Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else staying sober for Christmas?

• 24-12-2016 8:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭

Ive been good for the last 6 months as Ive been training but tonight is the first time in ages Ive a bit of a goo. I think if I stop looking at people in the pub on social media though this will go away ;)

Anyone else staying sober for Christmas? And if you are, why?

Anyone else staying sober for Christmas? 149 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 149 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Good god no.I'm locked already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ive been good for the last 6 months as Ive been training but tonight is the first time in ages Ive a bit of a goo. I think if I stop looking at people in the pub on social media though this will go away ;)

Feck no, all the craziness is now over. Kids are finally in bed, Xmas dinner has been eaten, presents have been unpacked, cleanup is done. I can now finally sit and have lots of beer and a few whisky's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Not drinking. Same as last Christmas. Don't indulge in that nasty drug anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

You mad OP? Drink is the only thing that'll keep me sane putting up with the family for a week :pac: :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

Ive added a poll there for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Nope, if Santa's beer is still in the sitting room in the morning the kids will be very upset considering the trouble they went to to select it from my collection, leave the opener and the glass too.

Just waiting for the feckers to go to bloody sleep so I can get down to it before it gets too warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Great thread though.I do like my few beers and a couple of whiskeys.I know when enough is enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Yep.. am pregnant so no boozing for me this Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I got myself a cocktail maker for Christmas...but I drink in moderation.
    I plan on living to be very old and I need my liver.

No drink today or tomorrow, back running after 6 weeks off post hernia op. Up Carrauntoohil on Stephenseses morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

A few glasses of wine, won't overdo it. I can't do hangovers anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

For a lot of families alcohol is sorry poison, personally over the years I've had and seen my fill of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Not tonight I think. I'm dying with the flu the last 3 days and have been pumping myself full of ibuprofen, paracetamol, sudafed, you name it. Stomach is a disaster already.
    Maybe tomorrow if I don't feel too rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Will have a few drinks most days from now up to Jan. 2nd or 3rd. No big booze session, just topping up a little each day, then taper off from 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

You cont tel me what to do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Nothing tonight. Will be driving to my parents' place tomorrow, so nothing until we get back home tomorrow evening.

Got sent a bottle of Japanese whiskey so that will almost certainly be opened tomorrow night.

Apart from that there it literally no other alcohol in the house at the moment (Granted, I did finish off a bottle of port last night).

Considering what country this poll is in I didnt expect it to be so close so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I am! Because of work, I'm sad about it though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Going to stay off it. Don't want to waste valuable time off in groundhog day drinking sessions and hangovers.

Yep but only because I do not drink much anyway so Xmas is not different. As I said on another thread only today - I am the type who can nurse a Red Breast whisky for hours enjoying just the smell of it. I will have a wine with dinner and a champagne with the sorbet course I am doing for dinner. And then nurse a large whisky for a few hours after that into the night. But that's about it.

• Advertisement

Ireland's drinking ways has changed so much! Am still shocked with how close this poll is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Antibiotics. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes, I don't drink anyway. Not for any particular reason, just haven't felt like it in ten years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

6 bottles of kinsale pale ale In the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Tandey

Considering what country this poll is in I didnt expect it to be so close so far.

The internet is worldwide:P and I can't imagine many people that are drinking being on a message board tonight:pac: I am though:eek:

I'm having a few now but voted yes as I am a pure internet rebel:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No, already have the booze for tomorrow ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Don't fall for the Diagio propaganda, there are many many people who don't drink.

No, already have the booze for tomorrow ready to go.

You gonna start early or are you going to wait till the dinner is taken care of?

jca wrote: »
    Don't fall for the Diagio propaganda, there are many many people who don't drink.

I'd be willing to bet that at one stage not too long ago Ireland would have been on any list of "most alcoholics per head of population"

So not all propaganda in my humble opinion.

• Advertisement

Tandey wrote: »
    You gonna start early or are you going to wait till the dinner is taken care of?
    I'll probably wait, it will be more relaxing that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Nope, non drinker here, I'm normally the designated driver :)

Drinking or not drinking enjoy yer Christmas folks with the family, friends or even alone with your pet dog...Stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I'm sat here bored, just cracked some fancy beer I found in the house. I think I'm going to get blotto. Giving everything up in the New Year anyway, just like last year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

working my way through a decent bottle of red. Kids in bed, OH just gone to bed. Might have a couple of whiskeys when I've finished the wine. Maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

johnty56 wrote: »
    Might have a couple of whiskeys when I've finished the wine. Maybe not.

do it do it do it do it do it do it

Chug chug chug chug! Peer pressure peer pressure peer pressure! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

eh.... ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Poll is embarrassing.

Go get pissed you silly people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Yes. I am a judge by profession.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Will be trying to stay off the drink this Christmas, been having a few mental health issues lately that I'm trying to deal with and alcohol is not helping me. When I start to drink I don't know when to stop and get in some awful states. Also my mental health detiorates completely for a few days after. Problem is Ive been away for a while and know I'll have people looking to go out to the pub etc , but I don't feel strong enough to go there and not drink. I don't wanna blow my mates/family mates out at the same time. Getting quite anxious and tense about the whole thing to be honest. Just hoping to get through the next few days. Anyway good luck to anyone else in a similar boat and to the ones who can enjoy a few - enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Yep. It will be five years since I've had a drink this New Year's Day. Some achievement given how much I used to drink :)

Will be trying to stay off the drink this Christmas, been having a few mental health issues lately that I'm trying to deal with and alcohol is not helping me. When I start to drink I don't know when to stop and get in some awful states. Also my mental health detiorates completely for a few days after. Problem is Ive been away for a while and know I'll have people looking to go out to the pub etc , but I don't feel strong enough to go there and not drink. I don't wanna blow my mates/family mates out at the same time. Getting quite anxious and tense about the whole thing to be honest. Just hoping to get through the next few days. Anyway good luck to anyone else in a similar boat and to the ones who can enjoy a few - enjoy it!

Stay strong.

Im sure there'll be some "anyone else bored yet?" type threads here tomottow to help distract you and keep you company.

And if there's not I'll start one! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Another pregnant lady here, so I'll be staying sober :( I haven't done the dog at Christmas in a good while, but I will miss the few glasses of wine. Though I'll prob have a glass of prosecco or wine tomorrow.

ncmc wrote: »
    I haven't done the dog at Christmas in a good while.

ఠ_ఠ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I don't drink anymore so will be sober. However, I'm with the in-laws for Christmas and really not sure how I'm going to get through the next few days sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

It's embarrassing we live in a country where people seem to have to apologise for not doing drugs
    Peace and love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Sober one for me. Off the 'sauce' for a few months now. Hangovers exacerbate my mental health issues and I prefer the feeling of sobriety over the illusion of inebriation. I don't mean that as a dig at drinkers, it's just not where I'm at these days I'm afraid.

i may or may not have a drink or two, but ill be staying sober.

wont be making a deal of it either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

I'm sober for Christmas eve. Does that count?

• Advertisement
Advertisement