Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why has there never been an Irish Pope?

• 24-12-2016 5:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

One of the strongest Catholic countries in Europe.

I think Eamon Casey would have been close if he didn't piss everybody in the Vatican and got sent back to Cork. Casey served as Camerlengo for two separate Pontiffs. He ran the RCC in the interim period between Popes.

If an Irishman every is elected I hope he takes the name, Pope Patrick I.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

I think Eamon Casey would have been close if he didn't piss everybody in the Vatican and got sent back to Cork. Casey served as Camerlengo for two separate Pontiffs. He ran the RCC in the interim period between Popes.

They'll have to do it soon, before Irish priests die out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It wasn't Casey either. Who was the Vatican bigshot (twice Camerlingo) who got himself demoted back to Cobh as a Bishop?

Just can't of his name at the moment?

tonygun wrote: »

I've heard it's desperate all right. I think St Patricks in Maynooth had only about 25 ordained this year.

Francis needs to call a new Vatican Council.

The marriage rule needs to be done away with. Look at the Protestants, they are thriving and we are sinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The fecking Jesuits have it all tied up!

The marriage rule needs to be done away with. Look at the Protestants, they are thriving and we are sinking.

Don't know about that. Difficult to find any figures on Irish protestants but British service attendances have been steadily declining over the last number of years.

The reality is as technology and science make ever increasing leaps people realise they`ll find more "answers" in a Delia Smith cook book than they will in a 2000 year old book written by people that didn't have the benefit of basic scientific principles we now take for granted, such as the earth is round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Because only like 2 Popes in the last 400 odd years weren't Italian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It's hard to beat Delia's water to wine receipe - saved me a fortune this Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I think that you have to be named after a saint and St Patrick was withdrawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

amtc wrote: »

Never knew that. Great bit of Trivia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

amtc wrote: »
    I am curious. Is St Patrick no longer a saint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Advbrd wrote: »
    I am curious. Is St Patrick no longer a saint?
    Yeah, they found out he may have embellished the whole snake banishing incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pope Git sounds good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Going by the census are you?

There should be the question "do you practice this religion". 99% would say NO.

I think in 100 years, all religion will be gone apart from the few nutters in the Middle East and the belt in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Because the feckin Jesuits have it wrapped up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Yeah, they found out he may have embellished the whole snake banishing incident.

Wait until they look into saint Bridget :pac:

**do we still get to celebrate paddy's day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

It wasn't Casey either. Who was the Vatican bigshot (twice Camerlingo) who got himself demoted back to Cobh as a Bishop?

John Magee, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Sounds like a cushy number these days. Throw water at auld ones, let the lay people do the masses, turn up for the hatch, match and dispatch but spend the rest of the time on "important" missionary work in the costa del sin.

Free wine and a house keeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

catbear wrote: »
    Sounds like a cushy number these days. Throw water at auld ones, let the lay people do the masses, turn up for the hatch, match and dispatch but spend the rest of the time on "important" missionary work in the costa del sin.

Free wine and a house keeper!

That is the truth! Know a guy that is now a priest. Has more money than I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Fr. Ted died so young. That put the kibosh to an Irish winner of Pope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Yeah just checked with the parish priest. My mother is on a flight later and had this idea to make confession. Honestly. He was very accommodating and did it over Facetime.

Anyway apparently the Second Vatican Council limited saints so when they wanted new ones they effectively retired old ones whose miracles couldn't be proven, so St Patrick's, St Philo menace were retired
    As was St Christopher, patron saint of travellers which didn't please my mam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

There will never be an Irish Pope. Christianity's intrusion of Ireland is nearing an end. As a foreign religion it has outstayed its welcome.

There will never be an Irish Pope. Christianity's intrusion of Ireland is nearing an end. As a foreign religion it has outstayed its welcome.
    Back to dancing naked in the fields in winter. Looking forward to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Raping Kids ; sure we'll just move you up the road.

Lying about snakes : we'll remove your sainthood.

Logic of the Catholic Church, you'd need to be a firm believer / gob****e to swallow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Me thinks you are assuming Christianity = Catholicism. On the contrary, Christianities impact in Ireland is increasing.

Me thinks you are assuming Christianity = Catholicism. On the contrary, Christianities impact in Ireland is increasing.
    Yeah, it is a common misconception in this country.
    How is Christianities impact in Ireland increasing? Personally, I think it is waning with less people attending church in general. It will be interesting to compare the census figures with the previous set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

How can they knock St Patrick off the list?
    I still haven't saw a snake in the wild in Ireland so that proves his miracle to me anyhow.
    Feicin Italians rigging things again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Fr. Eugene Paterson was seen as an up-and-coming young star in the priesthood at the start of the 20th century. Had a real swagger about him and did a stint in Rome where he worked alongside the future Pope Pius XII in the Vatican Secretariat of State. Definitely cardinal materiaal and who knows after that. Alas, he became extremely fond of wine, returned back to Ireland,and eventually lived a short life of relative squalor while trying to run a small parish in Connemara. He succumbed to complications arising from his alcoholism and died before he hit 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SixSixSix

Why pick a name of a Welshman?

