smaller battery with better chemistry (the 85 degrades less than the 90 pack).

Out of warranty, yes. No word on mcu , the issues have stopped since they did the firmware update so I can't go back based on nothing! To be honest I'll be paying for MCU2 upgrade on day one so I'm not concerned. Once it doesnt fail before then! (Unlikely as the warning signs are not there - warning signs include long wakeup time, random dropping out of bluetooth/lte, SRS light staying on a little too long)

Advertisement