Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 - The Year the Music Died?

• 24-12-2016 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭

Every year celebrated musicians die, but it seems like a lot more have died in one single year (2016) than in any other year since the advent of rock and roll and pop music and rock music.

Am I being taken in by the sensationalist headlines or is there an element of truth in the supposition?

The latest to join this gloomy list is Rick Parfitt, who left Status Quo this year after nearly 50 years with them (the blondie haired guy). He died in hospital in Spain today.

The 2016 list includes:

David Bowie

Glen Frey, founding and longstanding member of The Eagles (along with Don Henley) and also solo singer

Prince

Merle Haggard, celebrated country singer

Leonard Cohen

Maurice White, founding member and former singer with Earth Wind & Fire

George Martin, producer of The Beatles' albums and trained musician - often played piano on their songs

Paul Kantner, guitarist with Jefferson Airplane ('60s and '70s) and Jefferson Starship (80s)

Keith Emerson, keyboardist with The Nice and Emerson Lake and Palmer

Greg Lake, bassist and singer with King Crimson (founding member) and Emerson Lake and Palmer - he died this month when his solo hit I Believe in Father Christmas often gets a play.

Leon Russell, sought after session guitarist and solo artist

Craig Gill, drummer with The Inspiral Carpets - popular in the 1990s

Bobby Vee, popular pop singer in the 1960s, e.g. The Night has a Thousand Eyes

Pete Burns, singer with '80s pop band Dead or Alive - big hit: You Spin Me Round (like a Record)

Bernie Worrell, keyboardist with influential funk outfit Parliament-Funkadelic

Black (real name Colin Vearncombe) - couple of hits in the '80s, biggest being Wonderful Life

I tried not to be too obscure. I believe that all the names mentioned above had a major significance in the music world.

So, what do you think? Was it a particularly bad year for significant musical casualties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's only gonna get worse in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Rick Parfitt now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Jimmy Bain and Robbie Brennan. Frank Murray.

Suas11 wrote: »

That's a sobering thought. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Of those mentioned only Bowie, Prince and Leonard Cohen could be considered household names.

The rest may have made an impact but I wouldn't class any of them as musical icons or greats.

Fact is we're just more aware of people dying now, we have access to more news and when someone does dies it's shared/retweeted for days after.

If you were to go through the last twenty years I doubt 2016 would be any worse or better for musicians dying than any other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The problem is they aren't being replaced by worthy successors. Sorry to hear Rick Parfitt has died today.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The way people in their 70s and 80s keep dying is just shocking. Here's hoping the situation improves in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Of those mentioned only Bowie, Prince and Leonard Cohen could be considered household names.

The rest may have made an impact but I wouldn't class any of them as musical icons or greats.

Fact is we're just more aware of people dying now, we have access to more news and when someone does dies it's shared/retweeted for days after.

If you were to go through the last twenty years I doubt 2016 would be any worse or better for musicians dying than any other.

Holy Guacamole
    have to disagree Rick Parfitt of Status quo after a 50 year career would be know in a lot of households ... he will never be classed as a musical icon but him and the quo introduced a hell of a lot of people to Real rock n roll and onto Hard rock / Metal a legend in my eyes and the live Aid concert which they opended and stole the show until a Certain Freddie mercury and Queen appeared ..... keep on rocking rick_28.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

You have got to be taking the piss....

Rick ****ing Parfitt, of Status ****ing Quo, not a "household name"
    Not a man who had a hand in the evolution of rock n roll?!

I'd advise you to rethink your opinion! Many people never had a ****ing notion Prince played guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Saipanne wrote: »
    The way people in their 70s and 80s keep dying is just shocking. Here's hoping the situation improves in 2017.

the saddest thing is...there's no one else coming up to take their place, lets face it the creative/innovative generation are dieing out

• Advertisement

.....and still not finished with 16.

