Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bottled Guinness: The Great Lie.

• 25-12-2016 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭

Had to check the label after two. Brewed in Northern Ireland. Bitter sweet? Nope. Just bitter. Sad, sad day and days to come.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Ah you're joshing

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Had to check the label after two. Brewed in Northern Ireland. Bitter sweet? Nope. Just bitter. Sad, sad day and days to come.

Horrific stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Bollix....the bottle factory is on the Quay in waterford....know people working there

(This might be just large bottles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Never a fan of Guinness from a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

bazz26 wrote: »

The Guinness West Indies Porter is real good stuff

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Bollix....the bottle factory is on the Quay in waterford....know people working there

Is that not closed?

Is that not closed?

Not yet afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

This was rhe xmas "XX" small bottles. The normal bottles, (small and large) are as good as they always were. But this muck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

The best way to drink it, has a flavour at least, not like the bland draught swill

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    I know most Irish beer, including the beardo stuff, is bottled in Station Works in Newry. But 'brewed' is a strange one. Especially to go from here to what is basically a third world country industrially.

This says " Boucher Rd, Belfast. ". I dont knoe who brewed it, but it's vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Went on a session on the large bottles of G once, different alright.

I heaved my guts up at the urinals at the end of the night. Was just standing there taking a piss and the next thing vomit exploded out of my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It closed 3 years ago and is now a whiskey distillery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I love a bottle of Guinness and there's a few pubs in Dublin that do it - I'll have it when I'm out when it's available. It's definitely different than the draught stuff.

I'll be down in Waterford over the Christmas break - well known for its "large bottles" of this and other drinks. Looking forward to a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you read on the label that it was brewed in Northern Ireland then how are they lying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I heaved my guts up at the urinals at the end of the night. Was just standing there taking a piss and the next thing vomit exploded out of my mouth.

As Richard Harris said, 'it was the food'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I used to drink bottles of Guinness until they came up with the draught can and the widget. It was like switching from candlelight to electric light. Why would anybody want to keep on using candles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Just when we thought 2016 couldn't get any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Tis a sad day when Irishmen are lamenting over Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

James's Gate is just a front it's actually a nuclear power station

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I love a bottle of Guinness and there's a few pubs in Dublin that do it - I'll have it when I'm out when it's available. It's definitely different than the draught stuff.

I'll be down in Waterford over the Christmas break - well known for its "large bottles" of this and other drinks. Looking forward to a few.

Most pubs have it but it's out of sight. Just ask the barman if ya don't see it. They wouldn't order as much of it in stock but it's usually ordered in for regulars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Norn Iron a third world country?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Off the shelf rather from the cooler every time.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Off the shelf rather from the cooler every time.

Off the floor,temperature between the shelf and the cooler

For your average awkward ould lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You sad b@stard, Guinness drank straight from a bottle doesen't cause a hangover, it will get you drunk faster but no hangover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You sad b@stard, Guinness drank straight from a bottle doesen't cause a hangover, it will get you drunk faster but no hangover.

I'll bet you my house and every penny I have that I could get extremely hungover from bottles of Guinness.

kenmc wrote: »
    The best way to drink it, has a flavour at least, not like the bland draught swill
    I was at a wedding in Molly Darcy's in Killarney around 9 years back, the draught was sh1te and I asked a young fella behind the bar if he had pint bottles of Guinness, he laughed at me and said they are gone out with years, I said to him with the sh1te you are serving over the counter they'd want to bring them back :)

I'll bet you my house and every penny I have that I could get extremely hungover from bottles of Guinness.

You're nothing but a whimp then, when I were a young fellow I could drink pint bottles till I'd drop, which was never. Shower of pussies nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

The pint cans of Guinness are the only way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭2forjoy

could never get a kick out of the bottle of stout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Canning and bottling takes place in East Belfast.

"Brewing" sort of takes place. In reality you would probably call it "finishing" as its sent in concentrate form from Dublin.

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Canning and bottling takes place in East Belfast.

"Brewing" sort of takes place. In reality you would probably call it "finishing" as its sent in concentrate form from Dublin.
    East Belfast...?

Em...

:D

;)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I had bottles of Guinness Foreign Extra and O'Haras Leann Folláin recently and found both were pretty decent.

At the taps Murphy's is ahead of Guinness, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Not sure what the OP was on about though - Guinness was Protestant Black Porter

And the Guinness family started the Orange Order in Dublin

might upset a few into that craic

The Guinness family were always very strong unionists and had a strong association with Dublin since Arthur Guinness started his 9000 year lease at St James Gate in 1759. The money from the Guinness family supported many buildings around Dublin, in particular, the Church of Ireland. Though the Guinness family would keep a low key profile in recent times, this wasn’t always the case.

Arthur was strongly against the 1798 rebellion, so much so, that his renamed his drink ‘Protestant Porter’.

The Guinness family also played a crucial role in the forming of the Orange Order in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This says " Boucher Rd, Belfast. ". I dont knoe who brewed it, but it's vile.

