Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Brennan 5k 1.1.17@12pm

Options
  • 24-12-2016 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭

Great race & nice way to start a New Year off and work off some of the excesses of the festive period. Flat, fast route if your in good condition to race, who else is in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Good luck to you! think I'll stick to my double parkrun plan though :) I'll eventually get to run this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

tang1 wrote: »
    Great race & nice way to start a New Year off and work off some of the excesses of the festive period. Flat, fast route if your in good condition to race, who else is in?

Used to do this race most new years for years, going back to when it was a 4 miler and called sth else (De loughrey), tempted for sure, was thinking of Shanganagh, hmmm decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'm in. PB and a sub 20 to start the year please!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Is this a fast course - PB potential?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Is this a fast course - PB potential?

Fast, flat with PB potential yes. Decent field to to drag few extra seconds out of you. It's the triangle of Furze Rd, Ordanance Survey Rd and Chesterfield Ave twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Looks like I have my pace setter WW!
    I'm in. PB and a sub 20 to start the year please!

Looks like I have my pace setter WW!

Planning on doing this as part of a session @10mile pace which is 6.24 min mile pace which would be 19.55 for 5k. Be more than happy to be a pace maker for anyone, shaved head in a blue Ballyroan 10 mile tshirt is me.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Is it a PB-friendly course? Yes, but.

Alas I'm usually nursing a hangover, SARS, Asian Bird Flu, Bubonic Plague etc at this time of year, so have never done much more than get around it. (This year I won't even make the start line: calf strain, sob, sniff etc).

Here's the 2016 elevation readout from my Garmin. I gather that it's this triangle again this year:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1011696939

That green 'flatline' in the data isn't HRM output of me after keeling over! It's an actual elevation - barely perceptible. (For those being particularly unkind re the finish times, no I didn't walk around).

Do watch out for breeze/wind-effect on Chesterfield Avenue. Although it's tree-lined it can occasionally become a 'wind tunnel' of sorts. If you're sober (or not too badly hungover) on Sunday morning then it should be an opportunity to clock a decent time. If you've been sensible over the Christmas/New Year festive period then this is a great opportunity to hit PB territory, notwithstanding the 9 sharp bends. (Look at it another way: if you were on a pancake-flat/regulation-size-elevation running track you'd have c.50 bends to negotiate).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Is it a PB-friendly course? Yes, but.

Alas I'm usually nursing a hangover, SARS, Asian Bird Flu, Bubonic Plague etc at this time of year, so have never done much more than get around it. (This year I won't even make the start line: calf strain, sob, sniff etc).

Here's the 2016 elevation readout from my Garmin. I gather that it's this triangle again this year:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1011696939

That green 'flatline' in the data isn't HRM output of me after keeling over! It's an actual elevation - barely perceptible. (For those being particularly unkind re the finish times, no I didn't walk around).

Do watch out for breeze/wind-effect on Chesterfield Avenue. Although it's tree-lined it can occasionally become a 'wind tunnel' of sorts. If you're sober (or not too badly hungover) on Sunday morning then it should be an opportunity to clock a decent time. If you've been sensible over the Christmas/New Year festive period then this is a great opportunity to hit PB territory, notwithstanding the 9 sharp bends. (Look at it another way: if you were on a pancake-flat/regulation-size-elevation running track you'd have c.50 bends to negotiate).

Hope you're right about the PB. At the risk of sounding pedantic, I might point out that there are actually 6 bends to negotiate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Just entered this. Not sure about PB shape but will be entering new age category that day!! Definitely getting old!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

spotted tang1 ,but couldn't quite keep up with him to break 20,

maybe the cold morning was my excuse...

good race event.

though sharp bend caused a problem just behind me where partially sighted runners guide took a tumble,hope both were ok...

charkee wrote: »
    spotted tang1 ,but couldn't quite keep up with him to break 20,

maybe the cold morning was my excuse...

good race event.

though sharp bend caused a problem just behind me where partially sighted runners guide took a tumble,hope both were ok...

The two times up Ordanance Survey were tough going alright, great event as always & nice way to start 2017!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

sunny & dry but cold & windy especially on Ordinance Survey rd.

They could have put cones on the sharp bend to ease it for people, like at the turn for Furze Rd. I was hanging on coming up Chesterfield ave and was dismayed to see we had to go round the outside of the cones. But i manage to hang on...just. Lovely morning for the run. I wasn't feeling the best with a dodgy stomach but definitely was feeling better by the time i got home!! 2 second PB...Every second Counts!!!:D

Great to meet old and a few new Boardsies too!!!

Advertisement