R.I.P George Michael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There is undoubtedly something in what you say about people being more aware of deaths these days, and I did say at the outset that people die every year. However, I would argue that there was a lot of big casualties in 2016 besides the three "household names" above. For example, Glen Frey was one of the voices of the Eagles and he had a number of solo hits, including The Heat is On and Smugglers Blues. Rick Parfitt has been mentioned by quite a few on this thread. Maurice White was the main lead vocalist of Earth Wind & Fire when they were having all their hits. And, as another poster just said, George Michael has passed away now as well. He certainly is a household name.

fryup wrote: »
    the saddest thing is...there's no one else coming up to take their place, lets face it the creative/innovative generation are dieing out

There's just as much great music out there as there ever was.

There's just as much great music out there as there ever was.

Ha....

Yeah.....

Because Ed Sheeran, One Direction and Taylor Swift are all going to be remembered and listened to, in 10/20/30/40 years time, just like Queen, Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Status Quo, U2, The Beatles, Rolling Stones all were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Ha....

Yeah.....

Because Ed Sheeran, One Direction and Taylor Swift are all going to be remembered and listened to, in 10/20/30/40 years time, just like Queen, Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Status Quo, U2, The Beatles, Rolling Stones all were

Yeah because there was no cheesy crap in the 60s/70s/80s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Listening to George Michael back catalogue on Google play music- quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Ha....

Yeah.....

You obviously don't listen to much music if all you can come up with is Ed Sheeran, One Direction and Taylor Swift. The truth is we don't know who will be remembered in 10 - 40 years time, because music and time work in mysterious and unpredictable ways.

Ha....

Yeah.....

You do realise there's more to modern music than those that you've mentioned?

You obviously don't listen to much music if all you can come up with is Ed Sheeran, One Direction and Taylor Swift. The truth is we don't know who will be remembered in 10 - 40 years time, because music and time work in mysterious and unpredictable ways.

Nah. I'm just a musician of 15 years, who plays 6 different instruments, gigs with several other genres of bands so you're right, I haven't got a clue about music and don't listen to anything...

"You obviously don't listen...."
    I'd learn that valuable lesson to not assume things

You do realise there's more to modern music than those that you've mentioned?

U2 are STILL the biggest and best band in the world. That's after them even slowing down and putting out 2 out of 3 average albums, without even trying.

What does that say about modern music? In the 80s and the 90s, they had to fight to be the biggest and they had to fight to stay there. Now, no one is even pushing them ffs. Not even Coldplay.

I know there's much more to modern music. I've followed and listen to Franz Ferdinand, Noel Gallagher, Deadmau5, U2, The Killers, The Courteneers, even the Stone Roses' latest I had a keen interest on to see what they could come up with....

But, for every Chasing Yesterday and Songs of Innocence, there's Beyoncé shaking her arse or Ed Sheeran rapping to little teenage girls or Rappers talking ****e or TV shows assembling manufactured crap and shoving it down people's throats.

There's next to nothing to get excited about anymore in the music world. Sure, I go and see good young bands, with their own material and it is exciting when you hear something that could actually be a hit....But, the bubble bursts when you know they'll never get that chance.

But yeah, lots more to modern music....Rhianna will be coming out with an album about foreplay next. Can't wait :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nah. I'm just a musician of 15 years, who plays 6 different instruments, gigs with several other genres of bands so you're right, I haven't got a clue about music and don't listen to anything...

List your favourite 20 albums of 2016.

List your favourite 20 albums of 2016.

20 favourite albums?!

What are you, 13 years of age?

Ha, you want me to say The life of Pablo, A moon shaped pool or A seat at the table or some ****e?

Come back to me when you've actually got something worth expressing.

What's your "20 fave albums" of 2016 then? :D Can't wait to hear this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

You picked the 3 most commercial, overplayed pop acts on the planet to define this generation of music.

If they were all you could come up with then that other poster was well within their rights to assume you don't listen to much music, but they were not all you could come up with. You just used them to back up your hyperbolic statement.

