Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Seve OB wrote: »
    Any other thoughts on the little things?

Its a decent song but like Moment of Surrender it's a poor choice for the final song.
    Walk on, Forty, and One are great finales.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I have to admit I thought it was a really lazy gig on u2's part. No magic the tempo of the gig was off after the first 3 to 4 songs. Elevation was great but with a catelog like their's who ends with a song like that.

The only effort made for Carole park was a t shirt with home on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

Cionn wrote: »
    The only effort made for was a t shirt with home on the back.

Yep, I felt exactly that. Nothing special for the home crowd, musically lazy and just the same as any other gig. It was a fine gig, but really nothing special. A shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

jsms88 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Little Things. I think it's a really lovely song that gets stuck in your head quite easily.

I left early due to boredom/Bonio's virtue signalling.

Gutted I missed their One Direction cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It was weird, the first hour or so I thought this could be the best U2 gig I ever saw! However it faded badly and was probably the worst. Terribly misjudged setlist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

phonypony wrote: »
    Yep, I felt exactly that. Nothing special for the home crowd, musically lazy and just the same as any other gig. It was a fine gig, but really nothing special. A shame.

Don't think they ever have. Don't blame them either.

Why treat a gig any differently because it's their hometown?

It was weird, the first hour or so I thought this could be the best U2 gig I ever saw! However it faded badly and was probably the worst. Terribly misjudged setlist

Setlist was great until Miss Sarajevo was played.
    I agree, it was misjudged from then on but, the worst U2 gig? Hardly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Setlist was great until Miss Sarajevo was played.
    I agree, it was misjudged from then on but, the worst U2 gig? Hardly now.

It's not a terrible thing considering the other gigs were the best. I think out of the ten gigs of u2 this was the worst though

Don't think they ever have. Don't blame them either.

Why treat a gig any differently because it's their hometown?

Because it's a single gig here (as opposed to multiples in other cities) and it's their hometown! Just bringing the circus into town like its any other city just didn't work for me. Sixth tour I have seen in Dublin, first time I've been disappointed and actually left feeling let down by them.

At the end of the day this is a band that always claims to take pride in being innovative. In an age where every gig is streamed live on mixlr and periscope and available on youtube, doing the same setlist, with the same spiel for every gig (think the harmonica BS he's been doing since day one of this tour for Trip Through Your Wires [despite already playing it earlier in the show on Running To Stand Still] just isn't an indication of innovation. It's playing it safe, night after night.

• Advertisement

Because it's a single gig here (as opposed to multiples in other cities) and it's their hometown! Just bringing the circus into town like its any other city just didn't work for me. Sixth tour I have seen in Dublin, first time I've been disappointed and actually left feeling let down by them.

Well, honestly, show me where they've done something special for a gig in Dublin?
    Because as far as I'm aware, they never have

If you showed up expecting something completely different then, you're going to be disappointed

Well, honestly, show me where they've done something special for a gig in Dublin?
    Because as far as I'm aware, they never have

If you showed up expecting something completely different then, you're going to be disappointed

I've certainly felt past tours were much more personal and 'tailored' for want of a better word to the Irish crowd. Slane gigs in 2001 being a prime example. Tonight just felt like going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Wheety wrote: »
    Good. I don't want the riff raff from Pitch1 coming in and rubbing against me
    Veloce wrote: »
    Thank fook. No Pitch 1 peasants rubbing up against me. Hoorah.

Enjoy lawds.

Is there some sort of hidden joke here or are you two just a pair of *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,089 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Great gig I thought. My fourth time seeing them and it's probably the most fun I had so far for the cheapest price I paid to see them.

Bono's energy throughout was unbelievable even if he was a bit shaky on a few songs but that's nitpicking really. Loved the flyover before Streets and Larry's little camera piece in Elevation was great to witness.

I'd echo what others have said about Little Things being a poor choice as a closing song. Loads of people were leaving before the song had even started and many more left during it. Maybe might've been better after Miss Sarajevo. Would also have liked to hear I Will Follow in the opening set.

The sound was pretty much perfect all night. A truly amazing night with an electric atmosphere.

I've certainly felt past tours were much more personal and 'tailored' for want of a better word to the Irish crowd. Slane gigs in 2001 being a prime example. Tonight just felt like going through the motions.