Anyway by the time it happens it might be Deirdre 1.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Going by the census are you?

There should be the question "do you practice this religion". 99% would say NO.

I think in 100 years, all religion will be gone apart from the few nutters in the Middle East and the belt in America.

It won't be gone, In 100 years Islam will be the dominant faith in Europe.

The Caliphate will be realised and the Brothers of the Book (Jews & Christians) will conform to the final word of God Almighty. Allah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

The Caliphate will be realised and the Brothers of the Book (Jews & Christians) will conform to the final word of God Almighty. Allah.

Actually Allah just means God in Arabic, not a particular god, just God in general

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Actually Allah just means God in Arabic, not a particular god, just God in general

All the Abrahamic Faiths believe in the same God.

Jews, the Chosen People.

Christians, the word of Jesus Christ and the New Testament.

Muslims, the final word of God given to the Prophet Mohammed via Angel Gabriel. The literal word of God.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    John Magee, I think.

Mister Magee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like it when I'm angry.

All the Abrahamic Faiths believe in the same God.

Jews, the Chosen People.

Christians, the word of Jesus Christ and the New Testament.

Muslims, the final word of God given to the Prophet Mohammed via Angel Gabriel. The literal word of God.

Agreed, so why are you picking out the word Allah to be different ? It's just a word for God in Arabic, we say God, muslims say Allah and I'm sure every religion has different words for God, why pick one to stir shíte

21/25

Nah it will all be seen for what it is.......BS.
    The middle east is in ashes following rubbish.
    America is in bits following rubbish.
    Europe isn't any better off.
    At some point people will realise all they've got to do is think for themselves and forget about ancient books full of gibberish, racism, homophobia and sexism.

Women are the chosen sex for me and that's coming from a man. Western women used to freedom will never conform to Wahhabism, veils or any other crap.

uch wrote: »
    Agreed, so why are you picking out the word Allah to be different ? It's just a word for God in Arabic, we say God, muslims say Allah and I'm sure every religion has different words for God, why pick one to stir shíte

I don't think anything is different about it. God is Allah, God is Love.

A friend of mine gave me a copy of the Quran to read last month and it has changed my views on things. It's the literal word of God Almighty.

The final word of the Almighty.

Islam is the true word. All brothers of the book should conform to the word of God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

A friend of mine gave me a copy of the Quran to read last month and it has changed my views on things. It's the literal word of God Almighty.

Islam is the true word. All brothers of the book should conform to the word of God.

Jaysis!!!

Jaysis!!!

'Jaysis', Jesus of Nazareth is also a prophet of Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SixSixSix

To be honest all religions are full of profits! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Pope Columbanus I. Sounds cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Pope Damo for me.

Is he the Anti-Christ or,worse yet, is he a Dub?

We'd get new omen films, an alliance between Protestants and Catholics from outside Dublin, Cork might secede, and Kerry folk would have to kiss his ring or take the soup.

Let's make this happen!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

McGee is the name you are looking for and he was ran out of Cobh as well

Another poor soul for the virgins. :P

Very true. No 'vocations' issue for churches with married clergy.

I think Maynooth had 7 or 8 this year, not 25.

The "no marriage rule" in the Catholic Church is there for one reason only. That reason is MONEY. Think about it. What ever allowance a priest is entitled to would have to be doubled or trebled if he had a (official) family. ;) Result Less For Rome.

Sure they may as well close the doors at that rate.

The Church here have a serious problem developing in the next ten years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

There was a magazine called Crime & Punishment back in the '70s, and it stated that a Pope was buried in Wicklow, Ireland, and gave the full story of his background, exact place of burial, etc but I forget the tale.

DanMurphy wrote: »
    There was a magazine called Crime & Punishment back in the '70s, and it stated that a Pope was buried in Wicklow, Ireland, and gave the full story of his background, exact place of burial, etc but I forget the tale.

But we could make up a good song about it surely

21/25

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Simple. Ireland just did not have enough political clout in the Vatican for an Irish pope to even be considered. We may have been an unbelievably devout country in the past, but the Vatican just threw us scraps. It's all about power, control and influence and very little to do with love and empathy.

Given the way the church has nosedived in Ireland and continues to do so, I don't see an Irish Pope any time soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To add insult to injury Pope Adrian IV was English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There was an Irish man elected as pope but he stood down after two days.

http://www.irishtimes.com/the-laois-man-who-was-elected-pope-1.1320246

• Advertisement
Advertisement