Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon Season '17

Options
  • 24-12-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Only a few days left now until New years and the opening of the Drowes and the Liffey. Anyone got any trips planned? Might head down to the Liffey on the first myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Not going anywhere till March or april, In my eyes I dont think it's worth going all the way up to the drowes etc! still if I could I would ;);) I think the first salmon will be caught around late January! Lough currane produced the first fish of the season last year.. the drowes first fish was in early February.. What method are going to be fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

They are all spate rivers by me and summers salmon. I've promised myself a very early day out on currane for years but never get around to it. We haven't had many frost's / cold weather so the first salmon could come relatively early.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

Not going anywhere till March or april, In my eyes I dont think it's worth going all the way up to the drowes etc! still if I could I would ;);) I think the first salmon will be caught around late January! Lough currane produced the first fish of the season last year.. the drowes first fish was in early February.. What method are going to be fishing?

I'm going to be fishing with the fly but I'll bring a handful of spinners with me just in case. Usually I'd expect the first fish to be caught towards the end of January but with the dose of rain we had over the weekend and the moderate temperatures as seafields said, you never know, we might have a couple early visitors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Where can you buy a license for the Liffey?

Thanks

Where can you buy a license for the Liffey?

Thanks
    Firstly you need your state salmon and sea trout license, then you need a membership to the Dublin salmon anglers if you're going to islandbridge. Both can be bought in Rory's in town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Thanks I never could find somewhere to get one for trout!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Taking a step back this year from salmon fishing

The amount of time I put in the last few years for the amount of fish is not worth it especially the first few months

I think I'll wait until April onwards when the fish reach the upper blackwater I do well up there

Did the drowes and currane early season and have yet to catch a fish in February so won't waste my time anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I was going to post this in the Wexford forum but it might be better here.

All angling is banned on the Slaney this year.

https://www.southeastradio.ie/2017/01/fishing-ban-in-river-slaney-from-january-1st/
    The river Slaney is to close for all types of fishing in 2017

The enforcement order came into operation yesterday under the governments fisheries management policy

Its being implemented to replenish and conserve fish stocks in the river

zerks wrote: »
    I was going to post this in the Wexford forum but it might be better here.

All angling is banned on the Slaney this year.

https://www.southeastradio.ie/2017/01/fishing-ban-in-river-slaney-from-january-1st/
    The river Slaney is to close for all types of fishing in 2017

The enforcement order came into operation yesterday under the governments fisheries management policy

Its being implemented to replenish and conserve fish stocks in the river

Is it for definite? Even after the appeal?
    Many anglers I spoke too werent too happy about it closing, apparently there is a lot of poaching and without an angling presence the poachers would have a field day.
    Doesn't really affect me as I never fished it and don't have an intense need to, but I know its where a lot of the Dublin lads would go for their salmon and sea trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Is it for definite? Even after the appeal?
    Many anglers I spoke too werent too happy about it closing, apparently there is a lot of poaching and without an angling presence the poachers would have a field day.
    Doesn't really affect me as I never fished it and don't have an intense need to, but I know its where a lot of the Dublin lads would go for their salmon and sea trout.

Its closed for salmon fishing. The river will be open for brown trout and as far as I'm aware seatrout under 40 cm will be allowed.

• Advertisement

Such a stupid decision open to poaching now... still open for sea trout under 40cm

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sixgun

Has the first Salmon of 2017 been caught yet?

sixgun wrote: »
    Has the first Salmon of 2017 been caught yet?

As far as I know none showed up yet. The cold we're having at the moment probably won't help much either😀

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

The first salmon of the season was caught on the river blackwater in careysville on the open day

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    The first salmon of the season was caught on the river blackwater in careysville on the open day

Was this ever verified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Was this ever verified?

It was verified by IFI on 3rd February. It was caught on 1st February.

Knew it would be a long wait, pity what has happened to salmon angling and we will be seeing more of this in the future if nothing has been done.. I think hatcheries are the way forward in my opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Knew it would be a long wait, pity what has happened to salmon angling and we will be seeing more of this in the future if nothing has been done.. I think hatcheries are the way forward in my opinion..

Would hatcheries not cause their own range of issues? Crossbreeding and loosing the native genetic stock.. I dont know too much about then to be honest

Would hatcheries not cause their own range of issues? Crossbreeding and loosing the native genetic stock.. I dont know too much about then to be honest

Yes that is a problem but a lot of the English rivers that weren't doing so well used hatcheries there's problems with hatcheries as said.. here's a link to read http://www.wyeuskfoundation.org/issues/hatcheries.php but something has to happen as if we don't then it'll terrible, personally I don't mind taking salmon for the pot but it's people that won't log into there log books.. poaching of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

But couldn't we just use existing stock from local rivers in the hatcheries, where broodstock are just stripped and the fingerlings are then reared in tanks until they are mature enough to be released into the river. Surely this is an efficient way that could work. Be interesting if they tried it.

Our current approach however, seems to be just do nothing and blame everything else under the sun.

• Advertisement

slaneylad wrote: »
    But couldn't we just use existing stock from local rivers in the hatcheries, where broodstock are just stripped and the fingerlings are then reared in tanks until they are mature enough to be released into the river. Surely this is an efficient way that could work. Be interesting if they tried it.

Our current approach however, seems to be just do nothing and blame everything else under the sun.

Something like that slaneylad would be good but there not doing much at all, it's good to see there improving the quality of spawning streams but that isn't going to do much if there isn't much salmon spawning! And closing rivers down like the slaney (salmon)for example is stupid wide open to poachers.. also there's super trawlers outside our seas f#cking up everything and not a word to them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There's a very impressive hatchery on the waterville system. I was given a tour of it one day. Trout are used from the system to provide the hatchery stock. Was great to see it in action.

Advertisement