Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 The Year of Celebrity Death.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The Grim Reaper of Celebrity is really is having a bumper year... and with five days to go before the end of 2016 I dread to think who might be next :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Add Britney Spears to the list.

Edit. A hoax apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

LordSutch wrote: »
    The Grim Reaper of Celebrity is really is having a bumper year... and with five days to go before the end of 2016 I dread to think who might be next :(

Why would you worry about it so much?

Celebrity and TV really took off from the 1960s so there are a lot more famous people than there used to be and they are ageing, so famous people dying is going to be a regular occurrence.

People's OTT reaction to it is what I find strange.

I am a Prince and David Bowie fan, of course I was saddened by their passing but I didn't know them, and I still have their music to listen to.

How I listen to it has changed since their passing but I wouldn't be putting comments on the internet about roaring and crying or being badly affected by it. Only people that you really know can have that type of impact on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

murpho999 wrote: »

Celebrity and TV really took off from the 1960s so there are a lot more famous people than there used to be and they are ageing, so famous people dying is going to be a regular occurrence.

It's a worldwide collective worry. We grew up with the celebrities of our age, we've bought their albums, we've danced to their songs, we've had our 1st kiss to the likes of Careless Whisper, we've waited with anticipitation for the next album, we read about them in magazines, we see them interviewed on TV chat shows . . . so why would'nt we worry or care about them?

I might ask, why don't you empathise with those who do worry/care about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It's a worldwide collective worry. We grew up with the celebrities of our age, we've bought their albums, we've danced to their songs, we've had our 1st kiss to the likes of Careless Whisper, we've waited with anticipitation for the next album, we read about them in magazines, we see them interviewed on TV chat shows . . . so why would we worry or care about them?

but you are speculating "dreading" that a period of time, a calender year has some mystical power over these deaths!
    Worrying about people possibly unexpectantly dying because its 2016 and they happen to be famous is a bit of a pointless, if worrying exercise, is it not!

Bereaving their death I get, but speculating that they might die because of the year thats in it.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's a worldwide collective worry. We grew up with the celebrities of our age, we've bought their albums, we've danced to their songs, we've had our 1st kiss to the likes of Careless Whisper, we've waited with anticipitation for the next album, we read about them in magazines, we see them interviewed on TV chat shows . . . so why would'nt we worry or care about them?

Why would you empathise with someone who has experienced no loss.People do not know these celebrities therefore their death is not a loss to anyone except those who knew them well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I was too 'cool' at the time to be dancing to Careless Whisper, can tell you that.:pac:

Also, these people are not as wordwide famous as you make out. Don't think too many in Asia, Africa or South America are too affected by it.

Anyhow, a death like this gives me a momentary shock and then an 'Ah Jaysus' moment and some reminiscing over their music but I don't mourn it and I'm not fretting over other celebrities dying as I don't really know them and I feel that those who are badly affected it are just attention seeking grief monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Imagine if it were Cliff Richard or Daniel O'Donnell, that would be simply dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

24 "celebrities" die in one year, one every 2 weeks. Pretty sure famous people die every year. How come no one mentions any famous people from other parts of the world who may have died?

Tbh I don't see why people get so exercised or upset when a celebrity passes away. It is something that happens to everyone

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    24 "celebrities" die in one year, one every 2 weeks. Pretty sure famous people die every year. How come no one mentions any famous people from other parts of the world who may have died?

Tbh I don't see why people get so exercised or upset when a celebrity passes away. It is something that happens to everyone

I think it is more to do with the fact that a lot of these guys died unexpectedly, young and were universally respected and known in their fields by the western world.
    Bowie, Cohen (ok, not before his time), Prince, George Michael, Rickman, Corbett (again not before his time), Glenn Frey, even Caroline Ahearn.

The moniker of celebrity means nothing. It is their field talent that people associate them with. And there hasn't been many other years where

It is completely coincidental but, nonetheless, their deaths happened over what people perceive (these days) to be a short period of time (of course not really true either) so the reaction is understandable from such.

It is a social media thing that people want to exacerbate their emotions, whether they be happiness, sadness, anger, shock to draw attention. Lets be honest you don't write on social media unless you want to be noticed and to be noticed these days you probably exaggerate your feelings to stand out. Otherwise (for most) whats the point of logging on and tweeting, posting etc if you don't want your comment to be noticed !

I think people in general have become slightly detached from their emotions to a point owing to social media. Not in an inhumane way, I think the portrayal of your feelings online towards some things doesn't necessarily correlate 100% to your true feelings.

