Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cheapest CPO Model S now GBP34.2k. And it's just an 85 from 2014 without AP1, no free supercharging, no premium connectivity and just steel suspension. Does have dual chargers and Ultra High Fidelity Sound. Not a bargain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Quick question on Tesla CPO cars. Will/do Tesla transfer the car to a dealership of your choosing for collection? I know Manchester collections have been mentioned a lot, but in those scenarios i've see the car has always been located in Manchester. What is the car is in London? Will Tesla ship it to Manchester, or do you need to fly into London and find your way to the dealer and back to the ferry? Obviously closer to the ferry is much more convenient for Irish imports.

This would actually open up a lot more cars.
    I’ve brought 3 cars from London in the last year, and as much as the drive is fine, I’d like to reduce it if possible.

I’ve done Birmingham to Holyhead in an Avensis that wasn’t too bad.

slave1 wrote: »
    ...and you get free supercharging on day one of ownership to make drive home that little bit sweeter

Once you buy privately or from a third party garage.
    Is it just a case of downloading the Tesla app and adding the car there and then?

With Nissan and car wings it’s a nightmare.
    BMW you can do in the car, it sends a code to the car to make sure you there in the car at that time that you type in and it’s sorted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No you can’t add the car there and then, Tesla will remove with current owners permission and then new owner needs to furnish vehicle registration documents in their name with proof of address and drivers licence, takes a good time to do normally

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I guess one of the perks of buying from Tesla directly. When I got the keys and was invited to have a look / play with the car on delivery day (while it was supercharging), they had already sorted all that and when I launched the app on my phone, it was already linked to the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Looks like there may a big grant increase in the uk next month. Should depress second hand prices for anyone looking at a 2019 model 3.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/06/08/uk_electric_car_6k_incentive/

Weird though, Britain doesn't have much of an EV producing industry. Leaf production is all but gone. Then there is the MINI, which will only ever be a fringe car, not mass market. Not much more worth mentioning. But Angela and Emmanuel will be very pleased with this plan :D

We will have to wait until the 6th of July for the announcement

unkel wrote: »
    Cheapest CPO Model S now GBP34.2k. And it's just an 85 from 2014 without AP1, no free supercharging, no premium connectivity and just steel suspension. Does have dual chargers and Ultra High Fidelity Sound. Not a bargain.

Reduced to £34k now

Should be around the GBP30k mark, no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭daddy_boy

Weird though, Britain doesn't have much of an EV producing industry. Leaf production is all but gone. Then there is the MINI, which will only ever be a fringe car, not mass market. Not much more worth mentioning. But Angela and Emmanuel will be very pleased with this plan :D

We will have to wait until the 6th of July for the announcement

could be changing -
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/20/uk-first-car-battery-gigafactory-amte-power-britishvolt

https://electrek.co/2020/06/09/tesla-uk-factory-rumor-gain-traction-elon-musk/

• Advertisement

Plans from a few startup companies and a rumour about Tesla. Who knows, but I believe it when I see something a bit more concrete!

Opinions

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25020705

P85D
    7 seats.
    19” wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,897 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Gumbo wrote: »
    This would actually open up a lot more cars.
    I’ve brought 3 cars from London in the last year, and as much as the drive is fine, I’d like to reduce it if possible.

I’ve done Birmingham to Holyhead in an Avensis that wasn’t too bad.
    Yup
    My S was based in London and they shipped it to manchester

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Opinions

P85D
    7 seats.
    19” wheels.

Given their description (or lack of it) you'd need a vin to see if it's worth it. Seems pricey on the face of it though.

Opinions

P85D
    7 seats.
    19” wheels.

That has been for sale for a long time, at least 2 months. Price is a little bit too high, but surely they will take offers. Try get the VIN over the phone and we can have a look at the options. Most likely fully loaded like mine, with dual chargers, sound, air, etc. The car looks exactly like mine.

The radar for AP1 is there too, but Tesla enabling AP1 might not be a financially viable solution if they even offer that service at all. It will make enabling an independent system like OpenPilot easier and cheaper though.

That has been for sale for a long time, at least 2 months. Price is a little bit too high, but surely they will take offers. Try get the VIN over the phone and we can have a look at the options. Most likely fully loaded like mine, with dual chargers, sound, air, etc. The car looks exactly like mine.

