Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The end of cyanogen

• 24-12-2016 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

Cyanogen os as we know it will cease from 31st december. Apart from any developers who wish to personally work on cyanogenmod they can still do so, but there won't be any more development on Cyanogen os.

Sad news really . I think the spat with oneplus contributed to it's downfall. Shame really.

http://m.gsmarena.com/cyanogen_services_shutting_down_on_december_31-news-22356.php

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

How will this effect the One Plus 3T which i understand runs the CyanogenMod 14.1 ROM which supports Android 7. Who will update the rom when Android get's updated ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Pretty sure oneplus runs oxygen OS on their handsets..

Right you are. Don't know why I thought it ran CMOD13. Doh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That was a short lived company. I'm pretty sure OnePlus were their first customer. That is CyanogenOS not to be confused with CyanogenMod which is where they started off and decided to start a new company as they were(well community) building different ROM's for a lot of devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Haven't used cyanogen or variations off since I had a HTC Sensation over 6 years ago. Much happier with stock rom with xposed/gravity box on my current device. Some of the device forums on XDA are a mess with loads of pointless/buggy roms. The only people who will really miss this are the really geeky 'developers' who want to lend their names to a rom as if to show they are some kind of developer experts.

• Advertisement

learn_more wrote: »
    Haven't used cyanogen or variations off since I had a HTC Sensation over 6 years ago. Much happier with stock rom with xposed/gravity box on my current device. Some of the device forums on XDA are a mess with loads of pointless/buggy roms. The only people who will really miss this are the really geeky 'developers' who want to lend their names to a rom as if to show they are some kind of developer experts.

This. It's hugely overrated, and somehow even to this day there seems to be this strange thing where people have to flash CM to make their device 'better'.

It served a purpose back when Android was in its infancy, but has become less relevant as stock Android has improved over time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Stock android is a bloated battery hog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

Sometimes you may need to flash a custom ROM after your manufacturer has stopped issuing updates.

Grant it, this was more necessary years when Google apps were part of the Android framework. Since lollipop, Google decoupled its apps from the framework and put them in the play store where they can be regularly updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Stock android is a bloated battery hog

Even if it is, 99% of people want a phone they can plug in and use, not some sort of thing they can do experiments on

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Even if it is, 99% of people want a phone they can plug in and use, not some sort of thing they can do experiments on

I don't experiment, I just plug in and use like 99% of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I realy liked cyanogen on my old oneplus one. More so than oxegen on the opx. Looking at getting a mi5 in a few weeks and will probably have put cyanogen on it, lineage supports the mi5 but ill see first how its received before trying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

jozi wrote: »
    I realy liked cyanogen on my old oneplus one. More so than oxegen on the opx. Looking at getting a mi5 in a few weeks and will probably have put cyanogen on it, lineage supports the mi5 but ill see first how its received before trying it.
    LineageOS is CyanogenMod in all aspects except for the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I get that but what does this mean for current roms, will they just rebrand or is there going to be a transition period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Competition is good,regardless of whether you ever used it or not. It would have been nice to have an alternative to google android if only to keep google honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I do agree there is less need for custom roms these days with near stock android phones on the market, also the likes xposed does not work on the latest iteration of android and may never so there is now less incentive than ever to flash a custom rom. That said, Google have over the years introduced things into their roms that started out on custom ones when they were seen to be popular. It's always good to have choice. The more roms the better.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Advertisement