Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrie Fisher in critical condition after Heart attack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Shergar6 wrote: »
    Sounds like she might be ok - in a stable condition as per her brother. Would she really be allowed out of ICU an hour after she had stopped breathing for 10 minutes?

I hope she will be ok. I actually thought she was nearer 70 than only 60. She was so young playing Princess Leia.

I have to say those two youtube stars jumping straight on social media were so irresponsible. They really gave the impression she was at death's door.

Her brother is now saying he never said she was stable
    There really is not much to say. She is in the intensive care unit, she is being well looked after. If everyone could just pray for her that would be good. The doctors are doing their thing and we don’t want to bug them. We are waiting by patiently.”

He also addressed an earlier comment attributed to him, in which he was alleged to have said his sister was in “stable condition.”

“I don’t know where they got that word from. That is absolutely not even close to the truth. We don’t know. We hope for the best. We certainly do not know her condition, that’s why she is in ICU. I’m sure everyone wants to speculate but now is not the time for that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Her brother is now saying he never said she was stable

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ah ok, so I can't post concern but others can posts jokes about a heart attack.

Gotcha.

Seriously, get over yourself. You have as much concern for this woman you never met as me or anyone else. Don't purport to assume that saying 'may the force...' meant that I hoped this woman dies and leaves behind a heartbroken family and millions of fans.

I watched the original Star wars like millions of others and loved it. Carrie is a superstar!

I hope she is ok as I would hope anyone is that has a heart attack.

Taking the moral high ground, at least in this instance, has made you look incredibly foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Simon Climie, yes. Rob Fisher, not so much.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Even if she was stable, that could also mean anything and it certainly shouldn't suggest that she's on the mend.
    The odds are stacked against her, I think that's a fair statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

RayM wrote: »
    Oh 2016, what have you done now?

"Nothing actually, I'm just a number and I don't have the capacity to actually control any of the events that occur while the earth is revolving around the sun"

I've never watched Star Wars/Trek (whichever of them she was in), but Carrie Fisher was really good as Rob Delaney's mother in Catastrophe. It doesn't sound very good at all, but I hope she makes a full recovery.
    I hate the "2016 is evil" thing too. People die.

Also, even though I'm mad into science fiction, I never 'did' Star Wars, and never got the Princess Leia thing. But she's a funny woman, with biting humour. I hope she pulls through. On 8 Out of 10 Cats the other day, she was saying she was going to her mother's for Christmas. Debbie Reynolds is 84 now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Are you serious? Why else would you post it to After Hours? A few years ago humour was actually the main currency in this forum. No wonder boards is dying.

So you are saying we post it in AH, not because she is one of the most instantly recognisable pop culture icons in history, but so moronic posts can be whipped up.

Posting humourless **** about human beings and others defending it. No wonder boards is dying.

Seriously, get over yourself. You have as much concern for this woman you never met as me or anyone else. Don't purport to assume that saying 'may the force...' meant that I hoped this woman dies and leaves behind a heartbroken family and millions of fans.

I watched the original Star wars like millions of others and loved it. Carrie is a superstar!

I hope she is ok as I would hope anyone is that has a heart attack.

Taking the moral high ground, at least in this instance, has made you look incredibly foolish.

Did I say I had a problem with that particular post? How do you know what I do/do not feel. How do you know if I have or have not ever met her. Christ, that's is a lot of presumptions for one post.

I have concern for her because of something called empathy for other people, their lives and their families. Gasp.

I'm not taking a moral high ground. I'm calling out the beginning of the typical boards comedic posts when something **** happens another human being.

It's beyond me how someone can hear about such news and think "ooh Carrie Fisher has had a heart attack, I most pop on to boards once I come up with a tasteless gag".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

If you're referring to "may the force be with her" comments they are clearly written with affection by her fans. I'm struggling to see what's offensive there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Did I say I had a problem with that particular post? How do you know what I do/do not feel. How do you know if I have or have not ever met her. Christ, that's is a lot of presumptions for one post.

Have you met her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dolbert wrote: »
    If you're referring to "may the force be with her" comments they are clearly written with affection by her fans. I'm struggling to see what's offensive there?

One thing we learnt in 2016 - is the ridiculous false connection people have with celebrities.

Yes you can feel a bit upset and sad - but the reaction of some people is ridiculous.

We need to embrace our own life and people in it.

I know Carrie is bipolar - but se had a lot of addiction problems too - was partially chicken and egg .

Anyway - may the force be with her.

Is she in the next few star wars - could be a problem ?

Exactly! Thank you. :)

I have concern for her because of something called empathy for other people, their lives and their families. Gasp.

