Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Ultimate SLX Stem options

Options
  • 24-12-2016 4:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a beautiful Canyon CF Ultimate SLX 8.0
    Christmas came early!

The stem is just that little bit too short, I ordered a medium so it came with 100mm and 110 would be perfect I think.
    Does anyone know what Canyon are like for exchanging stems?
    Should I contact them after Christmas or just go order a new Richey stem for €60?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

I think they will swap it for you for free and you end back the new one after you receive theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I think I have a Ritchey 110mm that came off my own Endurace CF (needed to switch out for a 120mm), and since I got the replacement for €40 I'd be happy to let the 110mm go for the same if you get no joy from Canyon. It's basically the 110mm version of the stem in this ad, as I went like for like. It'll be the far side of Christmas before I can get my hands on it again though.

Would suggest contacting Canyon to see first though as per the previous poster I think they will do a swap (I was too late in getting my bike fit done to avail of that though, as I think it needs to be within a month or something from what I heard before)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks lad, I'll take you up on that offer if cython if Canyon are difficult but you'r right they will probably swap if they have it in stock. I'm a little unsure if I need 110 or 120 I just know the stem is slightly too short for me to be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

tuxy wrote: »
    Thanks lad, I'll take you up on that offer if cython if Canyon are difficult but you'r right they will probably swap if they have it in stock. I'm a little unsure if I need 110 or 120 I just know the stem is slightly too short for me to be comfortable.

They will swap it for free. You used to be able to specify the stem you wanted when buying a bike, but I think they were under so much pressure and hassle for most of the first half of this year, that they cut that part out of the sales process.

Provided it is within 30 days they will exchange the stem for a size that suits you.

Personally I would fire them off an email telling them the stem doesn't suit and mention the "swap" but also get the price/good deal on a 110 and a 120 (I think you might be able to get them for about 20e each but I may be way off the mark!) Then send them back the the two that don't suit for a credit. That way you won't be without the bike. They're usually fairly helpful that way.

Excellent, great advice.

• Advertisement

I've a brand new 110mm you can try out if want, I'm between galway/athlone.

jamesd wrote: »
    I've a brand new 110mm you can try out if want, I'm between galway/athlone.

That would be great! Can I contact you about it after Christmas?

That would be great! Can I contact you about it after Christmas?

Yes no bother, at least with a few spins with it you will know if a 110mm or 120mm with be needed from canyon. I'll double check it's 110mm for you tmor or Monday.

Really sound of you, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭theflamingpig

If you're trying out that stem make sure it's the right diamater, canyon have different widths to most other brands.

• Advertisement

I know I need 1 1/4" stem and most bikes use 1 1/8"

I know I need 1 1/4" stem and most bikes use 1 1/8"

Damm this one is 1 1/8" , it's from a cube

No worries, thanks for the offer anyway.

I've found someone who will let me try their ritchey 1 1/4 110mm stem. I think this is the stem that came on the last model slx. Is it safe to use this stem on the new model??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I've found someone who will let me try their ritchey 1 1/4 110mm stem. I think this is the stem that came on the last model slx. Is it safe to use this stem on the new model??

I only copped this a few months ago but the answer is in the forks :/

One One Four and One One Eight.

1 1/4

1 1/8

This and the last few years CF SLX had a 1 1/4 stem, so you are good to go. Canyon last year replaced Ritchey with their own one. Same dimensions though.

[edit] If you want to try a few more sizes, give me a shout. I think I have up to 130mm here. I'm Dublin based though.

The headset and fork size is the only bad point to these excellent bikes.
    J
    ust out of interest do you know if the Ritchey WCS or Canyon v13 is better? I guess there is probably not much in it. I've seen the Ritchey WCS 1 1/4 being sold cheap online in the past.
    I'm in Dublin once a month so may take you up on that if I can't figure out what I need.

Advertisement