Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

shar01 wrote: »
    Was in 701, level with main stage so couldn't see much of what was on screen. No issues with sound except for when Bono spoke - so win-win there :p

Some friends of mine were in 301 ,they sent me a picture of their initial view,it was funny, basically looking at the screen completely side on ,they could see none of it !
    Thanks to some good info posted on here by others I had earlier told them that if the view was crap to move elsewhere and they wandered around when Noel came on and found some good 192 euro seats in 306,which they had for the whole night.

The same lads met the Canadian girl Bono pulled up on stage in London for the I and E Tour,Trish Weedon, the one in the fifties style clothing,in the Big Tree yesterday afternoon.
    They said she was dead sound.
    There was an epic gig in there by a cover band ,unreal the lads said,got them revved up nicely for Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Trying to process my thoughts and it is a mix of euphoria tinged with disappointment...

I am lucky enough to have seen U2 twice on this tour having seen them in Rome last week too. Looking at it completely objectively I have to say that the Rome concert was superior in almost every aspect. Firstly, the curfew doesn't help. U2 did not come on stage until 9.20pm in Rome at by that stage the entire stadium was buzzing with anticipation. It also meant that we got the full effects of the stage show, for example nobody even saw Larry walk down the b-stage at the start so when the drums to SBS kicked in it was a big surprise. Plus it allowed them to play until 11.30pm or longer if they wanted to.

Secondly, almost the entire crowd in Rome was comprised of young, rowdy and extremely vocal LOCAL fans. I wouldn't begrudge anybody who puts their hand in their pocket to travel abroad to see U2 but I must admit it was a bit weird being at a concert in Dublin and feeling like the only Irish person there. I'd imagine it was a bit odd for the band too when they arrived on stage to see a sea of Belgians in front of them. I know they tried to address this on the I&E tour by giving presale codes to fans with an Irish address but that was obviously just a once off. It's great for the local economy to have thousands coming from abroad for U2 but doesn't do much for atmosphere. Most of these people are part of well-organised (almost militant) U2 fan clubs in Holland, Belgium, etc. Why is there no Irish fan club?!

Several people have mentioned this before but for the first hour I thought it was gearing up to be an epic evening but then it just died. I was sure they would have added in one or two extra songs (Sort of Homecoming or I Will Follow) but they didn't bother.

Finally, someone else mentioned the Croke Park 'stormtroopers'. I saw these guys reprimanding people for the most innocuous things but about 45 mins before the end of the gig this completely wasted junkie started pushing his way to the front in our area and was randomly grabbing and groping women, almost causing a couple of fights and ruining the last portion of the concert for lots of people. I tried looking around for a yellow bib to help and they were nowhere to be seen. It just left a bit of a sour taste and I especially felt sorry for an American couple that were accosted by this waste of space.

It was my third U2 concert at Croke Park and once again it wasn't quite what I hoped it would be. That air corps fly-by during Streets will stay in my memory forever though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Trying to process my thoughts and it is a mix of euphoria tinged with disappointment...

I am lucky enough to have seen U2 twice on this tour having seen them in Rome last week too. Looking at it completely objectively I have to say that the Rome concert was superior in almost every aspect. Firstly, the curfew doesn't help. U2 did not come on stage until 9.20pm in Rome at by that stage the entire stadium was buzzing with anticipation. It also meant that we got the full effects of the stage show, for example nobody even saw Larry walk down the b-stage at the start so when the drums to SBS kicked in it was a big surprise. Plus it allowed them to play until 11.30pm or longer if they wanted to.

Secondly, almost the entire crowd in Rome was comprised of young, rowdy and extremely vocal LOCAL fans. I wouldn't begrudge anybody who puts their hand in their pocket to travel abroad to see U2 but I must admit it was a bit weird being at a concert in Dublin and feeling like the only Irish person there. I'd imagine it was a bit odd for the band too when they arrived on stage to see a sea of Belgians in front of them. I know they tried to address this on the I&E tour by giving presale codes to fans with an Irish address but that was obviously just a once off. It's great for the local economy to have thousands coming from abroad for U2 but doesn't do much for atmosphere. Most of these people are part of well-organised (almost militant) U2 fan clubs in Holland, Belgium, etc. Why is there no Irish fan club?!