I'm not taking a moral high ground. I'm calling out the beginning of the typical boards comedic posts when something **** happens another human being.

It's beyond me how someone can hear about such news and think "ooh Carrie Fisher has had a heart attack, I most pop on to boards once I come up with a tasteless gag".

The presumption that you presumed posts were meant in a mean-spirited way is the crux of this. You are making this thread about your interpretation of empathy.

I did presume you had never met this woman. And I presume that is a fact. There is no need for you to police this thread and dictate what is or isn't acceptable empathy.

And did you mean my post? You didn't clarify either way.

Ok clearly I have to spell it out because you are consistently referring to a different post. I am referring to the post where she saw the CGI in Rouge One and had a heart attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ok clearly I have to spell it out because you are consistently referring to a different post. I am referring to the post where she saw the CGI in Rouge One and had a heart attack.

What's Rouge One? A type of make up? How disrespectful, getting the name of the film wrong.

• Advertisement

Moronic posts staring already :rolleyes:

Hope she pulls through.
    It would have helped if you had quoted the post and not said posts - plural - which indicates more than one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Apparently it happened shortly before landing so maybe that will go in her favour. She went in to full cardiac arrest. Passengers performed cpr until paramedics took over on landing but it took them 15 mins to get a pulse. That seems like a long time :(

Jesus :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Birneybau wrote: »
    What's Rouge One? A type of make up? How disrespectful, getting the name of the film wrong.

It's like everyone got up the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Glad she's pulled through the night, at least. I hope she recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

I can't be blamed for this one, I'm still in bed!

I wasn't much into the SWs films but I've seen her a lot on TV recently and she's always been very enjoyable and entertaining to listen to and has had such an interesting life. Hope she recovers, it's not going to be a great Christmas for her or her family.

Anyway lads be nice to each other or Santa won't be visiting ye tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Either ban these threads or the Terminally Offended from AH.

Might give the rest of us a fcuking break.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I hate the "2016 is evil" thing too. People die.

yep, 2017 won't be any better folks

most iconic famous people of the 1960s, 70s & 80s are now reaching coffin dodgin age....expect more famous deaths next year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

You made it sound like there was a barrage of tasteless jokes. The thread has been unusually respectful if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Either ban these threads or the Terminally Offended from AH.

Might give the rest of us a fcuking break.

I dunno. I'm sick of the "but this is AH" justification thrown out for tasteless "funny" comments by the "look at me, aren't I gas!" thanks-whoring types.

AH or not, there's a time for jokes and a time for a bit of common decency and respect.. as in fact we've seen with some very serious threads here where posters have rallied together to offer support to someone.

There's plenty of other threads for people to be "funny" in IMO. Bit of cop on however is always welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

She went in to full cardiac arrest. Passengers performed cpr until paramedics took over on landing but it took them 15 mins to get a pulse. That seems like a long time :(

is that possible? to survive 15 mins with no pulse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

For me 'Postcards from the Edge' is the best of Carrie Fisher..( based on her semi-autobiographical novel of the same title

She is so down to earth with wit and talent .... she is from original hollywood royalty , daugther of Debbie Reynolds and (the great singer) Eddie Fisher (before he eloped with Elizabeth Taylor)

Multi talented woman ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

philstar wrote: »
    is that possible? to survive 15 mins with no pulse?

Not without what amounts to brain death, no (unless the brain is kept in a very cold environment, in which case the amount of damage is very significantly reduced).

I'm hoping that time is exaggerated, or that the meaning is somewhat distorted (15 mins to get a stable pulse as opposed to any pulse).

Either way she is unlikely to 'die' at this point - it will only be a matter of time to see what damage may have been done. If there was a defibrillator or doctor on the plane this will have a significant increase in likelihood of survival (I'm assuming all planes have defibrillators these days). CPR might increase survival time by a few minutes.

In a couple of days' time doctors will likely attempt to bring her around from the drug induced coma (which I'm assuming they put her in). If she wakes up, she will make a recovery. If she doesn't, she has died. If she is brain damaged, it's a sliding scale. If she survives she may require a heart transplant in the future (if significant damage has been done to her heart), but that is the least of anyone's worries at the moment.

Hoping for the best - 2016 doesn't need another notch in its belt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Does anyone know how many other humans had heart attacks on Friday?
    And of those, how many will have dedicated threads in AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I think carrie herself might even laugh at the jokes made. That type of affectionate "roasting" is something shes likely used to from fans and everyone else. I doubt they find her cardiac arrest funny, for some it may well be thanks whoring, others use humour as a coping/defense mechanism against upsetting events like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-carrie-fisher-cardiac-20161223-story.html

Hoping she pulls through. It happened during a long flight too. Very scary

Who's Carrie fisher when she's at home?

