Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else staying sober for Christmas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

Any money on the "No"s taking back the lead by 7pm? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I won't be drunk but I'll be drinking! I make a big pot of mulled wine every Christmas Eve and I'm the only one who drinks it so it's all mine!! It'll last me a few days though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Haven't had a drop all day, coming down with a bit of a cold and just couldn't be arsed.

Although my man's husband has a rake of oxy painkillers from an operation and I'm pondering a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

No because I stayed off drink for months now and so I want to indulge a bit. It's Christmas and I wanna treat myself (drink-wise, food-wise, whatever-wise).

Won't be going mad though as I've been off it for a long time now and can appreciate waking up with a clear head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

FTA69 wrote: »
    Although my man's husband has a rake of oxy painkillers from an operation and I'm pondering a few of them.

You're about to take opiates belonging to your man's husband? What a wonderfully degenerate Christmas.

Hasn't been a dry day since Wednesday and hard to see another one until the 2nd or 3rd of Jan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

You're about to take opiates belonging to your man's husband? What a wonderfully degenerate Christmas.

Must be another one of these 3 way relationships that are growing in popularity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

They're from a few years back. I'd a blast of them last year and watched True Grit, I don't remember anything but I do remember it was the most fun I had watching a film in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭2forjoy

opening a bottler of Muldoons whiskey now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

They're from a few years back. I'd a blast of them last year and watched True Grit, I don't remember anything but I do remember it was the most fun I had watching a film in years.

Oxycontin is a dangerous drug, similar to heroin. I'd love some right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Will be trying to stay off the drink this Christmas, been having a few mental health issues lately that I'm trying to deal with and alcohol is not helping me. When I start to drink I don't know when to stop and get in some awful states. Also my mental health detiorates completely for a few days after. Problem is Ive been away for a while and know I'll have people looking to go out to the pub etc , but I don't feel strong enough to go there and not drink. I don't wanna blow my mates/family mates out at the same time. Getting quite anxious and tense about the whole thing to be honest. Just hoping to get through the next few days. Anyway good luck to anyone else in a similar boat and to the ones who can enjoy a few - enjoy it!

Tell them you're feeling under the weather/on antibiotics? Alcohol's a depressant so you're dead right to steer clear when you're feeling bad already.

OP I went off drink all of a sudden and feel queasy even thinking about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

no never drink at home. no drink drank in our house ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Can't imagine everyone posting yes to sober won't touch a drop at all. That would include alcohol in food and desserts. Seriously 60% now!
    Hmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Dinner and dessert too big. Can't fit in any booze!
    I guess there is always tomorrow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

Sober Christmas period and the best one yet. I fail to see the value added by drink or drugs these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No booze here. Would love a pint but if I bring any alcohol into the house it'll all end in disaster.

Haven't had a drop all day, coming down with a bit of a cold and just couldn't be arsed.

How many mgs do you plan to take?

Low mgs will make you euphoric and energetic which will definitely not help in your recovery and higher doses will make you feel wrapped up, so why not get inti bed and actually wrap up?

Can't imagine everyone posting yes to sober won't touch a drop at all. That would include alcohol in food and desserts. Seriously 60% now!
    Hmmmmm

Alcohol in food hardly counts. Isn't most of the alcohol burned off in the cooking?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Alcohol in food hardly counts. Isn't most of the alcohol burned off in the cooking?

Yep, 'tis only the taste that remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I had one glass of wine but that was all. A few people needed lifts home etc so I said would drive. Not much of a drinker anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

For lack of an alternative I drank for the first time in ages and beginning to really wish I hadn't.

Guess it's never really sat well with me though and right now am really considering being completely done with it.

There are many many more effective, safer and healthier ways to alter your state of consciousness, and without the joys of a hangover.
    I've just really gotten sick and tired of accepting this poor excuse of a drug as the go to.

Dunno how some people can hack it every weekend to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Went on the tear on the 23rd and will do again tomorrow (Stephen's) night. Another night out for New Years and that's the festive threesome done and dusted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i drink plenty at weekends and out over xmas, i just never drink at home ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Tell them you're feeling under the weather/on antibiotics? Alcohol's a depressant so you're dead right to steer clear when you're feeling bad already.

OP I went off drink all of a sudden and feel queasy even thinking about it now.

Alcohol a depressant?

Come on man it's clearly the opposite:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I never drink on Christmas day. Stephens night I go "for a few"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Alcohol a depressant?

