Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you ever get the ride or a relationship online on non dating sites and apps?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Got the ride a few years back after initially asking a girl out over MS Lync in work. Went into do some work in her teams department and she was the assigned area expert. Things got pretty flirty somewhere in the middle of a few queries. Does be great for having a bit of banter with the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Went on Couchsurfing once looking to get to experience Rome through spending a weekend with somebody who lived there.

Ended up seeing little of Rome in the end and a lot of the 'couch'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

A mate of mine put me onto this old Facebook app a few years back where you described a buncha girls in one word, not dissimilar to Tinder, Hot or Not etc. Ended up meeting two girls off it. One was a catfish and funny story, the other was gorgeous, great craic and quite good in the leaba...but had a long-term boyfriend. I actually recently heard the pair of them on the radio doing a contest to win a wedding, I nearly **** the bed, the poor bloke had no clue what she was up to.

Aside from that my online experience is all Tinder and POF based.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

Went on Couchsurfing once looking to get to experience Rome through spending a weekend with somebody who lived there.

Ended up seeing little of Rome in the end and a lot of the 'couch'.

Hope her Sistine Chapel was nice and clean.

For me it was IRC growing up where I met some girls with varying degrees of - relations - ensuing upon meeting them later in real life. irc.indigo irc.iol and then finally irc.phishy.net

The longest relationship to come out of it though was 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Cazale wrote: »
    Started talking to my missus on msn messenger through a mutual friend. We are still together 13 years later.

Still waiting for the ride though.

2 people I know who met off that got engaged the other day

It lead to alot of teenagers sneaking in webcams to housed around the country at the time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Burial. wrote: »
    To this day I still maintain Facebook is better for getting the ride than Tinder. You can show off so much more of yourself through Facebook than Tinder. Chatting is still the same.

How do you use Facebook in that way tho?
    Thought if you go adding random people they'll think you're a weirdo lol.

How do you use Facebook in that way tho?
    Thought if you go adding random people they'll think you're a weirdo lol.

Add people with who you have a good few friends in common. Real life friends. Not "Facebook friends"

Give them a poke.

If they poke back drop them a line and take it from there.

It's not rocket science ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Add people with who you have a good few friends in common. Real life friends. Not "Facebook friends"

Give them a poke.

There's no poke function on the Facebook app on the last phone I had...

But yes...I've heard of it happening onow FB....alright

• Advertisement

Give them a poke.

Just to add

This was a great way of meeting people upto maybe two years ago.

If you poked someone on Facebook now they'd likely unfriend you and then call the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I didn't know meeting up etc happened through boards.....what do you do, have a bit of a bant in a thread and then pm them and take it from there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Dated a girl I met on Xbox live playing Gears of War for 6 years. Kind of funny when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There was a boards chatroom once.
    It could be so much better (or worse) now with so many people using the site regularly. Someone should restart it and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 soo35

Sarah?

Nope lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I've not gone quite as far as sex but I've had sexual encounters with two boardsies :o nice guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I've not gone quite as far as sex but I've had sexual encounters with two boardsies :o nice guys

Was there no penetration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Sounds like Boards BJs, an idea I'm totally supportive of btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

Was there no penetration?
    probably like honost bill clinton, i did not have sexual relations etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Got the shift a few times from IRC meetups back in the day. Met a few casual flings via twitter, one of whom was my long term go-to for a ride.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

368100 wrote: »
    I didn't know meeting up etc happened through boards.....what do you do, have a bit of a bant in a thread and then pm them and take it from there??

There have been lots of Boards weddings (including my own) and Boards babies over the years. Some of the couples met at Boards beers, which used to be a semi-regular occurrence until the site got to a size that made organising them a bit of a nightmare. Others met at smaller forum meet-ups or through chatting on a particular forum and one thing leading to another via PM or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Got a bit rosemantic with one or two boardsies over the years. One or two from a..... let's just say sexy Facebook type site. Other than that.... nah.

One or two from a..... let's just say sexy Facebook type site.

Go on ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Go on ....

Probably tagged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Loughc wrote: »
    I met my fiancée through boards...

Loughc

Probably tagged

Is that still a thing?

It wasn't tagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Is that still a thing?

It wasn't tagged.

Donedeal?

Donedeal?

Gumtree, but close enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Daft.ie once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Oceanfree chat room's I met an ex ....Is there anything like them around nowadays ? Msn messenger seemed to be the last one I used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Facebook for me a good few times.

One girl was who I used to pass where she worked nearly Daly and all ways gave her a smile. Found out we had a firend in common in Facebook in a post that was that came up.

So I sent her a request and 10 mins later she added and messaged me back and I ended up seeing her later that night......

Anyway creeping in person is still the best way of getting someone haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Met a fella from the UK on a film website we both used to frequent back in 2006.

Long story short, we met up in person, he packed up and moved over here. Almost 11 years together now and we have a beautiful 7 year old son.

The website is long gone, though :)

Daft.ie once

I hope she was your hot MILF landlady and you filmed it all for Brazzerz.com.

So many possible scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I called around to rent a room in a house. Had a look.
    Got a call about 10 mins later to say they had agreed on renting the room to someone else but did I want to go for a drink. Did I what.

No cameras were used

Fuaranach wrote: »
    Paddynet and Virtual Irish Pub.

Blasts from the past there for sure.

Advertisement