RDS 1993 - No different to any of the other Zoo TV gigs.
    Lansdowne Road 1997 - No different to any other Popmart gigs.
    Slane 2001 - Done ASOH on the first night, 2nd night was no different to any other gig on the tour.
    Croke Park 2005 - Nothing different compared to the other gigs
    Croke park 2009 - Same
    Point 2015 - The same.

Honestly, I'm genuinely asking what was done differently in the past at the Dublin gigs?
    As far as I can see, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Gobsmacked So many are complimenting the gig. Love U2 and they are at the top of their game but very disappointed in the sound. In the lower hogan and it was awful. I have seen them 21 times and this was worst. Set list was perfect but we could not understand Bono half the time and the guitar was a mess. The only decent sound was the waterboys ffs so it wasn't the stadium. I was there two weeks ago for Coldplay and they had an issue with the first song but the sound guys sorted it straight away and for the rest of the gig it was spot on. Really gutted.

westcork67 wrote: »
    Gobsmacked So many are complimenting the gig. Love U2 and they are at the top of their game but very disappointed in the sound. In the lower hogan and it was awful. I have seen them 21 times and this was worst. Set list was perfect but we could not understand Bono half the time and the guitar was a mess. The only decent sound was the waterboys ffs so it wasn't the stadium. I was there two weeks ago for Coldplay and they had an issue with the first song but the sound guys sorted it straight away and for the rest of the gig it was spot on. Really gutted.

Nah, it's defo the stadium mate. It's notorious for **** sound.
    I was at the Vertigo gigs in 2005 and it was an absolute ****ing shambles. Worst sound I ever experienced at a gig.
    They played my favourite tune, Electric Co....Sound was so bad, I didn't even realise they were playing it...

Where I was tonight, the sound was amazing. Just how it is really

• Registered Users Posts: 42,089 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I was at the Vertigo gigs in 2005 and it was an absolute ****ing shambles. Worst sound I ever experienced at a gig.
    They played my favourite tune, Electric Co....Sound was so bad, I didn't even realise they were playing it...

I was in Upper Davin and the sound was very good for the vast majority. To be fair though I had Ear Peace ear plugs in which helped a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

I'll take your word on it. had the kids with me otherwise I'd have made a break for the pitch. It was that bad

RDS 1993 - No different to any of the other Zoo TV gigs.
    Lansdowne Road 1997 - No different to any other Popmart gigs.
    Slane 2001 - Done ASOH on the first night, 2nd night was no different to any other gig on the tour.
    Croke park 2009 - Same
    Point 2015 - The same.

Honestly, I'm genuinely asking what was done differently in the past at the Dublin gigs?
    As far as I can see, nothing.

Zoo TV had inherent personalisation and localisation built in with simple things such as local TV channel flicking, the confessional, etc and a variation in setlist between the Acthung stuff and Streets. The Slane gigs were particularly personal, lots of heartfelt talk. 360 had good variation over the 3 nights. As did IE 2015. For a single stop on the tour, tonight lacked that sort of personal touch. It should have been special, and the fans deserved it to be special. With the same basic script being followed there is
    very little raw emotion and spontaneity left in U2's shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Here's Bullet for anyone who might like relive it from tonight..

Hope you enjoy.

Bonoman66

Zoo TV had inherent personalisation and localisation built in with simple things such as local TV channel flicking, the confessional, etc and a variation in setlist between the Acthung stuff and Streets. The Slane gigs were particularly personal, lots of heartfelt talk. 360 had good variation over the 3 nights. As did IE 2015. For a single stop on the tour, tonight lacked that sort of personal touch. It should have been special, and the fans deserved it to be special. With the same basic script being followed there is
    very little raw emotion and spontaneity left in U2's shows

So basically they done nothing special for Dublin on any of those tours then?

Why did you expect them to do it tonight?

westcork67 wrote: »
    I'll take your word on it. had the kids with me otherwise I'd have made a break for the pitch. It was that bad

I know your pain man.
    I remember seeing the RHCP there a few years ago and where I was standing, you couldn't hear the bass guitar or the kick drum....I moved about 10 or 15 yards to the left and I heard them clearly.

Go figure

The last night in Dublin for Vertigo they broke the curfew and played about 3 extra songs ,was a very special gig.

Tonight I thought was just the band going through the motions ,well to be honest they have been doing it for years ,it's just a job for them at this stage .
    Tonight was a lazy and cliched performance.

Bono looked very restrained ,he seemed tired ,there was very little energy from him ,no messing with the Edge ,no running around ,he looks old.
    Vocally he wasn't great ,he was struggling to keep up on numerous songs for which they slowed the tempo,Ultraviolet for example was an abomination compared to the last few tours.
    One of their best songs and they murdered it.