Come on man it's clearly the opposite:)

It is classed as a depressant, meaning that it slows down vital functions—resulting in slurred speech, unsteady movement, disturbed perceptions and an inability to react quickly.

As for how it affects the mind, it is best understood as a drug that reduces a person’s ability to think rationally and distorts his or her judgment.

Although classified as a depressant, the amount of alcohol consumed determines the type of effect. Most people drink for the stimulant effect, such as a beer or glass of wine taken to “loosen up.” But if a person consumes more than the body can handle, they then experience alcohol’s depressant effect. They start to feel “stupid” or lose coordination and control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Staying in tonight. Nice change

This poll = a new Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The only reason I'm staying sober is last st Stephens night was way too messy crowded and unenjoyable, and also this year I got so drunk one night in August it's put the fear of God in me ever since. It has nothing to do with the drink problem the country has

• Advertisement

Sober means exactly that. No alcohol at all. Alcolol in food is still alcolol. Any ingestion of booze simply is not sobriety.

Sober means exactly that. No alcohol at all. Alcolol in food is still alcolol. Any ingestion of booze simply is not sobriety.

That's not true. To be sober is not to be drunk unless you want to subscribe to extremely rigid definitions in areas like AA circles, which say that an allergy to any amount of alcohol exists and should be avoided. If we are to believe your definition, then anyone who has Listerine with alcohol is not sober and I'm sure people maintain a sharpness of mind after having an auld rinse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Had 2 long neck bulmers on Christmas eve but that's it now till probably March I'd say. Not a big drinker since I hit my late 20s and can't say I miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think that would be a very strict interpretation of the word.

A nice Coq au vin or a drop of baileys in whipped cream would hardly break your pledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I had a baileys coffee yesterday and the day before. Tonight I'll have a large glass of wine with my stephenseseses day cheese board. I'm way too afraid of the hangover to have any more than that for now.

That's not true. To be sober is not to be drunk unless you want to subscribe to extremely rigid definitions in areas like AA circles, which say that an allergy to any amount of alcohol exists and should be avoided. If we are to believe your definition, then anyone who has Listerine with alcohol is not sober and I'm sure people maintain a sharpness of mind after having an auld rinse.

Fair enough agree to disagree. AA I respect and AA and is never to be brought into public controvesy so cant help you there pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

None for me this year but that is only because I have one hell of a bloody awful flu.

I don't think the poll is very representative of the reality. I don't know anyone (bar the very odd person who doesnt drink at all) that isn't drinking away over Christmas. Anyway I always take it easy Christmas Day so only had around 7 or 8 cans, a few glasses of persecco and a large whiskey. The run up to Christmas and from tonight till New Year's Day was/will be a different story, there will be a lot of drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Anyway I always take it easy Christmas Day so only had around 7 or 8 cans, a few glasses of persecco and a large whiskey. The run up to Christmas and from tonight till New Year's Day was/will be a different story, there will be a lot of drinking.

You have a problem if that's taking it easy.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You have a problem if that's taking it easy.

It's nothing really over a day and with all the food. Wouldn't even be tipsy going to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I had a glass of wine on Christmas Eve, a glass of prosecco yesterday and I may have a pint later with dinner.
    Well, and about 4 or 5 cherry liqueur chocolates.

I love christmas for the food, not the drink. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It's nothing really over a day and with all the food. Wouldn't even be tipsy going to bed.

I'm afraid to ask! What is "a lot of drinking"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Nothing on 24th, a decent measure of whiskey last night after the kids were in bed.

I had planned to have a drink only every second night, so tonight should be an alcohol-free night, but I do feel like a beer alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Patww79 wrote: »

50% of people are lying, wow!
    What would you base your suspicion on. Have you done some research into it ?

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm afraid to ask! What is "a lot of drinking"?

Its not just about amount but also the time it's drank in. 8 cans over a day vs 8 cans in 3 hours etc so it's not so black and white to define.

If I drank 16 cans plus sprints in the same amount of time as yesterday (as I have in the past) I'd say it was a good amount of drinking.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

On a forum where 99.9% of people dont use their real names, why would they just say that?

Dont believe it for a second.

On a forum where 99.9% of people dont use their real names, why would they just say that?

Dont believe it for a second.

Say train is right. People lie all the time on forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Say train is right. People lie all the time on forums.

True, but logic dictates that 50% of those saying they won't stay sober are also lying, then. So it should even out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Yes but not by choice. Was very sick just before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yes as I'm breastfeeding. (I could pump and dump I suppose but it's a lot of hassle seeing as I'm not a big drinker anyway).

• Advertisement
Advertisement