Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

I left early due to boredom/Bonio's virtue signalling.

Gutted I missed their One Direction cover.

I would have thought that a bit of One Direction would be right up your street.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will programmes be available too buy online???

They ran out of them yesterday, got the red Joshua Tree shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I was in Block 301 Cusack right beside the stage an "obstructed view" ticket bought Friday for €76. No issues with sound there. Had great view of both bands but also the activity backstage.

I'm not a fan and truthfully was only there due to FOMO. The show started great, was banging along but fell flaccid after Bullet the Blue Sky.

Thought they themselves seemed very warm and genuine compared to a lot of contemporary bands on stage but dare I say doing the JT album start to finish was to blame here? It doesn't suit the narrative arc of a concert.

The evening felt like a box ticking exercise to fulfil a contract. Anyone who paid over €76 for last night was goosed.

phonypony wrote: »
    The Slane gigs were particularly personal, lots of heartfelt talk.

Just to clarify.... you wanted Bono to do more talking?? Really??

The man just cannot win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭C__MC

It was weird, the first hour or so I thought this could be the best U2 gig I ever saw! However it faded badly and was probably the worst. Terribly misjudged setlist

Would echo this, thought it was going to be brilliant but kind of fizzled out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It is so disappointing that 12 years on from the fiasco of the first few nights of the vertigo tour and people are still paying big money to play the croke park lottery.

You don't go to U2 in Dublin expecting much that is different from their other shows. The air corp flypast in the middle of streets as the big screen was getting going to launch into the best band in the world play one of the top albums of all time, standing on the croke park pitch is a very special moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Listened to the gig from a neighbour's back garden in Marino.

The noise from the crowd at the start and some great tunes were spoiled by a bloody helicopter that just wouldn't go away. The first half of the gig sounded fantastic and we were both gutted not to be there.

Then the second half just seemed to fizzle to nothing. Why no banging rock tunes to finish? I would have been very disheartened to have paid to go see them.

Went inside, watched some classic U2 stuff via YouTube/Chromecast, beers in hand, no long walk home. Great night! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Anyone know if a recording of it can be got anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

It's early on Sunday morning and I really enjoyed the gig last night.

I'll post more thought when my brain is working later on.

But one thing jumped out at me last night. We were at Coldplay 2 weeks
    ago and the sound was incredible. We were in 734. Last night right opposite
    in 702. Our sound was good but we couldn't really hear Bono's talking
    to the crowd.

Coldplay had multiple speakers hanging from the Croke Park roof.
    U2 didn't. Those hanging speakers must have made a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Regarding the sound in croker I was at the coldplay gig a couple of weeks back, seated in the lower Hogan towards davin end. The sound at that gig was better then the previous 6 times I've seen u2 there. In fact it was faultless. Not sure if it was their soundmen or the weather conditions but any of the u2 gigs had sound issues, and I was positioned in different parts of the stadium for those gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Was in 701, level with main stage so couldn't see much of what was on screen. No issues with sound except for when Bono spoke - so win-win there :p

I think the JT tracking listing doesn't help. Got the impression a few around me just knew the hits and weren't familiar with the lesser known tracks. I was delighted with Red Hill and Mothers.

The final song was a bit meh - just felt the night ended with a whimper. Few people on the Dart were saying the same. Would've loved if it finished with 40.

Tickets only cost me €44 so can't complain on that front.

Overall great night but would think twice if they play in Croker again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

SQ2 wrote: »
    Something special for hometown like a flyover from 4 air corps planes leaving Irish colours behind them you mean?!

That wasn't the air corps. They got rid of their jets years ago. It was a French team in town for the Bray air show.

I totally missed the flyover, tbf couldn't see much sky with the overhang from the upper stand. Pity! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't understand why people are complaining of a lull in the middle of the gig which is when they played the B side of Joshua Tree which is what the whole gig is about?

Also what are people looking for different when they play in Ireland? Everything they play is from their own catalogue so how could they make it different here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Ended with a whimper but the first dozen songs as good as it gets. Spectacular day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Boatlake

The last night in Dublin for Vertigo they broke the curfew and played about 3 extra songs ,was a very special gig.

Tonight I thought was just the band going through the motions ,well to be honest they have been doing it for years ,it's just a job for them at this stage .
    Tonight was a lazy and cliched performance.

Bono looked very restrained ,he seemed tired ,there was very little energy from him ,no messing with the Edge ,no running around ,he looks old.
    Vocally he wasn't great ,he was struggling to keep up on numerous songs for which they slowed the tempo,Ultraviolet for example was an abomination compared to the last few tours.
    One of their best songs and they murdered it.

As for the screen ,its a fine screen but poorly utilised.
    The band look like ants beneath the screen and for the early songs the screen was either turned off or displaying Corbijn's imagery instead of showing the band .
    Later on in the gig they utilized it better but there was too much of Corbijns abstract stuff ,I want to see the band.

Lighting wise the gig was the worst I have ever seen by U2.
    Hardly any spotlights and the stage was too dark ,you couldn't see the band members for parts of it.
    I didnt like the B stage placement ,why is it towards one side and its too near the main stage ,it should have a longer catwalk like Zoo Tv.

The sound was crap and to be honest it's been crap every time I've seen U2 in Croke Park.

I don't know if it just me getting older that I'm developing a distaste for outdoor gigs,they are a con really ,a substandard product.
    The gigs in the 3arena a few years ago were better than tonight in every regard.

Maybe I'm being too harsh ,I did enjoy large parts of the gig ,I was really buzzing for the first hour but I did feel it lulled a bit before picking up again with Beautiful Day.
    Another 3 or 4 songs would have been nice but I knew I wouldn't get it.

