Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best dog chews

• 25-12-2016 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

So got our fab German shepherd / lab pup, he's quickly learning what no means and sit after about wk and half.
    But he seems to be teething mad, he just needs to be chewing all the time. Anything at all that he can get. What are the best chew items you could recommend? He's 11 wks, he's inside and out, walked every day and played with, I've given him rubber chew stick that you can put pastes inside, I've used peanut butter, but no major interest, what other pastes are good?? Also a bone or two, one he prefers much more than the other.
    Any suggestions would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Have you tried a kong toy? The black ones are for heavier chewers apparently. I have two small dogs who love them frozen. Sometimes I mix some peanut butter and banana stuff it in and freeze them they go down a treat and would be soothing on sore gums.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

I have the red Kong, I never thought they liked bananas. I must chop up one and freeze it and pop it in so. Thanks, do u freeze the Kong too?

michdee wrote:
    I have the red Kong, I never thought they liked bananas. I must chop up one and freeze it and pop it in so. Thanks, do u freeze the Kong too?

I mush up a small bit to mix in with the peanut butter. Just make sure there's no xylitol in the peanut butter as it's not good for dogs. Yep I pop the Kong Into a sandwich bag and put it in the freezer. Try even freezing the patê or other things in it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wouldn't call Kongs chew toys - not for my two anyways! Lucy is a big fan of Nylabones... I know there's that propaganda video of Barbies being melted down blah blah but I've been gnawing away at a piece of nylon in my mouth every night for 15 years and I'm fine lol! :pac: I've found with both dogs you need to scuff the end of the nylabone to get them started. Oh and they always leave one end untouched - I had 3 and 4 ended ones here and they always leave one alone lol! :)

We actually threw a bull horn away yesterday that we'd hidden from her - they stink as they get wet. And we had chew roots too but I wasn't happy wth the splinters that came off the chew root! I wouldn't risk an antler as they can crack teeth.

For edible chews pizzles are brilliant if you don't mind the smell!

I suggested the Kong as the OP mentioned the dog was teething and thought it being frozen it might help. I didn't mean to sound as though I was suggesting it as a chew toy, I probably should've said that the black ones are more durable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tk123 wrote: »
    For edible chews pizzles are brilliant if you don't mind the smell!

I think its really unfair to recommend them without explaining what they are :P

Thanks all, going check out those nylabones, they look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

I used to cut up, tie in knots and soak old tshirts and tea towels in water... Then freeze them.

Found them good for my two Huskies when teething. Never unsupervised of course!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Neither of my dogs had any interest in nylabones. A baby teething ring frozen or strips of material knotted, soaked and frozen as someone else has suggested worked a treat or those dried meat treats were also a big hit (and still are).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Hooked wrote: »
    I used to cut up, tie in knots and soak old tshirts and tea towels in water... Then freeze them.

Found them good for my two Huskies when teething. Never unsupervised of course!!!
    Best advise ever I'm currently freezing toys and rags in rotation ☺

• Advertisement

Thanks I'm going to try this and his tug of war toys i am also going to try

Advertisement