The radar for AP1 is there too, but Tesla enabling AP1 might not be a financially viable solution if they even offer that service at all. It will make enabling an independent system like OpenPilot easier and cheaper though.
    For sale >6 months.
    Was there a long time before I bought my S in October.

I doubt they've had no interest in the car, so that probably means they are looking for too much money - still. I seem to remember their asking price was much higher before. Pretty decent deal in the early 40s if the car is fully loaded and still has Tesla warranty, don't you think?

I doubt they've had no interest in the car, so that probably means they are looking for too much money - still. I seem to remember their asking price was much higher before. Pretty decent deal in the early 40s if the car is fully loaded and still has Tesla warranty, don't you think?

No, I dont think it's that great of a deal.
    Irish prices are too high as it stands.

Early 40s for a performance is a pretty good deal provided it has Tesla warranty! The cheapest one from Tesla itself is GBP38.5k (also pre-facelift), which would cost you EUR43.5k plus VRT landed.

As a guide I was bidding on a 2014 AP1 P85 with 5months Tesla warranty, every single extra inc chademo and ccs upgrade and lost interest at £34.5k as better value out there

• Advertisement

Don’t forget this is the D model too.
    So not just a P85, it’s a P85D.

To most people P models don't add much value. To the likes of me (and Gumbo) they most certainly do. I'd take a P with zero options over a non-P fully loaded with AP any day. The only bad thing is that once you have one, you would probably never be satisfied with another Tesla unless it is also a P...

Most people also wouldnt know that the earlier P models (especially the RWD ones) are not as fast as some of the newer non P models.
    The new LR S is 3.8 seconds 0-60, which is I think faster than then P85 RWD.

In saying that. I'd love a P85+. It's the best performance Tesla in terms of handling and traditional power delivery. Staggered wheels, massive motor at the back driving the rear wheels.

To most people P models don't add much value. To the likes of me (and Gumbo) they most certainly do. I'd take a P with zero options over a non-P fully loaded with AP any day. The only bad thing is that once you have one, you would probably never be satisfied with another Tesla unless it is also a P...

I'm the exact opposite, went away from a 2014 P85 to a 2015 85 because the P means nothing for me, although another benefit from earlier P models was upgraded interior.
    For me the newer car, super long warranty and colour moved me from P to base.

Great thing about the Tesla, you can't tell a thing from the outside as to what "extras" it has, just the numbering on the back for those of us that know the difference and sure a couple of euro from AliExpress and we can update the lettering to anything we want. €20 will get me from a 85 to a P85D+:pac:

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm the exact opposite, went away from a 2014 P85 to a 2015 85 because the P means nothing for me, although another benefit from earlier P models was upgraded interior.
    For me the newer car, super long warranty and colour moved me from P to base.

Great thing about the Tesla, you can't tell a thing from the outside as to what "extras" it has, just the numbering on the back for those of us that know the difference and sure a couple of euro from AliExpress and we can update the lettering to anything we want. €20 will get me from a 85 to a P85D+:pac:
    Yes, you can add models that dont exist :D

ELM327 wrote: »
    In saying that. I'd love a P85+. It's the best performance Tesla in terms of handling and traditional power delivery. Staggered wheels, massive motor at the back driving the rear wheels.

Apart from the staggered wheels (2cm wider at the rear) and a slightly tighter suspension setup, P85 and P85+ are identical

But yeah, I'm with you. Much prefer the RWD to AWD and the torque is so high that the traction control system can't cope with it. Yeah! :p

Apart from the staggered wheels (2cm wider at the rear) and a slightly tighter suspension setup, P85 and P85+ are identical

But yeah, I'm with you. Much prefer the RWD to AWD and the torque is so high that the traction control system can't cope with it. Yeah! :p
    Hey, whatya know, I thought they have a bigger rear motor but they don't

4.2 s 0-60, same as my S90D but the handling and power delivery would be so much more satisfying with only a rear motor. I'm suddenly more envious of your S now!

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

To the model S thread! <Spinny batman symbol>

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Matqo

The exact same car (same VIN) appeared on CPO over a month ago for sub 30k + Free supercharging for the next buyer. Now it has a few more miles driven on it and no free supercharging. Leads me to believe that they've bumped the overall base price for a CPO Model S.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. We had a similar car a few days ago for GBP29.6k

There seems to be some sort of algorithm at play here. Badly written too, or so it seems, as a lot of the time the pricing makes no sense (when you compare two CPO cars for sale at the same time with each other)

Advertisement