Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You could get an Aer Lingus flight to London, but there might be no seats available!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

If you're happy to buy a car sight unseen, you can always have it brought over for a few hundred quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's about €400 all in, a car delivered from anywhere in the UK to your home in Ireland. Friend had it done just a few weeks ago. Pretty good value at that. You won't get much change out of that doing it yourself at short notice, with taxis, flight, ferry and subsistence. And of course you would lose the guts of a day of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

slave1 wrote: »
    But that was NI Unkel, not the same restrictions at all at all.
    I've a car lined up, can book flight and ferry no bother but all in vain if someone will stop me en route and tell me to turn around.
    Fukk1n lockdown

Forget ireland restrictions. The UK has the second highest death rate in the world. There isn't a cheap car in the world that would make me go over there to pick anything up. You don't know who's hand your shaking. What car door your opening what charger your plugging into. What petrol station your buying food out of.

Besides they are restricted over there too. You won't be able to drive around willy nilly same stop and checks as over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

slave1 wrote: »
    But that was NI Unkel, not the same restrictions at all at all.
    I've a car lined up, can book flight and ferry no bother but all in vain if someone will stop me en route and tell me to turn around.
    Fukk1n lockdown
    Just carry a few tesco bags in the front seat, be grand.
    Although I would suggest paying to have any car transported to you. as below.

If you're happy to buy a car sight unseen, you can always have it brought over for a few hundred quid.

Even in the good old pre covid days, I vowed "never again" after my last collection in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

Likewise, when you get back home and you don't have a charger installed, how do you charge overnight? I know you can plug into your three pin but I couldn't do that without leaving a window open and then the house alarm wouldn't be operational.

Put cable through letter box, power from back garden shed or out upstairs window, most alarms can be set with windows open, even tie it shut with string. I used a waterproof outdoor socket extension lead for first 3 weeks of ownership.

https://www.tog.ie/2018/10/october-2018-open-social-electric-vehicle-theme/evwith-charger/

You need to get a proper charger asap but it works.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

This is interesting....
    Two 2020 (201 reg) cars pretty much identical.
    €10k in the difference in price..........
    Am I missing something?

Kona.png

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

This is interesting....
    Two 2020 (201 reg) cars pretty much identical.
    €10k in the difference in price..........
    Am I missing something?

Kona.png

One has included the €5k VRT rebate and the €5k SEAI grant in the price, while the other has not.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Odd, because the cheaper one is at least a demo model. Few km on it.

Thought these were around 38k after grants?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Dealer pricing themselves out of it. But he'll do a deal and take a few quid off just for you.

When i bought my E-soul the difference in lowest trade in to highest trade in was 5K!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Has to be something wrong here, 2017 Model X 90D £31.5k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesla-Model-X-90D-Auto-4WD/373045090366

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I reported both to ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Is that a fake E-bay site? When you put the listing numbers of both of those cars into E-bay, there are no matches.

Edit: maybe they've been pulled since reported.

No, they were on ebay real earlier as they came up in my saved search for Teslas

Seller no feedback. Registered on eBay in 2020.

Why scam at such an unrealistic price?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...because there's always one

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Seller no feedback. Registered on eBay in 2020.

Why scam at such an unrealistic price?

Because they only want to deal with really oblivious people.

They don't want to have the car a little cheap and then have 10 people drop out after hearing they need to western union the money to Nigeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Model 3 long range .... unrecorded. https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/33933150

• Advertisement

Nearly all written off Teslas sell for way more than they should. And you're opening yourself up to a world of pain, with Tesla very likely switching off your access to superchargers. Model 3 in Europe have CCS too, so don't depend on the supercharger network, but of course Tesla could very likely remotely disable this too. In other words, unless you are buying a crashed Tesla for parts / the battery, don't do it.

It looks worse than it is, could see it making £25k+
    as that's unrecorded could Tesla block it?

It looks worse than it is, could see it making £25k+
    as that's unrecorded could Tesla block it?

The VIN is in the photos. That's all Tesla needs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

In the US they've been known to monitor copart looking for VINs which they later disable.

I doubt they can disable that one, damage looks minor but expensive, I'd say you'd have change out of a 10k repair budget. How much is vrt on a newish model 3?
    If you had it repaired and standing you 35k you'd be doing ok

I doubt they can disable that one

What do you mean? Of course Tesla can disable supercharging on that car. Or on any other Tesla.

unkel wrote: »
    What do you mean? Of course Tesla can disable supercharging on that car. Or on any other Tesla.

They'd need good reason, I'd be challenging that one if the damage is just body panels and some airbags. Definitely not write-off material.

Good luck with that ;)

You think people haven't tried that? You can get supercharging back on written-off repaired car, but last I heard is you need to have the vehicle inspected and approved by Tesla. You can imagine this costs $$$$$$$$ :D

I'd recommend the Rich Rebuilds channel if you are into this stuff.

I wouldn't say a word to them, just take in for a normal service. Better not make the paint job too good it'd give the game away : )
    That car isn't a write off though, it's not advertised as one anyway. Not sure if there's a delay with them getting registered with a claim like here though.
    Anyway I reckon this is going to be far from a bargain, looks straight underneath and not a wompy wheel insight.

• Advertisement

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202005229489658

2015 model S 85 for £31500. Air suspension, sound system, free super charging, panoramic roof and MCU just upgraded.
    Bit of miles on it though at 107k.

Seems around what 2014 models were asking for recently enough. Pound doesn't help at the moment though.

Advertisement