That is in general, not for everyone.

I will get shot down for this by many but I have discussed this with many a group and in a more coherent way than a few words online and most tend to agree that we let our emotions run away with themselves on social media unintentionally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

It is a social media thing that people want to exacerbate their emotions, whether they be happiness, sadness, anger, shock to draw attention. Lets be honest you don't write on social media unless you want to be noticed and to be noticed these days you probably exaggerate your feelings to stand out. Otherwise whats the point of logging on and tweeting, posting etc!

I think people in general have become slightly detached from their emotions to a point owing to social media. Not in an inhumane way, I think the portrayal of your feelings online towards some things doesn't necessarily correlate 100% to your true feelings.

That is in general, not for everyone.

Well said and great insight. You are spot on.

(Please let me subscribe to your blog! ;) )

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    Well said and great insight. You are spot on.

(Please let me subscribe to your blog! ;) )

YOU NOTICED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Year of the crap thread.

Your Face wrote: »
    Year of the crap thread.

We know you don't mean that really! :D Just an exaggerated portrayal of your feelings!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Who actually gives a ****e? Oh a bunch of tax avoiding rich folk have died. So what.

• Advertisement

We know you don't mean that really! :D Just an exaggerated portrayal of your feelings!

Please don't quote me in your posts.

Please don't quote me in your posts.

OK

because you said please and don't convey any passive aggressive emotions in your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Imagine if it were Cliff Richard or Daniel O'Donnell, that would be simply dreadful.

Were you being ironic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Lemmy Kilmister did not die in 2016

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Noveight wrote: »
    More celebs living = more celebs dying.

2017 will probably be worse, as will '18, and so on and so forth.
    "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes"
    - Andy Warhol

For this a wondir last but dayes nyne, We have way more nine day wonders.

• Advertisement

OK

because you said please and don't convey any passive aggressive emotions in your posts.

Your grammar could do with some work too.

Your grammar could do with some work too.

I am very proud of my grammar skills, to be fair!! Trust me when I say they have got me far in my studies and career start :D But I am not one for blowing my trumpet! Thanks for bringing it up though!

#don'tJudgeMeByAMistakeOnAQuickBoards.iePost

http://http://m.memegen.com/j2y1a7.jpg

Anyway Bah Humbug to you too. It was an attempt at a bit of humour. Don't take it personally!

I am very proud of my grammar skills, to be fair!! Trust me when I say they have got me far in my studies and career start :D But I am not one for blowing my trumpet! Thanks for bringing it up though!

#don'tJudgeMeByAMistakeOnAQuickBoards.iePost

http://http://m.memegen.com/j2y1a7.jpg

Anyway Bah Humbug to you too. It was an attempt at a bit of humour. Don't take it personally!

Well done on your studies - you're an inspiration to humanity.
    I think you are the best person of all time and wish you all the best in the future.

Well done on your studies - you're an inspiration to humanity.
    I think you are the best person of all time and wish you all the best in the future.

Ah, now, you are getting carried away with your feelings now! It is a social media thing mate!

Anyway, over and out!

Ah, now, you are getting carried away with your feelings now! It is a social media thing mate!

Anyway, over and out!

No, it has to be said - you're the best person in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

I had to check I'd clicked on the right thread. What's going on? :pac:

Erm....back to the point. It seems like people are competing with each other. It's a race to be the first to report a death (or other hysterical news point) and then they have to help be the biggest fan and feel the pain of the death more than others because of their devout fandom. Even though they've never mentioned the 'star' in question, ever!

That being said, the one that got me was Terry Wogan. I was genuinely saddened by that. Not to the point that I was a crippled mourning mess. It was just sad. George Michael would be a close second. I wasn't a huge fan. He just always seemed to have been around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

murpho999 wrote: »

People's OTT reaction to it is what I find strange.

I am a Prince and David Bowie fan, of course I was saddened by their passing but I didn't know them, and I still have their music to listen to.

How I listen to it has changed since their passing but I wouldn't be putting comments on the internet about roaring and crying or being badly affected by it. Only people that you really know can have that type of impact on you.

Yup, celebrities are just people we don't know and have never met. This whole 2016 meme is just that old Princes Di mass hysteria spread out over 12 months. I think some people are seriously imbalanced if they're seriously affected by the peaceful death of a very rich stranger. Christ, ISIS burnt two Turkish border guards alive a week ago. I don't think they count as celebrities but I'd empathise more with their murder than some celebrity dying in their sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Skommando wrote: »
    are you a paedo or just into buggery ?
    Skommando wrote: »
    It's no mystery that the big A shortened the lifespan of bum bandits active in the mid 80's

Mod

Good lad, take a week off there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

There's no doubt that 2016 has been a seriously significant one from the point of view of celebrity mortality.

