Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting very fit fast

• 25-12-2016 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know any good programs that will condition the body and get u very fit fast ...i am to to a few events over the next 12 months and would like a good level of fitness..im able to struggle through 10k now but i want something rather than runner ..something that will incorporate the whole body

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Your a day early, have the turkey and ham and the other 4000 Cal and come back Monday ? I'll be with ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

Look into HIIT workouts. There are lots of sample workouts available online. They are short intensive sessions and are good for improving fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Some sort of HIIT or full body circuit training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

Heavy compound lifting and some HIIT sessions too

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Would compound lifting like 5 x5 not slow you down though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Would compound lifting like 5 x5 not slow you down though

No. Not unless you ate in a big surplus to build muscle and get heavier. But muscle doesnt necessarily slow you down either. There's a balance.

I did 5 x5 before but i found it hard to run and train after 3 days of squating during the week ..

I thinking of starting something like insanity again or maybe something more intense to build up a base fitness..

It depends what you want to prepare for. Insanity is just high intensity everything but won't necessarily make you stronger unless you've a low level of strength.

Stronglifts 5x5 might not suit depending on the running you're doing but heavy compounds and getting fitter aren't mutually exclusive. You just need to find something that can work around any running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

OP, you don't need to go to any gym.

Here in Dublin, it's DRY. Walk it off BRISQUELY - not so FAST that's you'll feel exhausted, and not so SLOW that you're sauntering.

Think of the analogy from the fable "The Wings of Icarus"..."don't fly so high that the sun melts your wing wax" (You tire out) or
    don't fly so low that your wings are damp (You just stroll around)

Brisque walk for, 4 hours.

THERE

5rtytry56 wrote: »

Here in Dublin, it's DRY. Walk it off BRISQUELY - not so FAST that's you'll feel exhausted, and not so SLOW that you're sauntering.

Think of the analogy from the fable "The Wings of Icarus"..."don't fly so high that the sun melts your wing wax" (You tire out) or

THERE

That's fine if the events the OP mentioned involve walking briskly for a long time. Less so if its an event, possibly like Tough Mudder, that th OP wants to get fitter for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

THERE

This is really good advice for someone who's gonna ignore actual good advice in favour of an easy life. Otherwise, Greek mythology probably isn't the best path to physical fitness.

As i have said in original post i already have a certain amount of fitness as i run 10k anout twice a week ..i looking for proven methods to greatly improve fitness that entails not just running and cycling ..im doing gael force this year and i want to devote time and energy to trying to get a good time

As i have said in original post i already have a certain amount of fitness as i run 10k anout twice a week ..i looking for proven methods to greatly improve fitness that entails not just running and cycling ..im doing gael force this year and i want to devote time and energy to trying to get a good time

There probably aren't any programs for Gael Force per se. You'll need to improve strength for kayaking. It doesn't need to be Stronglifts but compound lifts are your friend for building the kind of strength you'll want to build for it.

I'd also look at varying the running training you do and make it about more than just straight 10k runs if you're training specifically for Gael Force.

Thinking of starting so good kettlebell routine as well as running and some hiit

That max 30 looks good to

Thinking of starting so good kettlebell routine as well as running and some hiit

You'll need either a heavy krttlebell or a range of them to do much useful.

I have weights 12kg 16kg 20kg and 24kg upstairs so maybe if i got a good routine i will get into them ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

maybe if i got a good routine i will get into them ..
    Now this sentence is the operative for you OP: And stick to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

If I was training for it I would follow a proper running program and supplement it with some strength work, cycling & kayaking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Might be worth popping over to the triathlon/duathlin/adventure racing forum and checking out some threads there. Running off the bike will be important so a mix of all disciplines in your training will help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Does anyone know any good programs that will condition the body and get u very fit fast ...i am to to a few events over the next 12 months and would like a good level of fitness..im able to struggle through 10k now but i want something rather than runner ..something that will incorporate the whole body

Join a boxing club go consistantly for a few months, eat clean. You'll change your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

OP, you don't need to go to any gym Walk it off BRISQUELY

Not sure an activity that takes four hours is a very practical solution for every day or several times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I have weights 12kg 16kg 20kg and 24kg upstairs so maybe if i got a good routine i will get into them ..

