Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Precisely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

ELM327 wrote: »
    Precisely

giphy.gif

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

If we were sure that Chargepoint would be able/willing to keep their session charge at €7.42, buying big battery, fast charging cars would be a good choice.

I'm not sure how long they can hold out with that pricing model though. Last time I charged at Ionity with Chargepoint, I paid a little over 13c per kWh. That's cheaper than my home day rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not those Ionity charges again! Even if you needed Ionity for 10k km per year (do the rest on home charging, work charging, free public charging, other fast chargers like Tesla Superchargers) in a thirsty Model S doing 25kWh/100km then at €0.79 / kWh this will cost you €1,975 per year. That's a fraction of the deprecation a 2016 Model S will suffer in a year. I bet even the finance costs are something in that order!

If we were sure that Chargepoint would be able/willing to keep their session charge at €7.42, buying big battery, fast charging cars would be a good choice.

I'm not sure how long they can hold out with that pricing model though. Last time I charged at Ionity with Chargepoint, I paid a little over 13c per kWh. That's cheaper than my home day rate!
    Shhh!
    They don't know about it I'm sure, don't mention it!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nah, did some googling and extensive youtubing after that comment and came to my senses. You only get the ionity discount MSP rate after paying nearly 20 quid a month. And after that, its still more expensive than Tesla. (28c vs 31c).

I think I'll stick to my nerfed chargegate/batterygate S until next year as planned. Hopefully there'll be some concrete word on Cybertruck then!!

Interesting....

Went to checkout out your S but the pics have all disappeared:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058028620

Interesting....

Went to checkout out your S but the pics have all disappeared:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058028620
    That's strange. Wonder why. I certainly didnt remove them.. (and without doxing myself , they are on the Tesla Ireland facebook group anyway)

Thanks for the link, was good to read through my thread again and remember the process.

The firmware they fixed on the MCU really seems to have fixed the issue, I don't get any of the freezes or restarts ever now.

No issues at all really to be honest, and bar 10 quid on a puncture repair (nail in rear tire) no issues at all with the car. And sure I'm not driving it much now anyway!

That's strange. Wonder why. I certainly didnt remove them.. (and without doxing myself , they are on the Tesla Ireland facebook group anyway)

Thanks for the link, was good to read through my thread again and remember the process.

The firmware they fixed on the MCU really seems to have fixed the issue, I don't get any of the freezes or restarts ever now.

No issues at all really to be honest, and bar 10 quid on a puncture repair (nail in rear tire) no issues at all with the car. And sure I'm not driving it much now anyway!

Yours is a 2016 P90D is it? Doubtful it'll be in my price range in a years time so, given the value you got when you brought it in, and the equivalent price if that car was bought in Ireland.

Knowing my luck, my wife will come around to the idea of upgrading from the Ioniq around the time they remove the first 5k VRT on EVs. Savings are underway though, so plenty time.

Just a S90D, no P.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Knowing my luck, my wife will come around to the idea of upgrading from the Ioniq around the time they remove the first 5k VRT on EVs...

Don't forget the Brexit 31.12.20 cut-off to avoid VAT as well as VRT

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say that will be extended... but once it comes in, it won't be as cheap to buy from UK.
    I intend on selling mine next year Q2 at a fair price.

slave1 wrote: »
    Don't forget the Brexit 31.12.20 cut-off to avoid VAT as well as VRT

Ah. 100% going to be after that cut-off. That'll make things much more expensive alright. Can't win, and then we'll eventually need a bigger car (family of 2+2 shortly), with bigger range (staycations), and our only real options will be an overpriced Model S, or an eNiro. While the eNiro might be a newer car, longer warranty etc, it's not a patch on a MS. They too rare too (for second hand), so if needs must we could be looking at a new eNiro costing €40k, which we'd agree is too much money (new car, instant depreciation).

Before learning about the brexit VAT date above, i'd of been thinking 2022 for a change of car. Ioniq would be 5 years old with 2 years warranty left. Kids would be 2 & 4 and staycations would be getting pretty cramped in the Ioniq, and the range would likely be wearing thin on us for holiday options. My tetris skills can only do so much when packing a boot. :rolleyes:

New Niro for €40k or used MS, no brainer for me anyhow, Tesla all the way

Yup, I made the same decision.

Although for me the likes of Kona, Niro etc didnt figure (beyond fleetingly anyway) it was New 3 vs Used S.

