Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 The Year of Celebrity Death.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

9or10 wrote: »
    2016 has taken yet another hero.

Michael Delligatti, inventor of the Big Mac.

Yeah not just a feckin light bulb or an i-pad or ... something useful for a change.

Damn you 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38162497/inventor-of-the-big-mac-dies-aged-98

Wait a minute, light bulbs are useful!

Satriale wrote: »
    Wait a minute, light bulbs are useful!
    Light bulbs are obsolete, it's (nearly) all LEDs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Pure tinfoil but I reckon the Queen.

She has to be near the top of 2016's hitlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Is your one from Murder She Wrote still alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^

yep, but everyone she met has been murdered ??

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

She killed them all!!!!

^^^^^^

She killed them... she killed all of them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I agree!! Have a feeling it may be a member of the royal family at least.

Also Tina Turner.

I hope I'm wrong but the way the year has gone who knows??!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

9or10 wrote: »
    2016 has taken yet another hero.

Michael Delligatti, inventor of the Big Mac.

Yeah not just a feckin light bulb or an i-pad or ... something useful for a change.

Dr. Donald A. Henderson orchestrated the massive international campaign to rid the world of smallpox,

• Advertisement

She is only 90 and her mother lived to be about 102, so QE II could easily live another decade, but her husband in 95 now so he'll probably go first.

when you think about it....

in the last week alone, we've lost Rick Parfitt, George Michael, Liz Smith, Richard Adams, Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds

thats some carnage, God has got it in for famous people....must be there hedonistic lifestyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Bruce Forsythe isn't well I hear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I wonder if there are any superstitious celebrities out there who really believe the 2016-curse thing and are living in fear?? Actors (and to a lesser extent singers) do tend to be a superstitious lot, so the chance of somebody actually feeling the fear might actually happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

You can nearly sense the hope and expectation on this thread that another "big" celebrity will die before Jan 1st ;)

^^^^^^^^

my money is on Billy Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

^^^^^^^^

my money is on Billy Connolly

Mine is on Robbie Williams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I thought this thread couldn't get anymore bizarre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

I thought this thread couldn't get anymore bizarre!

The thread can always get more bizarre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Last death of 2016. Ronda Rousey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I fear more will die in 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I wonder what celebrity's death would have the most impact on world right now? Would it be one with the most twitter followers, Perry or Beiber, Or would it be someone like The Queen or Donald Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Is that a serious question??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Kanye West this morning

Found alive and well in his Hotel Room

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I wonder what celebrity's death would have the most impact on world right now? Would it be one with the most twitter followers, Perry or Beiber, Or would it be someone like The Queen or Donald Trump?
    If Trump keels over then it goes to the VP, and that's scary.

The Queen well they'll probably try to keep it in the family, nepotisim alive and well in the 21st century.

If Trump keels over then it goes to the VP, and that's scary.

The Queen well they'll probably try to keep it in the family, nepotisim alive and well in the 21st century.
    The rules of royal succession are well known and Charles would be on the throne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The rules of royal succession are well known and Charles would be on the throne.

True.
    Isn't it king Charles then when he dies king William? Ha harry gets shafted. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

True.
    Isn't it king Charles then when he dies king William? Ha harry gets shafted. Lol.
    Always the first born son first, then first born grandson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_British_throne
    Queen Elizabeth II is the present sovereign and her heir apparent is her eldest son, Charles, Prince of Wales. Next in line after him is Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, the Prince of Wales's elder son. Third in line is Prince George of Cambridge, the son of the Duke of Cambridge, followed by his sister, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. Fifth in line is Prince Harry (formally Prince Henry of Wales), the younger son of the Prince of Wales. The first four individuals in the line of succession who are twenty-one years or older, and the sovereign's consort, may be appointed Counsellors of State. Counsellors of State perform some of the sovereign's duties in the United Kingdom while he or she is out of the country or temporarily incapacitated. Otherwise, individuals in the line of succession need not have specific legal or official duties (though members of the royal family often do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Greg Lake of "I Believe In Father Christmas", Emerson Lake and Palmer (ELP) and King Crimson fame passed away on the 8th of December.
    A very underrated musician in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well, with only five hours to go before the new year bell tolls, it looks like the celebrety grim reaper can stop swinging his deathly sythe, and put it away until next year/tomorrow :(