I don't buy this idea of "more famous people now, therefore more famous people die, it'll be the same in 2017". I fully expect 2017 to be much less significant than 2016.

A good few of these guys had very secret illnesses, and died at neither young nor old ages. The spectrum of ages and causes of death mean that a hell of a lot more died compared to what one might have expected. As for the idea that the names aren't significant, that's just not true. It took a hell of a lot of people who remained iconic in the world of entertainment.

George Michael - 53, a megastar in music from the 80's and 90's. He was probably in the top 5 biggest musicians at any point in time during that period. Propert star quality.

Prince - 57, same, probably more so. What both of these guys had was star quality.

Bowie - 69 - a combination of the genius and stardom of the above two. Between the three of these guys you're talking of absolute genius musicians, superstars. I'd argue that the only people who could compare with these two in terms of the whole package were Michael Jackson and.........well, who knows, maybe Madonna? I think the big deal there is that they were such unexpected deaths, it would be different if they died in old age or if their illnesses were very well known.

Obviously each generation thinks theirs is the best, but I'm not really seeing that much in the way of the current crop and talent + star quality, it's just so thin on the ground.

With the passing of the old school it does have genuine sadness for a lot of people. On a personal level the biggest loss was Maurice White of Earth, Wind and Fire, to me he was in a class of his own, a proper genius and leader of a truly great musical act. He didn't have the same mystique of back story compared to the other guys, so understandably his demise was more understated.

What I find most striking about this year is not so much the careers of those who died, but the popularity, particularly in the UK.

Bowie, Ali, Wogan, George Michael, Victoria Wood (as much as I find that strange), Johan Cruyff, Alan Rickman, Paul Daniels, Ronnie Corbett, one half of Status Quo and then the iconic figure of Fidel Castro. That's leaving out a hell of a lot of names, and not to mention the events relating to Brexit and the US election, throw in the league title for Leicester City even. It has been a truly massive year of flux, up there with the biggest in my 34 years. The only others I'd compare it to would be 2001, for one momentous day, and 2011, which I thought would never be outdone in terms of crazy ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Pete Burns and the 3 Doors Down guitarist too(though not famous enough fo me to remember his name offhand).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

deadybai wrote: »
    Dunno about anyone else but I can't believe there wasn't a big deal made when Glen Frey died when compared to Bowie and Prince
    You're obviously a big Eagles fan and they had some great songs but I can't understand how you'd consider him to be in the same league as the two of them.
    Owryan wrote: »
    Because they haven't heard of them obviously.

I agree hysteria is silly but it's not unreasonable to take note/express brief sadness when an artist you admire dies early in life and suddenly. The person may not have known them personally but they knew their work for many years, and there's that whole bittersweet end of an era nostalgia aspect and the memories associated, plus the knowledge that they'll never make art again, etc.

I know someone expressing sadness at George Michael's death a lot today - and she lost her sister very suddenly, only in her 20s. People can feel both types of sorrow (obviously a family member dying is infinitely sadder).

There was a very high number of deaths of renowned artists this year at an early age and suddenly. It's dishonest (and tedious at this point) to say otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Flimpson wrote: »
    You're obviously a big Eagles fan and they had some great songs but I can't understand how you'd consider him to be in the same league as the two of them.

The Eagles greatest hit's album is the 6th biggest selling album of all time and I think it was the best selling album of the 20th century in the US.They have 2 albums in the top 20 selling albums of all time.

I guess they aren't trendy and so don't get the attention matching they're popularity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Rainman16 wrote: »
    Doesn't it seem like allot of famous people have died this year?

1. David Bowie - Musician
    2. Prince - Musician
    3. Muhammad Ali - Boxer
    4. Glen Frey - Musician
    5. Gene Wilder - Actor
    6. Lemmy Kilmister - Muscian
    7. Anthony Foley - Rugby
    8. Harper Lee - Author
    9. George Michael - Musician
    10. Florence Henderson - Actor
    11. Terry Wogan - Broadcaster
    12. Kimbo Slice - Fighter
    13. Nancy Regan - Public Figure
    14. Leonard Coen - Musician
    15. Arnold Palmer - Golfer
    16. Frank Kelly - Actor
    17. Paul Daniels - Magician
    18. Johan Cruyff - Football
    19. Gordie Howe - Ice Hockey
    20. Alan Rickman - Actor
    21. Andrew Sachs - Actor
    22. Fidel Castro - Politician
    23. Ronnie Corbett - Comedian
    24. Rick Parffit - Musician

Add Robert Vaughan as well.