Saying you're a musician doesn't give you any more sway either. Ed Sheeran is a musician...

You picked the 3 most commercial, overplayed pop acts on the planet to define this generation of music.

If they were all you could come up with then that other poster was well within their rights to assume you don't listen to much music, but they were not all you could come up with. You just used them to back up your hyperbolic statement.

Saying you're a musician doesn't give you any more sway either. Ed Sheeran is a musician...

Hahahaha so what exactly, am I supposed to not mention ABBA, Quo, Queen, Zeppelin, The Stones, Rory etc when I'm asked to define the 70s or pop music at that time, because they were commercial? Nonsense argument there, chief.

I could have said The Raveonettes, Wet, Anna Savage, All Twins, Morrissey and Marshall etc but, the chances of anyone hearing of them on here are slim to none.

And it does actually. It means I've listened to, played and seen more than the vast majority of others. I'm out there, night after night, doing that. I'm not listening to the radio at home. And Ed Sheeran is ****e. The only people who don't know that are teenage girls and single women in their 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The year the music died OR the year that some high profile musicians died? Two very different topics in my opinion.

Sure it's been a bad year with Bowie, Cohen, Prince et all. In fairness though that's just life. People get old, people get sick, some people lead lifestyles that ultimately lead them to earlier deaths. As others have pointed out news is shard in a way that it was never done before. Different culture.

Regarding the actual music I don't seem to share some people's optimism. The XFactor generation has killed music. My wife listens to music stations when she drives - I've not heard one song on those stations that wouldve encouraged me as a 13 year old to go and pick up a guitar. Just watched the Oasis documentary last night (brilliant btw) and Noel sumed it up. 20 years ago the biggest band in the world were 5 guys from.a council estate in Manchester. Nowadays it's the winners of a tv show.

The year the music died OR the year that some high profile musicians died? Two very different topics in my opinion.

Sure it's been a bad year with Bowie, Cohen, Prince et all. In fairness though that's just life. People get old, people get sick, some people lead lifestyles that ultimately lead them to earlier deaths. As others have pointed out news is shard in a way that it was never done before. Different culture.

Regarding the actual music I don't seem to share some people's optimism. The XFactor generation has killed music. My wife listens to music stations when she drives - I've not heard one song on those stations that wouldve encouraged me as a 13 year old to go and pick up a guitar. Just watched the Oasis documentary last night (brilliant btw) and Noel sumed it up. 20 years ago the biggest band in the world were 5 guys from.a council estate in Manchester. Nowadays it's the winners of a tv show.

Mr Edge knows the score

20 favourite albums?!

What are you, 13 years of age?

Ha, you want me to say The life of Pablo, A moon shaped pool or A seat at the table or some ****e?

Come back to me when you've actually got something worth expressing.

What's your "20 fave albums" of 2016 then? :D Can't wait to hear this
    Unless you can prove to us that you are actively searching for recent music on your own terms will I start to take you seriously and give you something worth expressing. Until then I can't help but see you as another middle-aged man going "waaa waaaaa, there's no bands like Led Zeppelin anymore."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭batistuta9

But what would Mr Edge's father have thought in 94 when he overheard his son listening to Definitely Maybe on cassette?

Unless you can prove to us that you are actively searching for recent music on your own terms will I start to take you seriously and give you something worth expressing. Until then I can't help but see you as another middle-aged man going "waaa waaaaa, there's no bands like Led Zeppelin anymore."

I've got absolutely nothing to prove to you ffs :D State of you

28 is not middle aged and I don't like Zeppelin....I told you, learn your lesson and don't assume. Then again, you are 13 years of age so it's understandable

I see you as the sort of person who says he hates U2 and hates their music but, throws a bitch fit and cries when he doesn't get tickets to go and see them play :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    But what would Mr Edge's father have thought in 94 when he overheard his son listening to Definitely Maybe on cassette?

"Jesus, they sound a lot like Slade, T-Rex and Quo"

Advertisement