Agree with everything you said. The show wasn't great. I watched the same gig last weekend in Rome and it was much better. All around the stadium, the crowd dancing in the aisles. Same in Berlin and London.

If anybody tried to enjoy themselves and do that where I was sitting, a Croke Park Storm-trooper appeared and sent them packing back to where they came from.

Not sure I would go to Croke Park again for a gig. It's ****e.

I wonder was bono trying too get his name in for a possible opening ceremony for the 2023 Rugby world cup when he said a few words about it ??

murpho999 wrote: »
    I dont undrrstand why people are complaing of a lull in the middle of the gig which is when they played the B side of Joshua Tree which is what the whole gig is about?

Also what are people looking for different when they play in Ireland? Eveything they play is from their own catalogue so heow could they make it different here?

Totally agree with you. This was not intended to be a greatest hits gig. The second side of the Joshua Tree is excellent music. Just because it's not on the radio doesn't mean they shouldn't have played it. Exit, Red Hill Mining Town, In God's Country, Mothers of the Disappeared were fantastic last night and the majority of the crowd was into them. Even Trip Through Your Wires, which I can take it or leave it at the best of times was really great live.

There were some supercasual fans there who I knew would struggle with this part of the show but that's their problem. I was shocked to see the exodus to the bar start with Bullet! I'm sorry but anyone who attends a U2 gig but who considers Bullet the Blue Sky or Running to Stand Still to be missable or not worth their time, really shouldn't be there. For once, U2 put the real fans first and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Well I thought it was a great gig. One of the best I've been at.

Miss Sarajevo and ending with The Little Things That Give You Away wasn't the smartest idea though.
    Ultraviolet is not as good as the ZOO TV versions. Was the same in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

I read somehwere that the videos were shot in 8k. I imagine the screen was also in 8k? Someone mentioned it is the biggest screen anyone's ever toured with, but is it really? It looks similar to the size of previous tours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

All the negative meffs on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

starWave wrote: »
    I read somehwere that the videos were shot in 8k. I imagine the screen was also in 8k? Someone mentioned it is the biggest screen anyone's ever toured with, but is it really? It looks similar to the size of previous tours.

Yep.

Popmart's screen was 10 feet taller but, not as wide. This is 40 feet wider.

Vertigo's screen was taller.

Kind of ****s on the criticism posted on here about how the screen makes the band look like ants....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭blade1

lambayire wrote: »
    Our sound was good but we couldn't really hear Bono's talking
    to the crowd.

Seems like they got the sound spot on so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will programmes be available too buy online???

They ran out of them yesterday, got the red Joshua Tree shirt

Yep just checked, its all up there in their web page.

http://u2.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wo/2.65.27.13.0.1.7.2.1

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Everyone seems to be raving about this flyover but its all been done before back in 1975 at Knebworth festival with Pink Floyd, they had a flyover when they opened with Shine on you Crazy Diamond.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Yep just checked, its all up there in their web page.

http://u2.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wo/2.65.27.13.0.1.7.2.1

Cheers

Still annoyed over that guy who elbowed me out of the way at the merch stand yesterday he was getting ratty cause of the 3G. One guy in the line must of took about 20 mins trying on stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Can say I feel relatively human again after a dodgy hangover, but it was a great show as I expected last night. I was sorry to see the Heroes snippet gone from Bad though. When he started singing that in Twickenham I don't think I've ever gtten goosebumps like that.

Was in 320 in the Davin. My view was exactly as I expected. Tent pretty much blocked off a lot of to the right of Larry. People could move around pretty freely though to wherever they wanted (apart from the pitch- the stewards were on top of their game :( there..)

Just like London, Miss Sarajevo left the crowd a bit... "huh?" especially with your one on the flag being passed around. Finishing on the new tune (which is actually brilliant) was a misstep though, but I am kind of taking that as a "to be continued..." thing. Either way, ended oddly.

The sound in the Lower Davin wasn't great to say the least. Was very bad for Noel and fixed for U2 except for the spoken parts, but that improved as time went on also.

Just how absolutely amazing is Exit on this tour? The Shadowman character just makes the performance of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That was something else, thats a big tick in the box for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Incredible night,

They seem to have sound right - hasn't always been the case in Croker.

Went alone - but the atmosphere was so good and positive from the off - you made friends fast - got business cards from Americans , Finish and South Africans - it does remind you that U2 are not just an Irish thing , they have connected with people and ideas and dreams and hope. I wasn't there for business cards - there for the laugh and fun and tunes.

I know it is not cool to like U2 in modern hip Ireland , but when you are at a u2 gig you are in a safe zone :)

The feminism thing is nice - I did go to myself , is that not a bit the cause of the day - but do get it. But you could be cynical about it.

I don't think Bono interacted with the crowd in that Irish we are home way - he did the band story again. But I know people have said they want less of that and just get on with the tunes. The atmosphere in Croker was special - from 1st tune , you could hardly remove your focus.

Found some of the songs very emotional Running to stand still. Bad , had a tear in the eyes.

Was thinking why is there such a connection - I guess when you grow up in Dublin you see all the problems and dreary lives - you see these lads who didn't give a **** about the "you can't do it" - who do you "think you are".

For all the negativity - they just give a hope - that with enough effort , openness and work - you can do anything.

Unreal experience.

This desperation
    Dislocation
    Separation, condemnation
    Revelation in temptation
    Isolation, desolation
    Let it go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 mdiggity

I had an absolute belter of a time and thats all that matters. 😊

Advertisement