Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet for traveling?

Options
  • 24-12-2016 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hiya,

Me and my family are heading off to America next year and I've been looking around for a sim card to pick up over there for Internet access only. I want to get TMobile and I was just wondering if there was any way I could pick it up before I go over there? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Not sure on the picking up beforehand, but how much internet will you need?
    I am asking because many places here (shops, libraries, hotels, town squares etc) have free wifi, so you may not even need a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

I'll be heading over with a teenager so her whole life will be determined by having snapchat when we're out and about ☺ï¸I was looking around and the TMobile plans seemed really good and I would like to have it ready to activate the moment we land. It's a total first world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's purely internet you want and no requirement to make calls this might be of interest...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057647938

Be sure all devices are unlocked.

I have one of those sim cards but I don't think they allow tethering unfortunately. The TMobile plan allows for tethering though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link Robertkk but unfortunately you can't tether with 3. Does anyone know if I can get a TMobile sim card sent over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Easiest way is to walk into a T-mobile shop over there and get the sim.

I do it every year...spend up to 30 days there so I get a 1 month plan with free calls to Ireland and unlimited internet for $70. Obv would be cheaper if you drop the international calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

jme2010 wrote: »
    Easiest way is to walk into a T-mobile shop over there and get the sim.

I do it every year...spend up to 30 days there so I get a 1 month plan with free calls to Ireland and unlimited internet for $70. Obv would be cheaper if you drop the international calls.

This!
    I've done it,just go into the first t mobile store and get a pay as you go sim topped up by whatever is needed for an all you can eat data plan
    I've done it before,you'll be sorted in 5mins

Alternatively if you really need it beforehand,get a three UK sim in Newry and top up to their ayce plan £15 I think
    That's got free data roaming in the U.S

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure if you could just walk into a shop and get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

j_mo wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I wasn't sure if you could just walk into a shop and get it.

Welcome to America, pal. You can get whatever you want 24/7. Don't even have to get out of the car for a starbucks or atm over there :D:D:D

• Advertisement

God bless America ☺ï¸

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mandymo

I bought a SIM card online from teleway sims. It's a T-Mobile sim and was easy to set up. Think it cost €50 but had Unlimited data and my bf used it as a hotspot too. Worth every penny. Enjoy your trip

Advertisement