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

The Eagles greatest hit's album is the 6th biggest selling album of all time and I think it was the best selling album of the 20th century in the US.They have 2 albums in the top 20 selling albums of all time.

I guess they aren't trendy and so don't get the attention matching they're popularity.
      Well popular doesn't automatically mean good (not that that's a dig at the Eagles - I'm just saying there is more to being an innovative, iconic artist than popularity) and is Glenn Frey really in a similar vein to David Bowie and Prince in terms of creativity and talent?

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Gordie Howe? Hardly a household name or celebrity, though Mrs Krabappel thought he was a looker in The Simpsons.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

3. Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Gordie Howe? Hardly a household name or celebrity, though Mrs Krabappel thought he was a looker in The Simpsons.

Not here right enough, but he was one of the best ice hockey players of all time.

4. Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He is if you're from North America.The fact that he was on the Simpsons kind of proves this.

The NHL is one of the big 4 sports leagues over there and he's considered to be one of the top 3 or 4 players of all time.

Fun Fact: The Simpson's writers Originally tried to use a picture of Johnny "Now there's a haircut you could set your watch to" Unitas for Mrs Krabapple's lonely hearts respondent but he charges money for the use of his image and so they went with Gordie Howe who didn't charge anything.

5. Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

He is if you're from North America.The fact that he was on the Simpsons kind of proves this.

The NHL is one of the big 4 sports leagues over there and he's considered to be one of the top 3 or 4 players of all time.

Fun Fact: The Simpson's writers Originally tried to use a picture of Johnny "Now there's a haircut you could set your watch to" Unitas for Mrs Krabapple's lonely hearts respondent but he charges money for the use of his image and so they went with Gordie Howe who didn't charge anything.

Christ that fact was fun............!! :D

6. Advertisement
    7. Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Garry Shandling. Just flicking through WTF podcast and reminded me.

8. Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

One that was barely mentioned here and in general was Rod Temperton from the band Heatwave (Boogie Nights , Always and Forever) Most notably he wrote Rock With You and Thriller for Michael Jackson. Also wrote killer songs such as Give Me The Night (George Benson) and Stomp for The Brothers Johnson. Huge talent but kept a low profile due to largely being a background songwriter and not the performer.

9. Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I found the deaths of David Bowie, Prince and Leonard Cohen genuinely upsetting. However I have difficulty believing that anyone would care about every single famous person that has died this year. I think calling a rugby player or an ice hockey player a celebrity is pushing things a bit. If you consider anyone who has the remotest level of fame a celebrity then every year is a the year of the celebrity death.

10. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Carrie Fisher has died.

11. Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Carrie Fisher added to the list.

She was only sixty.

RIP

12. Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Agree IG. My main one was Terry.

Listening to him on the radio maybe, on your way to a "difficult" job, or some shoite going on in your life he was like a friend on the end of the phone.

Met him once - lovely man.

Really saddened at his passing.:o

13. Advertisement
    14. Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

15. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Noveight wrote: »
      More celebs living = more celebs dying.

2017 will probably be worse, as will '18, and so on and so forth.

Especially with that celeb bar being lowered each and every passing year

16. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I know I am not supposed to be upset according to some people on here ....afterall I don't know these celebrities

The thing is some have played a large part in my life if indirect on their part

Carrie Fisher for instance in "When Harry met Sally" ....a film I took to as a teenager and which I went to see on the big screen for the first time this year ....and her writing and personality

George Michael music was something that puncuated my life on significant occasions ...and I always really liked the man no matter his troubles

Loved Prince's music and Bowie who I came to late

And listened to Terry Wogan every morning on my way to school...Our bus driver loved him
      Thought Victoria Wood a delight with some great comic turns

Alan Rickman was a great actor and played a mean villian

Loved Caroline Aherne and watched her stuff with much appreciation. Cried my eyes out to the Royal Famity special this christmas (and in 2006 when first broadcast) on the death of Nana played by LIz Smith whose death was justed announced today

THe BBC is full of death notices for talented and wonderful people ... and the world is a little darker with their passing

I am full of sadness

17. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Carie Fisher (Princess Leia)

18. Posts: 31,118 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

Another one to add to the list.(not so famous but well known)

The author of Watership Down, Richard Adams, has died aged 96, his daughter has said.

19. Advertisement
    Advertisement