Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 Garand to Ruger precision. What to do.

Options
  • 25-12-2016 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all new to this so here goes.

I am thinking about selling my M1 Garand chambered in 7.62 nato in favour of getting a Ruger Precision Rifle. Thing is it's a rare enough firearm and i'm not sure if i should or even what it's worth.

What is your guys thinking on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

Hi all new to this so here goes I am thinking about selling my m1 garand chambered in 7.62nato in favour of getting a ruger precision rifle what is your guys thinking on it

The MKII has been getting great reviews. Seen one myself and its a good set up. Only need a scope and bi pods and your good to go target shooting or hunting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've discussed this with the OP and am putting this here to inform any poster.

This is NOT a for sale thread. It's an information thread and opinion seeking thread.

Any offers or questions regarding selling the rifle will be removed. There is a for sale section for that.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

I am thinking about selling my M1 Garand chambered in 7.62 nato in favour of getting a Ruger Precision Rifle...

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Wasn't the 7.62 nato garand the m14 ? Personally i wouldn't swap an iconic rifle like the garand for a very run of the mill rifle like the ruger.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

What's your practical use of the rifle.

The rpr is not a hunting rifle, so rule that out.
    Is it target shooting you want?are you interested in swapping out parts and constantly upgrading your rifle.

You'll never compare the 2, so you need to decide what you want to use it for first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Let me get this into my head - you are considering getting rid of your EXTREMELY rare semi-auto rifle that is rare enough in Ireland, but a prohibited firearm in the UK [including Northern Ireland, of course] and replacing it with a common or garden [but VERY nice to have], bolt-action rifle?

Your choice, of course, but pretty amazing all the same. Over here there are about fifty thousand people who are wishing that they were in your shoes right now.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I think I know this poster...:)
    Welcome,you finally made it here!
    So apoliges if this sounds very cryptic to you and my mistake,if you aren't the one and the same person ,as this is then mistaken identity,but I know a guy not too far from me in Co Clare in the same predicament,with the exact same kind of rifle.

FWIW[1] Do NOT sell that Garand!! [2] DO NOT sell that Garand!Least of all for a Ruger... [3] If you must,go away and get it converted to straight pull.Or get a 3 shot blocker in it and go talk to "himself" in Limerick and tell him you want if for hunting..;)
    Wasn't the 7.62 nato garand the m14 ? Personally i wouldn't swap an iconic rifle like the garand for a very run of the mill rifle like the ruger.

Nope,it has certain features of the Garand,but are two different beasts entirely.
    The "Italian Garands" were a Beretta improvement on the originals which developed into the BM59 and the Ital Alpine rifles. Full story here https://www.classicfirearms.com/bm-59-semi-auto-rifle-308-caliber

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭safesemiauto

Was just a trying to see what you guys would think, I think I am going to hold on to it thanks for the in put much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Nope,it has certain features of the Garand,but are two different beasts entirely.
    The "Italian Garands" were a Beretta improvement on the originals which developed into the BM59 and the Ital Alpine rifles. Full story here https://www.classicfirearms.com/bm-59-semi-auto-rifle-308-caliber

Yeah i vaguely remember hearing something about the Italian garands. Another interesting fact is the Italian navy were issued with .303 lee enfields after world war 2, i suppose it had to be better than the POS Carcano.

• Advertisement
Advertisement