Yup. Same, but if brexit = too expensive to shop in the UK, then the high priced Irish market is my only option, with less 2nd hand supply coming in.

I'll file these thoughts under "I told you so" for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Nice spec. I assume it's a prefacelift (ie nosecone) model?
    Bit pricey but tbh if I were ever looking to trade my S ('16 S90D facelift) for another S yours sounds ideal.

Yes old nose but it is Tesla red. I might enjoy another summer of sunroof before selling. Just saw that someone was looking for almost exact spec and thought I would throw it out there.

If anyone is looking and interested just give me a shout. There is a little wiggle room on price (not much).

Ah. 100% going to be after that cut-off. That'll make things much more expensive alright. Can't win, and then we'll eventually need a bigger car (family of 2+2 shortly), with bigger range (staycations), and our only real options will be an overpriced Model S, or an eNiro. While the eNiro might be a newer car, longer warranty etc, it's not a patch on a MS. They too rare too (for second hand), so if needs must we could be looking at a new eNiro costing €40k, which we'd agree is too much money (new car, instant depreciation).

Before learning about the brexit VAT date above, i'd of been thinking 2022 for a change of car. Ioniq would be 5 years old with 2 years warranty left. Kids would be 2 & 4 and staycations would be getting pretty cramped in the Ioniq, and the range would likely be wearing thin on us for holiday options. My tetris skills can only do so much when packing a boot. :rolleyes:

With family you cannot beat a model S. So much room to spare and kids love a good speed burst. Autopilot while dealing with kids is also something to consider.

Smck1983 wrote: »
    With family you cannot beat a model S. So much room to spare and kids love a good speed burst. Autopilot while dealing with kids is also something to consider.

It comes in handy already in the Ioniq, though our long range/motorway drives are pretty limited.

It comes in handy already in the Ioniq, though our long range/motorway drives are pretty limited.

I go to Scotland regularly (at least used to) with the kids no issues at all. The boot on the S is significantly bigger over double the size I would say. Buggies bikes and all sorts no problem.

Smck1983 wrote: »
    I go to Scotland regularly (at least used to) with the kids no issues at all. The boot on the S is significantly bigger over double the size I would say. Buggies bikes and all sorts no problem.

Yup. I'm thinking along the same lines. Only babies, but I see a bike in my not so distant future, and when we went to center parcs with just the 1 the Ioniq was packed!

I'm in no rush to change the car, but I know we will physically outgrow the ioniq (we filled my old Passat CC boot when our first born was just a baby with all the gear we shipped around with her). And now i'm more aware of impending additional import expenses, combined with the pound gone a bit strong. Unfortunately they don't change my theoretical timeline, or my wives' opinion. Eventually though, we'll run out of room and patience (having to stop to charge) with the ioniq, and end up exactly where I expect we will. Between an eNiro and an S, but without the market on our side. Our the alternate option... an ICE car! :eek:

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes. See the Model S thread. Gumbo has first dibs though :p

2015 85D, 7 seater, with some tesla warranty.
    Decent miles on it at 105k but £31k for it
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202005049172098

crash repair

No details of the warranty, perhaps just the battery/motor, no mention of AP or free supercharging, it has premium sound and looks in super nick but I doubt the dealer knows 100% what they are selling

No chance it has AP (cue ELM327 coming on saying it does have the hardware :p) or Tesla warranty and a UK second hand car dealer "warranty" is not much good here. But bejaysus is it cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

2015 85D, 7 seater, with some tesla warranty.
    Decent miles on it at 105k but £31k for it
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202005049172098

Run away as fast as you can.

This vehicle was written off (Cat S)
    This vehicle has sustained damage to part of its structural frame or chassis in the past, and the insurer decided that repairing it would have cost more than replacing it.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Run away as fast as you can.

This vehicle was written off (Cat S)
    This vehicle has sustained damage to part of its structural frame or chassis in the past, and the insurer decided that repairing it would have cost more than replacing it.
    Probably also means that fast charging is disabled.

It was cheap for a reason so. Thanks jhegarty, hopefully someone in here has dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

If that has been crashed repaired, tesla won't stand over anything, right?

• Advertisement

ewj1978 wrote: »
    If that has been crashed repaired, tesla won't stand over anything, right?

Think Tesla pretty much say "that car is off the road permanently", and turn off a few features. Supercharging being 1 of them.

Advertisement