MPFGLB wrote: »
    For me 'Postcards from the Edge' is the best of Carrie Fisher..( based on her semi-autobiographical novel of the same title

She is so down to earth with wit and talent .... she is from original hollywood royalty , daugther of Debbie Reynolds and (the great singer) Eddie Fisher (before he eloped with Elizabeth Taylor)

Multi talented woman ...

really ? Debbie Reynolds of singing in the rain fame ? I didn't know that.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »

Princess Leia from the Star Wars films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

snubbleste wrote: »

Many and one, respectively.

Does that mean

1) We shouldn't talk about anyone having heart attacks
    or...
    2) We should talk about people having heart attacks more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Probably plenty, but none of them kept a young lonely lad company growing up in 1980's rural Ireland company like carrie did in the poster of her in a slave girl costume that I had on my wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Climie Fisher. Safe and sound.

Thank God for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Robsweezie wrote: »
    I think carrie herself might even laugh at the jokes made. That type of affectionate "roasting" is something shes likely used to from fans and everyone else. I doubt they find her cardiac arrest funny, for some it may well be thanks whoring, others use humour as a coping/defense mechanism against upsetting events like these.
    This.

Ah ok, so I can't post concern but others can posts jokes about a heart attack.

Gotcha.
    Why can't there be both? Condemning people for making a joke is incredibly condescending. How do you know Carrie Fisher would be offended? Or should be offended? The answer is you don't. Faux concern as said.

Just to comment, I wouldn't say it's "faux concern", and it's a bit sweeping to dismiss how other people react to news. Sure, I thought the jokes were harmless and affectionate, but it doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't is acting up for attention or making up their concerns.

Your mileage might vary is all. Can we have some season of goodwill around here and assume that most others are probably generally well-meaning? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I dunno. I'm sick of the "but this is AH" justification thrown out for tasteless "funny" comments by the "look at me, aren't I gas!" thanks-whoring types.

AH or not, there's a time for jokes and a time for a bit of common decency and respect.. as in fact we've seen with some very serious threads here where posters have rallied together to offer support to someone.

There's plenty of other threads for people to be "funny" in IMO. Bit of cop on however is always welcome.

Ignore. Move on. Have a butter cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Like the multiculturalism thread? And the other anti-immigration threads? Condemning millions to lives of poverty and often death? But making a few harmless jokes about a famous person having a heart attack is too far. Yeah right! Spare us the outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not sure.

But I don't think there were two many that are cultural icons who played a lead role in what is a multi-billion dollar film franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dudes, it's Christmas Eve, the beloved Carrie Fisher is unwell. Nobody took pleasure from that. Let's just all just hope that she pulls through, she is a fecking legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Reports say she was out for 10 minutes before the flight could land and that's not good. That's 10 minutes her brain was oxygen deprived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Climie Fisher. Safe and sound.

Stupid joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I don't think after hours is the place for you, pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

It should be publicised how poor her lifestyle is in order to bring high profile awareness to the dangerous of not living a healthy life.

It should be publicised how poor her lifestyle is in order to bring high profile awareness to the dangerous of not living a healthy life.

Was her lifestyle poor? I know she had drug issues in her youth, but she bravely overcame them even in the face of serious bi-polar disorder. A great role model for anyone struggling to overcome addiction.

This poor lady is gravely ill and her outcome doesn't appear to be likely to be good. She has at least one child, and I'm sure many other people who love her, and they'll all be devastated at her suffering like this.

In light of that, I think the suggestion that she should be made an example of to be in very poor taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Princess Leia from the Star Wars films.

no, she's Carrie Fisher

*not meant as a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Candie wrote: »
    Was her lifestyle poor? I know she had drug issues in her youth, but she bravely overcame them even in the face of serious bi-polar disorder. A great role model for anyone struggling to overcome addiction.

This poor lady is gravely ill and her outcome doesn't appear to be likely to be good. She has at least one child, and I'm sure many other people who love her, and they'll all be devastated at her suffering like this.

In light of that, I think the suggestion that she should be made an example of to be in very poor taste.

To be fair, Assetbacked's other opinions are very enlightened and in no way trollish or hypocritical:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101149358

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101972903

To be fair, Assetbacked's other opinions are very enlightened and in no way trollish or hypocritical:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101149358

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101972903

That's as may be, but not everything needs to be made into a proselytisation on the evils of lifestyle. There's a human being on the other end of it who probably doesn't need to know that while some people were really hoping she'd get better, others were broadcasting every detail of her life to lecture people on What Not To Do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

RIP

:(

Sad news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Shocking news RIP

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement