Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Santa Clause becoming an unacceptable figure in this political correct age?

• 25-12-2016 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭

White, (racial stereotype?), male,(gender stereotype?), overweight, drinks and drives/flies, sneaks into children's bedrooms late at night, gives presents to children, (grooming?).
    Is it only a matter of time before he becomes a victim of the PC brigade?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

its happened already. kids dont get to sit on santas knee anymore in a lot of places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If he was real, his feelings would be badly hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's been santa's of other races. No harm there unless you're Megyn Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I love the way that, in the absence of any actual "PC gone mad" stories, lads have to imagine one so they can complain about it. Enjoy the dinner OP, relax for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

The magic it brings to Christmas for kid's and by extension adults is amazing.
    Its a harsh world but just look at the positives instead of the negatives.

If anything i believe parents are getting better overall at buying into the magic of Christmas,No shame in it and lovely to see they can do this for the joy of there children.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    its happened already. kids dont get to sit on santas knee anymore in a lot of places

Really?

Jesus the serial whingers have to ruin everything don't they! :(

Really?

Jesus the serial whingers have to ruin everything don't they! :(
    You're on a thread where someone has imagined fictional complaints about Santa to rail against. Who are the serial whingers here? I'd bet good money this thing about not being allowed sit on Santa's lap is also a figment of someone's imagination as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surely Santa being male is sexist?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What? If you're a rabid SJW, be glad you're not in the Netherlands at this time of year:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Santa Claus (no e)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

That PC crowd are no better than fascists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

mansize wrote: »
    Santa Claus (no e)

Damned predictive text?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Saipanne wrote: »
    That PC crowd are no better than fascists.

This story is as real as leprechauns

At best, they are authoritarians. They are far from the liberal end of the spectrum, like they think.

At best, they are authoritarians. They are from from the liberal end of the spectrum, like they think.
    Who are? The imaginary anti Santa brigade?

The PC crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Dont forget:

Child Labour
    Elf and Safety
    Biiiig hipster beard
    Animal cruelty
    Fashon faux pas

And and and

Not bringing me a Mr Frosty! Cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

give it a rest for one day folks, it's Christmas, you're just making yourself as bad as the PC nazi's.

Have you read any of the articles? You might lose the bet...

Setting aside the fact that it's the likes of the daily mail that have stoked up all the paedophile paranoia in the first place, not the imaginary PC brigade who end up being blamed for its consequences.

• Advertisement

The PC crowd.
    It must be exhausting being that worked up about imaginary people and their imaginary opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It must be exhausting being that worked up about imaginary people and their imaginary opinions.

Would you please read the opening post again. It merely posed a question. It did not express an opinion?

Yeah, no such thing as politically correct nutters. It's not like I've ever met such people in real life. It's not like these people smear their poison all over my social media feed. It's not like their agenda dominates the likes of The Guardian, to the extent that a once great periodical is practically unreadable. The current shift of the working class to the right has nothing to do with the hijacking of the left by middle class identity politics.

No, none of this is happening. Trump, Brexit, Wilders, Le Pen. It's all because "racists" have magically just appeared out of nowhere. What worries me the most is not this rise of the right, it's the lefts inability to acknowledge the reasons why.

Merry Christmas. :)

Roger_007 wrote: »

Would you please read the opening post again. It merely posed a question. It did not express an opinion?
    What was the point of the question?

Yeah, no such thing as politically correct nutters. It's not like I've ever met such people in real life. It's not like these people smear their poison all over my social media feed. It's not like their agenda dominates the likes of The Guardian, to the extent that a once great periodical is practically unreadable. The current shift of the working class to the right has nothing to do with the hijacking of the left by middle class identity politics.

No, none of this is happening. Trump, Brexit, Wilders, Le Pen. It's all because "racists" have magically just appeared out of nowhere. What worries me the most is not this rise of the right, it's the lefts inability to acknowledge the reasons why.

Merry Christmas. :)
    What's all that to do with Santa?

Santa is transgender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

As a kid even when I believed in North Pole Santa I didn't see the point of seeing a fake Santa in a shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Santa is transgender.
    Leave Tranta Claus out of this.

• Advertisement

Leave Tranta Claus out of this.

What about Panti Claus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ah, that brings back childhood memories.

"Santa, is that a phone in your pocket?"

"No, it's 1986, I can't fit a mobile phone in my pocket"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Grayson wrote: »
    There's been santa's of other races. No harm there unless you're Megyn Kelly.

Yeah but try casting a white person as a character who's now white in a comic or whatever the source material is, and contrast the reaction

What would the contrast consist of?

You're on a thread where someone has imagined fictional complaints about Santa to rail against. Who are the serial whingers here? I'd bet good money this thing about not being allowed sit on Santa's lap is also a figment of someone's imagination as well.

In one breath some people complain about snowflakes taking offence at everything, in the next they get offended about a scenario they dream up in their head.

The great irony of the anti-"PC Brigade" mission, they're perpetually offended, not even reality gets in the way of the endless outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

There's something so seasonally appropriate about the special snowflakes who whinge about not being allowed to be racist/sexist/homophobic, having to make up stories to get offended by.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Roger_007 wrote: »
    White, (racial stereotype?), male,(gender stereotype?), overweight, drinks and drives/flies, sneaks into children's bedrooms late at night, gives presents to children, (grooming?).
    Is it only a matter of time before he becomes a victim of the PC brigade?
    The ridiculous PC brigade are already on the back foot because, as always over the centuries, common sense is coming back into vogue.
    In 10 years time we'll all laugh at how preposterous all this hyper sensitivity became.

I agree. We'll all laugh at how silly it was to have a hair trigger reaction to an attitude that doesn't actually exist. The ludicrous hysteria of the daily mail readers will look like the complete lunacy it manifestly is.

The great irony of the anti-"PC Brigade" mission, they're perpetually offended, not even reality gets in the way of the endless outrage.

I just stand up to authoritarianism, in all its forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Even imaginary it seems :D

Your in for a tough life kid,look after yourself

• Advertisement

Even imaginary it seems :D

Your in for a tough life kid,look after yourself

Authoritarian political correctness is very real, unfortunately. And is largely to blame for the mess of Trump and Brexit.

But you continue to lie to yourself and blame it on the "racists".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Tilda Swinton played a part which was that of an Asian man in Dr Strange. There was a furore over this about Hollywood being racist. But anybody who comments about a black Santa is derided as racist (haven't got the reference but I saw it in the last few days). The contrast is that cries of cultural appropriation only seem to go in one direction (I don't buy this at all, btw. Let people make references to/use other cultural memes as much as they want as far as I'm concerned)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Have you read any of the articles? You might lose the bet...

Setting aside the fact that it's the likes of the daily mail that have stoked up all the paedophile paranoia in the first place, not the imaginary PC brigade who end up being blamed for its consequences.

Pointing the finger at the Daily Mail for totally irrelevant things that they may or may not have done is classic diversion.

You lose, pay up!

Tilda Swinton played a part which was that of an Asian man in Dr Strange. There was a furore over this about Hollywood being racist. But anybody who comments about a black Santa is derided as racist (haven't got the reference but I saw it in the last few days). The contrast is that cries of cultural appropriation only seem to go in one direction (I don't buy this at all, btw. Let people make references to/use other cultural memes as much as they want as far as I'm concerned)
    So when people complain about a white person playing a black character is a furore, but when people complain about a black person playing a white character they're just commenting.

Glad you cleared that up, here was me thinking you were applying a double standard.

You're a hero. A warrior even.

Your weapon is a keyboard.

They need a term for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Santa Claus is still alive & well in the Billy household tradition. Which is more than can be said for the puppy that Santy was supposedly bringing to my two kids today. Keeping him in a box in the shed for the past few weeks turned out not to be the best of ideas.

Anyway, I rebranded the present as Schrödinger's Puppy. You should have seen their little faces light up this morning. Well, 50% of them.

Santa Claus is still alive & well in the Billy household tradition. Which is more than can be said for the puppy that Santy was supposedly bringing to my two kids today. Keeping him in a box in the shed for the past few weeks turned out not to be the best of ideas.

Anyway, I rebranded the present as Schrödinger's Puppy. You should have seen their little faces light up this morning. Well, 50% of them.

I can imagine it. And I can't imagine it.

You're a hero. A warrior even.

Your weapon is a keyboard.

They need a term for that.

A keyboard hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

But if you have a black santa AND a white one, won't even the kids twig that one of them can't be real.

Anyway, how could santa be black when he originates/lives in the f*uckin NORTH POLE. Ever seen a black eskimo?

learn_more wrote: »
    But if you have a black santa AND a white one, won't even the kids twig that one of them can't be real.

Anyway, how could santa be black when he originates/lives in the f*uckin NORTH POLE. Ever seen a black eskimo?

Is Santa non-binary?

• Advertisement
Advertisement