Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo airport

Options
  • 23-12-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Was out at the people's market recently and was wondering if there is still people working at the airport? (Apart from coastguard crew). Is there still atc/fire for private planes/coastguard heli and emergencies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

couple of lads there alright, hours not great. they fuel the rescue chopper or any private aircraft that come in. there is an air traffic controller also. nice airport(on a nice day)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

couple of lads there alright, hours not great. they fuel the rescue chopper or any private aircraft that come in. there is an air traffic controller also. nice airport(on a nice day)

Is there fire cover as well? Must be boring enough for atc and ground crew with really only rescue helicopter operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I've seen the fire tender out when the chopper is landing, not sure if they're there all the time or just some of it.
    I've seen the chopper being refueled while still running and the fire truck is right beside it, I think it's for when they have to get back out quickly and is understandably a risky process.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

promethius wrote: »
    I've seen the fire tender out when the chopper is landing, not sure if they're there all the time or just some of it.
    I've seen the chopper being refueled while still running and the fire truck is right beside it, I think it's for when they have to get back out quickly and is understandably a risky process.
    I wonder who pays their wages. Are they employed by the airport/chc/Sligo fire service

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

sligolad1 wrote: »
    I wonder who pays their wages. Are they employed by the airport/chc/Sligo fire service

Sligo Flying club operate out of there, as well as a small number of privately owned small aircraft. There is also a maintenance company operating out of the smaller hangar.
    There is still a bit of traffic apart from the coast Guard but not a huge amount.

• Advertisement
Advertisement