Arlene Foster brewed it herself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The divils buttermilk, according to Ian "dry sh1te" Paisley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

that explains Guinness farts :D
    James's Gate is just a front it's actually a nuclear power station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The pint bottle is grand.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

gctest50 wrote: »
    Not sure what the OP was on about though - Guinness was Protestant Black Porter

And the Guinness family started the Orange Order in Dublin

Amazing what a strong marketing campaign can make the armchair republicans ignore... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Noveight wrote: »
    Amazing what a strong marketing campaign can make the armchair republicans ignore... :pac:

Ah but there is no accounting for genetics ...

Or who Your actual da is ; )

The Guinness family have a little known secret- it would appear that they are descended for the very native (ie Irish) McCartan family originating from the Mourne area of Ulster

See:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7145951.stm
    The book explains that where Arthur's genuine ancestors, the McCartans, once lived is a small village called Guiness or Ginnies.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/guinness-familys-origins-smaller-beer-than-thought-26339150.html

gozunda wrote: »

The Guinness family have a little known secret- it would appear that they are descended for the very native (ie Irish) McCartan family originating from the Mourne area of Ulster

Turncoat beer then

Can't help where you're born like, but then to go off supporting the other side :p

The Guinness family also played a crucial role in the forming of the Orange Order in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Turncoat beer then

Can't help where you're born like, but then to go off supporting the other side :p

They historically treated their staff extremely well. Something a lot of Irish employer s these days could take example from.

Turncoat beer then. Can't help where you're born like, but then to go off supporting the other side :p

Ah selective nationalism - love it ... ;)

If you read between the lines that the Guinnesses could well be actual McCartans of the other side of the blanket type ... perhaps

Of note Arthur Guinnesses family were originally tenant farmers. Arthur inherited £100 pound from a relative and invested it in a brewery lease. He was also a supporter of Henry Gratten (another Protestant!) who advocated for Ireland as an independent nation and who actively campaigned for legislative freedom for the Irish Parliament.

I think you will find that many non Catholics and even some 'turncoats'were heavily involved in 1798 rebellion and also helped pave the way for later Irish Independence.

OnDraught wrote: »
    They historically treated their staff extremely well. Something a lot of Irish employer s these days could take example from.

The company was alleged to have lent men and equipment to the British army to help crush Irish rebels during the Easter Rising of 1916, afterwards firing members of staff whom it believed to have Irish-nationalist sympathies.

The company was alleged to have lent men and equipment to the British army to help crush Irish rebels during the Easter Rising of 1916, afterwards firing members of staff whom it believed to have Irish-nationalist sympathies.

Chrxst on a bike you really have the knife out for the entire Guinness family there :rolleyes:

Who is this 'alledgedly' bloke of whom you speak? Whilst we are speaking of urban legends - I hear they used to also use roast babies as part of the brewing process :eek:

Anyway back to the OPs post. A pint of plain is your only man ... :D
    The Workman's Friend"

When things go wrong and will not come right,
    Though you do the best you can,
    When life looks black as the hour of night -
    A pint of plain is your only man.

When money's tight and hard to get
    And your horse has also ran,
    When all you have is a heap of debt -

When health is bad and your heart feels strange,
    And your face is pale and wan,
    When doctors say you need a change,

When food is scarce and your larder bare
    And no rashers grease your pan,
    When hunger grows as your meals are rare -

In time of trouble and lousey strife,
    You have still got a darlint plan
    You still can turn to a brighter life -

Flann O'Brien

Nothing new or a strange there tbh ..

Guinness has and continues to be brewed and produced in more places than just Dublin
    Three of the five Guinness breweries are in Africa
    Although Guinness is brewed in 49 countries and sold in 150, Guinness itself owns five breweries worldwide, including St. James Gate in Dublin. One is in Malaysia, and the rest are in Africa, specifically in Nigeria, Ghana and Cameroon. In fact, Nigeria and Cameroon are among the top five markets for Guinness in the world.

However, the Guinness variant popular in Ireland, the UK and the U.S. is not the popular one in Africa, where they prefer the Guinness Extra Foreign Stout, a variant with a much higher alcohol content (7.5%) than the draft (around 4.0%).

https://uk.askmen.com/entertainment/special_feature_300/336_guinness-5-things-you-didnt-know.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Who cares?

Opps...

Ok, No more Black Proddie Porter jokes from me.

Bought the Guinness XX six pk today. This time, it was fairly drinkable. Must've read this thread last year...

Still not quite up to the old small bottles, ie, the pint bottles you get in some pubs. Why not just sell that, Mr Arthur Mc Diageo or whatever you calll yerself these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Puked while in mid-piss? Did you not blow your arse out as well? Happened to me once after a heavy session. Standing pissing into the jacks when suddenly I wretched and projectile heaved onto the cistern and simultaneously filled my toggs at the back end as well.

Bad day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement