Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headwear for Chemo patients

• 24-12-2016 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have just started chemotherapy and will lose my hair as a result so I need to get some head wear to wear at home during the day and at night in bed.

I'm looking for some suggestions on where would be good places to order from online?

There is nowhere near me that sells them and I am unable to travel to try them on etc so online is my only option.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks,

Merry Christmas :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi Stripes, sorry to hear you will be going through chemo.
    I researched hats and headscarves when my mum was diagnosed with cancer but as it turned out she got away with only having radiotherapy and so didn't lose her hair. I found a lady in Athlone who makes turbans and scarves etc from soft stretch cotton - I think it's important for anything you wear to be made from a very soft, light and flexible, seamless natural material, so if you like the style of any of these they might be the way forward http://www.headwear.ie/ladies/fitted-bands.html. The fitted bands in particular look comfortable and are available in good, wearable colours.
    Best of luck with everything and hopefully someone will be along with first-hand advice for you soon.
    Happy Christmas and all the best for 2017 x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi Stripes, sorry to hear you will be going through chemo.
    I researched hats and headscarves when my mum was diagnosed with cancer but as it turned out she got away with only having radiotherapy and so didn't lose her hair. I found a lady in Athlone who makes turbans and scarves etc from soft stretch cotton - I think it's important for anything you wear to be made from a very soft, light and flexible, seamless natural material, so if you like the style of any of these they might be the way forward http://www.headwear.ie/ladies/fitted-bands.html. The fitted bands in particular look comfortable and are available in good, wearable colours.
    Best of luck with everything and hopefully someone will be along with first-hand advice for you soon.
    Happy Christmas and all the best for 2017 x

My mam also went to this lady. She wore the turbans and hats at night and around the house as they kept her head warm and she found them very comfortable. She has lots of stylish options to choose from and was very understanding as we took our time picking a few.
    I hope you are feeling well and can get some enjoyment from Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thank you both so much for your well wishes and the information you've given me, I'll contact her and make an appointment and hopefully see her soon :)

What are her prices like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Andre43

Hi, sorry to hear about the chemo. If you have a medical card that will cover €650 per year for the wig via the HSE. As to the general cost of them im not to sure

Andre43 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to hear about the chemo. If you have a medical card that will cover €650 per year for the wig via the HSE. As to the general cost of them im not to sure
    Hi, the HSE cover €500 towards the wig per year, my wig is a bit more than that, most wigs start around €1,000 I think.

More expensive than I thought, but worth every penny if it makes a hard time a bit more bearable, which for me, it will.

Thanks for your helpful post, I appreciate you taking the time to reply :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The turbans, hats and scarves all seem to be 30 euro each. The night caps are 20. The website is pretty poor but there's a phone number, might be easiest way to get your info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Hi Boxer,

I am not really able to offer you additional advice to the excellent advice above, I just wanted to send you my heartfelt best wishes.

I know when my mother was going for treatment I found the Irish Cancer Society a wealth of knowledge for information and advice.

Wishing you a speedy recovery
    Mia

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sorry to hear about this, SB.

John Lewis sell lovely soft cotton turbans. You may be able to order them online using parcel motel, and I'll also be happy to send some over if you'd like. Feel free to PM me.

Boots may also have similar.

Faith wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about this, SB.

John Lewis sell lovely soft cotton turbans. You may be able to order them online using parcel motel, and I'll also be happy to send some over if you'd like. Feel free to PM me.

Boots may also have similar.
    Thank you so much Faith, I'll have a look at their website and see what I can find, thank you so much for your offer of help, I greatly appreciate it and will definitely take you up on it if I can't get anywhere with their website.

I'll check Boots as well, my local one doesn't have anything but their website might have something. I hadn't thought of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thank you so much Faith, I'll have a look at their website and see what I can find, thank you so much for your offer of help, I greatly appreciate it and will definitely take you up on it if I can't get anywhere with their website.

I'll check Boots as well, my local one doesn't have anything but their website might have something. I hadn't thought of that.

A couple of links, in case they're any use :)

https://m.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-supersoft-cosy-hair-turban/p/1463476#

http://ie.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-towelling-turban/p123774

http://www.boots.ie/en/Beauty/Accessories/Bath-Shower-Accessories/Hair-Turbans-Headbands/

• Advertisement
Advertisement