Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SONOS Speakers and Spotify

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Company sells product with certain usage restrictions that they advertise openly and honestly. What's the consumer issue here?

I've taken a look at the Sonos site and what's clear is that they make a huge thing out of Spotify on the Sonos but aren't very upfront that a premium account is required.

It is mentioned in passing in the little video thing featuring the by now mandatory large group of uber-cool twenty somethings all preparing food communally in their dreadlocks. A side observation - for some reason they are putting the food on the plates in a fairly normal manner and not standing there with their faces 2 inches from the plate with their arms extended at full reach over their heads and dropping the food onto the plate from there as is the norm in these videos. Not sure why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

UsedToWait wrote: »
    So are you selling it?
    How much you looking?

This isn't Adverts. No buying/selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I've taken a look at the Sonos site and what's clear is that they make a huge thing out of Spotify on the Sonos but aren't very upfront that a premium account is required.

It is mentioned in passing in the little video thing

I've had a look at that video and it's mentioned 6 seconds into it!!

adox wrote: »
    I've had a look at that video and it's mentioned 6 seconds into it!!

6 seconds eh? Good for you. What did you think of the way they were plating up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

http://www.sonos.com/en-ie/streaming-music

Click on Spotify. --

Spotify gives you access to any song, anytime, to any Sonos player in your house. Just search for an artist, album, or track and hit play. You can create playlists, or collaborate with a friend to make the ultimate mix. All you need is a Spotify Premium subscription.

Very easy to find.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    http://www.sonos.com/en-ie/streaming-music

Click on Spotify. --

Spotify gives you access to any song, anytime, to any Sonos player in your house. Just search for an artist, album, or track and hit play. You can create playlists, or collaborate with a friend to make the ultimate mix. All you need is a Spotify Premium subscription.

Very easy to find.

Imagine having to go through all that before buying anything. Does everyone except me do this before every purchase I wonder? The consensus would appear to be that you should and it's your own look out if you don't.

If boards is representative of consumers attitudes is it any wonder these companies are pis*ing themselves and running rings around people?

Anyway - I've made the same point so many times now it's starting to bore even me. I've nothing more to add to this thread.

Imagine having to go through all that before buying anything. Does everyone except me do this before every purchase I wonder? The consensus would appear to be that you should and it's your own look out if you don't.

Not sure what you mean by "all that". You bought a speaker and you wanted to use Spotify on it. I assume that before you bought you had an idea of what you wanted?? If you wanted Sonos then in 3 clicks from the Sonos homepage you find it says "Spotify Premium".

For me, yeah, I do some research before I spend any serious money on a product, and I fairly much know what it can and can't do before I hand over money. I would usually know more than the sales person I am buying from. They want my money, and I want a certain product with certain features.

I certainly don't buy a product and then go online to moan about it because of information that is out there that I didn't check in advance.

While you're clearly unhappy, neither the store nor Sonos have done anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭ongarite

Spotify integration has only been added in the last month, before that you had to use the Sonos app for mobile/desktop to play music stored on your devices.
    Would you have bought a Sonos speaker before the Spotify announcement?
    If not then the news that it requires Premium account has been public since the beta tests running since summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

This is because Spotify require you to have a premium account to play on any third party device. Nothing to do with sonos. If I want to use Spotify on my media center I need a premium account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I took one look at the whole Sonos hype (for some) and decided it was not for me as the cheapest speaker was only wifi streaming. If you wanted to hook up a player through an AUX connection, you had to get the £350 speaker. Damn expensive stuff. I don't use spotify and sounds like they might be the one forcing you to pay and play. I may be too old for this, but I do like to have my music in my hands to play on what I want and where I want

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You can hook up Spotify to any aux input that you want to. Spotify premium, for the music lover, is the best thing that has happened in recent years.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You can hook up Spotify to any aux input that you want to

Have another read what I actually said

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

matrim wrote: »
    This is because Spotify require you to have a premium account to play on any third party device. Nothing to do with sonos. If I want to use Spotify on my media center I need a premium account too.

That's not true.

Spotify (Free) plays fine through Bluetooth on my JBL speakers.

Also seems to work with a number of other brands. If you go into any outlet that have speakers out for customers to test you can see this when pairing with Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Do what exactly? Spend 10 minutes researching the product? If that's the question, then yes, it's expected.

I spent a year researching a watch I purchased recently.

Very entertaining thread though.

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    Spotify (Free) plays fine through Bluetooth on my JBL speakers.

That's not the issue. You can play almost anything over bluetooth. The issue is that when the device itself streams the music it requires Spotify Premium.

Keyzer wrote: »

I spent a year researching a watch I purchased recently.

I bet the time flew by :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

As buyer with a tendency over the years to accumulate lots of obsolete tech as a result of my very-early adopter addiction, I find the "research" period a great defense against wasting money :-)

For most mundane little research will protect your against most of the pitfalls of any new purchase thanks to the excellent reviews and user experience information available from day 1.

For bigger purchases or personal treats / hobbies, I find the search, research, customization, etc all part of the experience of getting my value out of the experience, though it can drive the wife a bit mad a times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

As buyer with a tendency over the years to accumulate lots of obsolete tech as a result of my very-early adopter addiction, I find the "research" period a great defense against wasting money :-)

For most mundane little research will protect your against most of the pitfalls of any new purchase thanks to the excellent reviews and user experience information available from day 1.

For bigger purchases or personal treats / hobbies, I find the search, research, customization, etc all part of the experience of getting my value out of the experience, though it can drive the wife a bit mad a times.

I hate the research. It usually lessens the chance of me buying. I want my new toy now! So I can empathise with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

It's a total Spotify way for them to get people to upgrade.

There's a bunch of over the air features enabled when you get premium, including Apple Airplay, Google cast and sonos.

Advertisement