As for the screen ,its a fine screen but poorly utilised.
    The band look like ants beneath the screen and for the early songs the screen was either turned off or displaying Corbijn's imagery instead of showing the band .
    Later on in the gig they utilized it better but there was too much of Corbijns abstract stuff ,I want to see the band.

Lighting wise the gig was the worst I have ever seen by U2.
    Hardly any spotlights and the stage was too dark ,you couldn't see the band members for parts of it.
    I didnt like the B stage placement ,why is it towards one side and its too near the main stage ,it should have a longer catwalk like Zoo Tv.

The sound was crap and to be honest it's been crap every time I've seen U2 in Croke Park.

I don't know if it just me getting older that I'm developing a distaste for outdoor gigs,they are a con really ,a substandard product.
    The gigs in the 3arena a few years ago were better than tonight in every regard.

Maybe I'm being too harsh ,I did enjoy large parts of the gig ,I was really buzzing for the first hour but I did feel it lulled a bit before picking up again with Beautiful Day.
    Another 3 or 4 songs would have been nice but I knew I wouldn't get it.

The last night in Dublin for Vertigo they broke the curfew and played about 3 extra songs ,was a very special gig.

Tonight I thought was just the band going through the motions ,well to be honest they have been doing it for years ,it's just a job for them at this stage .
    Tonight was a lazy and cliched performance.

Bono looked very restrained ,he seemed tired ,there was very little energy from him ,no messing with the Edge ,no running around ,he looks old.
    Vocally he wasn't great ,he was struggling to keep up on numerous songs for which they slowed the tempo,Ultraviolet for example was an abomination compared to the last few tours.
    One of their best songs and they murdered it.

As for the screen ,its a fine screen but poorly utilised.
    The band look like ants beneath the screen and for the early songs the screen was either turned off or displaying Corbijn's imagery instead of showing the band .
    Later on in the gig they utilized it better but there was too much of Corbijns abstract stuff ,I want to see the band.

Lighting wise the gig was the worst I have ever seen by U2.
    Hardly any spotlights and the stage was too dark ,you couldn't see the band members for parts of it.
    I didnt like the B stage placement ,why is it towards one side and its too near the main stage ,it should have a longer catwalk like Zoo Tv.

The sound was crap and to be honest it's been crap every time I've seen U2 in Croke Park.

I don't know if it just me getting older that I'm developing a distaste for outdoor gigs,they are a con really ,a substandard product.
    The gigs in the 3arena a few years ago were better than tonight in every regard.

Maybe I'm being too harsh ,I did enjoy large parts of the gig ,I was really buzzing for the first hour but I did feel it lulled a bit before picking up again with Beautiful Day.
    Another 3 or 4 songs would have been nice but I knew I wouldn't get it.

Sound is the same for every artist that plays Croke Park. I just got lucky with my position for the sound
    Personally, I'd cut Bono some slack. He's pushing 60 and time catches up with us all. Gone are the days of him climbing scaffolding, waving a white flag.

So basically they done nothing special for Dublin on any of those tours then?

But it doesnt stop all the foreigners coming here thinking that its a special thing to see U2 perform in Dublin .
    Its a pure myth .

I lost track of the number of times I overheard foreigners saying that you have to see U2 in Dublin ,its their home town ,its a unique experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Something special for hometown like a flyover from 4 air corps planes leaving Irish colours behind them you mean?! But I do remember them doing dirty old town in 97, and I remember he played something for his Dad in 01.

Flat note to end the gig on really​, sound wasn't great in lower cusack, so it obviously depends on your position in the ground. The bar queues were a complete joke in "the crossbar" 4-6 people taking orders and only 2 people pulling 1 pint at a time!

Other than that there were goosebumps for most of the night, the crowd were in full voice, the screen was excellent but possibly under utilised. Noel Gallagher played a good set and really enjoyed the four lads from Dublin. Great gig all in all, would pay the €186 x 2 again, don't know if there many other bands I'd pay that amount to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Panti Bliss a man in a dress a great women ???? Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Seen an American family paying over 600 euro to a tout and he said ill be back with another two tickets. still wondering if they got in. Two Americans paid 500 each and they where great craic ye need that around ye.

Lower cusack 303 row c sound was perfect could head everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

If im not.mistaken in 2009 they played the auld triangle....

Advertisement