I just had a look at the race profile for Gaelforce West and the last thing on my list of priorities would be kettlebells.

There's a **** ton of technical running offroad on muddy, rocky terrain, uphill and down dale. I think I'd be finding a hill nearby and start by running up and down (in my trail running shoe of choice).

The next major component is the bike which looks like it could be quite technical in parts as well. So I'd be making sure I could handle my bike proficiently for good time gains.

A kayak lesson or two would prob be helpful, but considering it's a bit of a lottery who you're lumped in with it's not necessarily going to win the race for you. Be nice to know what you're doing on a sit on top in Killary Harbour if the wind gets up though.

They're the specifics. I'd say getting in a good 12 weeks of structured aerobic base conditioning by running, cycling, swimming and maybe some indoor rowing, would be a solid strategy.

You're never going to 'get very fit fast'. It just doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Speak to your local triathlon club- you might be able to train with them or at the minimum get some advice. If by some fluke you are near Galway you can speak to Galway triathlon club - they train around the city and salthill area and the few members I know are very approachable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Join a boxing club go consistantly for a few months, eat clean. You'll change your life
    so would anything that has you training consistently

I just had a look at the race profile for Gaelforce West and the last thing on my list of priorities would be kettlebells.

There's a **** ton of technical running offroad on muddy, rocky terrain, uphill and down dale. I think I'd be finding a hill nearby and start by running up and down (in my trail running shoe of choice).

The next major component is the bike which looks like it could be quite technical in parts as well. So I'd be making sure I could handle my bike proficiently for good time gains.

A kayak lesson or two would prob be helpful, but considering it's a bit of a lottery who you're lumped in with it's not necessarily going to win the race for you. Be nice to know what you're doing on a sit on top in Killary Harbour if the wind gets up though.

They're the specifics. I'd say getting in a good 12 weeks of structured aerobic base conditioning by running, cycling, swimming and maybe some indoor rowing, would be a solid strategy.

You're never going to 'get very fit fast'. It just doesn't work like that.
    ive two clients doing Gael force and both will be doing all the usual aerobic base stuff combined with plenty of work on the basics e.g. deadlifts, squats, pull ups, push ups, kettlebell swings, core wok, a duck ton of mobility work.

stronger and more mobile muscles will make short work of ANY activity as compared to smaller weaker muscles

Transform wrote: »
    ive two clients doing Gael force and both will be doing all the usual aerobic base stuff combined with plenty of work on the basics e.g. deadlifts, squats, pull ups, push ups, kettlebell swings, core wok, a duck ton of mobility work.

stronger and more mobile muscles will make short work of ANY activity as compared to smaller weaker muscles

How many times a week will they be doing squats and deadlifts ..would this improve their runnning ..what would u regard as mobility work

Will you have them doing squats with barbell and weights or just their own body weight

Anybody ever do B skips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

step 1 buy calendar
    step 2 go get assessed by a S&C coach
    step 3 get program and put in the dates you will train and rest
    step 4 follow the damn program

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TribeShifter

While this may like simple advice, I would first recommend you start off by doing something you enjoy doing and will therefore be motivated enough to repeat it to the point of it becoming an unconscious habit.

While walking is not enough by itself, it is a great way to get started. After that, you can add weight training, sprinting and body weight workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Transform wrote: »

With respect, my money is on a decent trail runner with good bike handling over any crossfitter in an event such as this.

With respect, my money is on a decent trail runner with good bike handling over any crossfitter in an event such as this.
    who said anything about crossfit?

My money is on the person thats the best prepared and whos trained the most consistently and progressively up to the date.

With events like that one of the biggest challenges is putting in decent volume of training without getting injured before you even get to the starting line.

Advertisement