Several people have mentioned this before but for the first hour I thought it was gearing up to be an epic evening but then it just died. I was sure they would have added in one or two extra songs (Sort of Homecoming or I Will Follow) but they didn't bother.

Finally, someone else mentioned the Croke Park 'stormtroopers'. I saw these guys reprimanding people for the most innocuous things but about 45 mins before the end of the gig this completely wasted junkie started pushing his way to the front in our area and was randomly grabbing and groping women, almost causing a couple of fights and ruining the last portion of the concert for lots of people. I tried looking around for a yellow bib to help and they were nowhere to be seen. It just left a bit of a sour taste and I especially felt sorry for an American couple that were accosted by this waste of space.

It was my third U2 concert at Croke Park and once again it wasn't quite what I hoped it would be. That air corps fly-by during Streets will stay in my memory forever though!

Now you mention it the crowd last night was 99% over 40. Nothing wrong with that I'm well into that age group myself but I thought it was a bit weird compared to other arena gigs I've been to this year in Dublin, including Phil Collins and Aerosmith all of which had a good mix of ages from kids up.

The encore part of the show was poor. After the second half of the JT they needed to close with some real bangers and funk up the playing for a live setting.

It was a good night which could (should) have been stellar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Everyone seems to be raving about this flyover but its all been done before back in 1975 at Knebworth festival with Pink Floyd, they had a flyover when they opened with Shine on you Crazy Diamond.

Yeah, we were all at that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Loved the gig - but is true in hindsight , the ending is a nonsense -

Go out with a belter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Long day (got home just after 2am) but had a blast. Great music as always. It was my 4th U2 gig. I was in lower Cusack and had no issues with the sound. Ended on a bit of a whimper ("One" would have been a much better closer) and moving back down to the small stage at the end wasn't a great move, but they're minor complaints in the grand scheme of things.

See you for the Achtung anniversary tour in 4 years. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

More I think of it, I'm not really sure why anyone is complaining...

I do understand people who had sound issues. That would ruin any gig and I do agree with the ending of the gig. But it was a perfectly good gig other than that and us fans got treated to a lot of rarities.

4 planes flying over with the tri colour during Streets and Ultraviolet been played with images of Veronica G, Mary Robinson and McAleese on the screen is "different" enough for me for an Irish gig thanks very much.

I don't need them to bring back the lemon for a homecoming gig. Considering the hate they get, if you'd call it a homecoming gig

• Registered Users Posts: 26 keith06

Thanks again to all the people who posted about the tickets been on sale on Friday. I thought the show was amazing, I can see how some people loved it and others not so much. U2 have changed go back to slane 2001 Bono running round the stage for where the streets have no name, I think them days are long gone but for me it's U2 and that's my 5th time seeing them and probably the best.
    Got tickets in 301 couldn't see s**t but moved down towards a few empty seats in 302 and the view was awesome,thought d sound was fine.
    Definitely a band just doing their job, didn't feel like a homecoming gig, jus another date on the calendar for them but couldn't fault any of it.
    They definitely wanted to keep us hungry with the new song at the end, which was good, should've played it first then one last but that's just been picky.
    The Joshua tree best album ever made,loved hearing it played live and in its entirety.
    Here's to the songs of experience tour and the inevitable scramble for tickets again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mr E wrote: »

See you for the Achtung anniversary tour in 4 years. :)

Zoo TV 2021, now that would be something I'd be drooling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Zoo TV 2021, now that would be something I'd be drooling over.

Zoo Digital is something I sincerely hope happens! The tour was too good not to be celebrated a la The Joshua Tree!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Everyone seems to be raving about this flyover but its all been done before back in 1975 at Knebworth festival with Pink Floyd, they had a flyover when they opened with Shine on you Crazy Diamond.

Don't think anybody claimed it was a first.

Everybody is watching each other in the music industry. Roger Waters (to continue with your Pink Floyd reference) is currently touring America with a huge video screen down through the centre of the arena. Now, who did that before only 2 years ago, can anyone remember??

Loved the gig - but is true in hindsight , the ending is a nonsense -

Go out with a belter.

On the contrary, if anything, it makes too much sense.

They open with pre-JT songs, then play JT in full, then post-JT songs and finish with a new song off their upcoming album. Almost perfectly chronological.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

jsms88 wrote: »
    On the contrary, if anything, it makes too much sense.

They open with pre-JT songs, then play JT in full, then post-JT songs and finish with a new song off their upcoming album. Almost perfectly chronological.

Still a bit arsey - to not give the crowd a big finish.

Still a bit arsey - to not give the crowd a big finish.

You're right. Hopefully, they will have a few more lively, rockier tracks on the new album too.

Then again... Get On Your Boots anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Don't think anybody claimed it was a first.

Everybody is watching each other in the music industry. Roger Waters (to continue with your Pink Floyd reference) is currently touring America with a huge video screen down through the centre of the arena. Now, who did that before only 2 years ago, can anyone remember??

Well it could be argued that Pink Floyd were the first to use a cinema screen backdrop, but I suppose they all influence each other, I'm not too hot on Water's new material though.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Well it could be argued that Pink Floyd were the first to use a cinema screen backdrop, but I suppose they all influence each other, I'm not too hot on Water's new material though.

True. U2 were the first band to have a b-stage set-up and nowadays everyone has one. Coldplay even had a c-stage two weeks ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

Had a blast. Wish people would have just enjoyed it rather than try to record the whole thing on their phones...

You're right. Hopefully, they will have a few more lively, rockier tracks on the new album too.

Then again... Get On Your Boots anyone?

Hold Me Thrill Me is good and was on the 360 tour.

I'd love to see them break out of their comfort zone on stage, even just for a few minutes.

Hold Me Thrill Me is good and was on the 360 tour.

I'd love to see them break out of their comfort zone on stage, even just for a few minutes.

I'd hardly think ending a gig with a brand new song that no one has heard and an entire 2nd half of an album that the majority know **** all about, is them in their comfort zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Had a blast. Wish people would have just enjoyed it rather than try to record the whole thing on their phones...

I actually didn't notice much phones where we were.

Although we were back further than the soundstage, and there was acres of space!

First time I didn't try to get as close as possible, and to be honest it was awesome. So chilled and zero queues for loo or bar. All the VIPs passed us on the way to the sound tent too.

As said, epic first hour, forgettable second hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Synergism

I didn't see Aung San Suu Kyi during Ultraviolet, they were very quick to distance themselves from her!

I'd hardly think ending a gig with a brand new song that no one has heard and an entire 2nd half of an album that the majority know **** all about, is them in their comfort zone

What I meant by that is change their musical style a little bit in how the tracks are performed.

What I meant by that is change their musical style a little bit in how the tracks are performed.

Then people would complain that they weren't doing the proper versions.

See RHMT, The Fly, EBTTRT for people complaining that they changed them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Anyone else have The Waterboys on repeat today?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MaxManis

starWave wrote: »
    I read somehwere that the videos were shot in 8k. I imagine the screen was also in 8k? Someone mentioned it is the biggest screen anyone's ever toured with, but is it really? It looks similar to the size of previous tours.

Apparently it's a 7.6k screen they use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Gintonious wrote: »
    Anyone else have The Waterboys on repeat today?

Not the Waterboys, but I've listened to Bad around 40 times already today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MaxManis

Really enjoyed the gig overall but I found some of crowd to be very uptight and serious in the Pit 1 area.

Where I was standing a guy beside me kept giving out to the guy in front of him because when he clapped he backed slightly into the guy. I thought It was a bit ridiculous. If you are standing in a tightly packed area you are going to get people bumping into you.

From where I was standing there looked to be a lot more outpouring of love for the band and their songs on the seated areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

MaxManis wrote: »
    Apparently it's a 7.6k screen they use

Maybe if you're a software developer, but, I bet they still call it 8k. Like the way 4k is called 4k, but it's probably 3.8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Synergism wrote: »
    I didn't see Aung San Suu Kyi during Ultraviolet, they were very quick to distance themselves from her!

Most of the 360 concerts were ruined by Bono ranting on about her. Remember they even had people on stage during Walk On wearing eerie cut-out pictures of her face...U2 at their worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

As powerful and important the Syria message is, it absolutely sucked the energy out of the stadium. I love miss Sarajevo but it clearly doesn't work on the current set. This has been universally noted by everyone since day one of the tour. Ultraviolet similar. If you left after Mothers of the disappeared you'd be better off.

Advertisement