Was watching TV3 year in review and the introduction to every month was of a hearse & coffin. Sums up 2016

34 minutes left, we still have time to add to the list

Gael23 wrote: »
    34 minutes left,

There's still a half an hour of 2016 on Baker Island and Howland Island.

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well, with only five hours to go before the new year bell tolls, it looks like the celebrety grim reaper can stop swinging his deathly sythe, and put it away until next year/tomorrow :(

Unfortunately not. William Christopher (played Father Mulcahy in MASH) passed away yesterday. RIP.

^^^^^^^^^^

what way did they used to pronounce his surname....Mul-k-hee :pac:

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Eyes down for This year already, lads! :eek: They've drawn up a list of fifty!

https://deathlist.net//

They used to be edgy and out there, now it looks like a team of actuaries had a round table. About 90% of their predictions are aged 90 or above!

Stigura wrote: »
    Eyes down for This year already, lads! :eek: They've drawn up a list of fifty!

https://deathlist.net//

tasteful link there :cool:

what next? will the bookies be taking bets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

tasteful link there :cool:

Tis rather, isn't it? :( The worst is, that poor girl in her early fifties. I thought, " What the hell's she doing on it?!

Googled it and rather soured my day. Poor thing. Kirk and Brucie? Yeah. Fine. What ever. But, there's one or two other younger people on there. I never looked .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I can't understand why Gord Downie is on that list, I doubt many people in the UK will know who he is. I had the pleasure of working with him in the early 90s, and The Tragically Hip are a great band, but never really broke the UK. He is very well known in Canada but then so are Timmy's Bits.

Gaybo is on the list too (although he's probably glad of that having his name listed with all those other celebs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Gaybo is on the list too (although he's probably glad of that having his name listed with all those other celebs)

He worked for Granada back in the early 60s, I think he was the first person to introduce The Beatles on TV.

Valerie Harper ?
    Mary Tyler Moore ??

C'mon ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^

what do you mean c'mon? they're ancient

VH is 76. That's not ancient. Her sad reason for being there is due to her terminal cancer.

Valerie Harper has been living with 'terminal ' brain cancer for 3 years and is still going strong at 76 while Mary Tyler Moore is 80 ...not very old in todays world especially when you see these

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/creative-you-die-10-hollywood-legends-90-older-who-refuse-quit-957300

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Valerie Harper has been living with 'terminal ' brain cancer for 3 years and is still going strong at 76 while Mary Tyler Moore is 80 ...not very old in todays world especially when you see these

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/creative-you-die-10-hollywood-legends-90-older-who-refuse-quit-957300

Its a ridiculous tasteless article but the classless authors are making their decisions based on probability. They composed a list and put in as many as they could to stoke debate/offence/shock or even sick ambition to get their predictions correct. If it wasn't Valerie Harper they would have someone else and the longer VH has terminal brain cancer, the worse her health degenerates.

Over 365 days, that is a long time for someone with such a horrendous illness.

Anyway, I am out of this thread. It literally has lost its relevancy, if ever it had one!!

Its a ridiculous tasteless article but the classless authors are making their decisions based on probability. They composed a list and put in as many as they could to stoke debate/offence/shock or even sick ambition to get their predictions correct. If it wasn't Valerie Harper they would have someone else and the longer VH has terminal brain cancer, the worse her health degenerates.

Over 365 days, that is a long time for someone with such a horrendous illness.

Anyway, I am out of this thread. It literally has lost its relevancy, if ever it had one!!

Off to the 2017 one then? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement