Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

As powerful and important the Syria message is, it absolutely sucked the energy out of the stadium. I love miss Sarajevo but it clearly doesn't work on the current set. This has been universally noted by everyone since day one of the tour. Ultraviolet similar. If you left after Mothers of the disappeared you'd be better off.

Would love if they started the encore with I Will Follow and drop Sarajevo. Really don't know how U2 thinks Sarajevo works especially when bono doesn't do the pavirotti part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

As powerful and important the Syria message is, it absolutely sucked the energy out of the stadium. I love miss Sarajevo but it clearly doesn't work on the current set. This has been universally noted by everyone since day one of the tour. Ultraviolet similar. If you left after Mothers of the disappeared you'd be better off.

They have set the bar so high.

I thought they were fantastic last night but, it's the fact they've raised the bar that much, you expect them to hit it every time.

Wish I was going tonight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It's really not though, they've simply just messed up the setlist. Perhaps it's down to production, or easier songs to play near the end due to aging and diminishing energy levels, but it's clearly flawed.

So yeah I guess they themselves have set the bar so high. And perhaps everything after JT just paled in comparison. Either way it was a bit disappointing after such an epic first hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Synergism wrote: »
    I didn't see Aung San Suu Kyi during Ultraviolet, they were very quick to distance themselves from her!

That tends to happen when you get to finally sit in the hot seat.

It's really not though, they've simply just messed up the setlist. Perhaps it's down to production, or easier songs to play near the end due to aging and diminishing energy levels, but it's clearly flawed.

So yeah I guess they themselves have set the bar so high. And perhaps everything after JT just paled in comparison. Either way it was a bit disappointing after such an epic first hour.

Little Things should be included. It's a great song but, not to end the gig.

Miss Sarajevo needs to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Did anyone hear the sound check? They did an instrumental of 11 0clock tick rock that went on and on and on, must have been ten minutes long, and was absolutely brilliant....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the sound check? They did an instrumental of 11 0clock tick rock that went on and on and on, must have been ten minutes long, and was absolutely brilliant....

Do the band do their own soundchecks? A Lot of the bigger tours now are so finely tuned it's the crew who do it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone know how long gig was - was it too short ?

Seen a load of tourists going to Larry Mullen's childhood home there this evening - that is a bit sad for people in 40s. lol

scudzilla wrote: »
    Do the band do their own soundchecks? A Lot of the bigger tours now are so finely tuned it's the crew who do it

Think that is one thing that U2 always pride themselves in a real sound check

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Somebody got a red card for what i'm about to say so guess i'm gonna have to word it very carefully but this is a genuine query

Quite a few people have mentioned about the amount of foreigners at the gig last night, now up to the late 90"s i guess any type of U2 Croke gig would have been attended by a predominant Irish audience, now with online ticket sales and ryanair it's easy for anyone in Europe to get over here, so it's basically U2 playing an Irish show but to an international audience

Anyone think this makes for a better or worse atmosphere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

100% worse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Seyetnand wrote: »
    cracking night.

coming from aul fella, I do miss the flags and the overcrowding, the place seemed very empty down the back, could've shoved another 20 thousand there and would have made for a better atmosphere, but what do i know about health and safety.

Its gone from one extreme to the other.
    I remember being in the pit for Zoo Tv in Cork and it was jam packed .
    You would be swept forward 5m and then back again ,in waves for the whole gig ,it was mad.
    Nowadays the standing areas are far too sparse,Pitch 2 last night on the left side of the stage had huge uninhabited areas.

I still cant believe that Ticketmaster didn't release any extra standing tickets for the gig in Dublin ,this new segregated pitch system has obvioulsly reduced the standing capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Synergism wrote: »
    I didn't see Aung San Suu Kyi during Ultraviolet, they were very quick to distance themselves from her!

Very observant first post!
    Her pedestal is crumbling.
    Interesting how this may impact the live future of Walk On.
    “I don’t think there is ethnic cleaning going on,” Suu Kyi told the BBC. “I think ethnic cleansing is too strong an expression to use for what is happening.“

The Nobel peace prize winner is facing international criticism for her government’s handling of a crisis in the Muslim-majority Rakhine region, where soldiers have blocked access for aid workers and are accused of raping and killing civilians.

Critics have called on Aung San Suu Kyi, who after 15 years of house arrest as a political prisoner now effectively rules Myanmar in the specially created position of state counsellor, to speak out against the abuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

100% worse

An Italian pushed pass me in queue yesterday. Then when turnstile didn't work we were put in a different queue he tried to get past me again. I think my exact words were back the f##k off. Security man said to me they are unreal. I also noticed that any of the foreigners who had a lanyard type ticket thought it was a VIP invite from bono himself and if they flashed it they should bypass queue. I know this maybe a generalisation but it seemed plainly evident while queuing early yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

A dig at Panti and now some anti-foddnahr "bantzz". Classy.

you can look at it 2 ways.

I had a fantastic time with every tourist I met - South African - Norwegian - Finish - American.
    I was very proud that they wanted to see U2 in Dublin and the atmosphere was unreal - so what is the issue.

The other side.

U2 coming home was always a thing - for the Irish fans - Bono always did an Irish thing , singing Royal Canal - Molly Malone - bringing someone up on stage - just something , even a joke we would only get.

I think the gig is technically complex and timed to the second - graphics , whatever backing track is going on . Lights, screen etc.

Every show has to be almost scripted to a degree.

It is a fantastic gig - but the whole thing has little or no spontaneity .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

An Italian pushed pass me in queue yesterday. Then when turnstile didn't work we were put in a different queue he tried to get past me again. I think my exact words were back the f##k off. Security man said to me they are unreal. I also noticed that any of the foreigners who had a lanyard type ticket thought it was a VIP invite from bono himself and if they flashed it they should bypass queue. I know this maybe a generalisation but it seemed plainly evident while queuing early yesterday.

Speaking of security, I didn't think it could be any more non-existent than it was at Coldplay but incredibly it was! I was with two girls who each had a small bag, neither of which was searched although both were given a red band with checked written on it. One of them asked the guy if he was actually going to check them and he smirked and dismissively asked if there was anything in the bag. Rough translation as far as I'm concerned: I don't care if ye get blown up or stabbed, I'm getting paid for the next hour and then I'm outta here. I wasn't even given a pat down.

What is it about this country and our "yerra" attitude to everything?? Something will happen and then we'll have pandemonium, politicians all over the news, security people rewriting the procedures. But there'll have to be a few hundred funerals before any of that is contemplated.

Or maybe our appearance wasn't "foreign-enough" to merit being checked!! Complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MaxManis

Anyone know how long gig was - was it too short ?

Seen a load of tourists going to Larry Mullen's childhood home there this evening - that is a bit sad for people in 40s. lol

Its started at 20:50 and finished up around 11:03, was around 2 hrs 10 mins in length

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

Really jealous reading all these reviews from the gig last night. Looks like it was an absolute epic night. Oh well...!!

Does anyone think U2 might play another gig in Ireland for the Joshua Tree tour? Possibly at the end of the tour?? Havent looked at the tour schedule so I don't know how this would work logistically. Wouldn it be amazing if they ended the tour in the magnificent new stadium that is Pairc Ui Caoimh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Wooderson wrote: »
    A dig at Panti and now some anti-foddnahr "bantzz". Classy.

Not anti foreigner. Far from it if you knew me. But no doubt security let the tourist element of the crowd away with a lot of pushing and shoving on entry.not just me saying it. I had a lot of family and friends at the gig who went in early and they all said the same. Because you voice an informed opinion does not make you an anti foreigner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I was in the Hogan and saw 100s of people either guest list or vip with little badges on them. Being herded out at 8:30 and didn’t have a clue where to go, most of them were heading down to Pitch 2 area which sickened me tbh. Spoke to a couple whose friend worked security. Presume its the travelling crew as they were American. They asked me if i had a ticket because they just had a badge and didn’t have a clue where to go. They just waltzed down to Pitch 2.

My point is I would’ve loved to go for Pitch 2 tickets but didn’t see one available since they went on/off sale. I don’t have 500 or 1000 euro to drop on a ticket to see U2 in their twilight. Ive been to nearly every tour since Zooropa and its clear its a massive money making game, more so than i expected.

Enjoyed the classics, the sound was poor, was worried when the Oasis tribute band sound was all over the place. Good to hear(just about) Joshua Tree classics but as others have said no spontaneity. Watched back a Leeds gig in the week i went to in 1993 and that was unforgettable. Saturday was ok, just wasn’t blown away, they are the biggest band of my generation don’t think i could get excited about another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I had a blast and thought the gig was fantastic.
    I will now move on with my life.

****ing hell, if spontaneity is the way to rate gigs now, every gig I've been to has been ****e. :D

Quo, Queen, ACDC, U2, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Stone Roses, Simon & Garfunkal, Paul McCartney, U2, Guns N Roses, Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers have all been **** because they didn't do anything spontaneous.

In fact, my day is going to be **** because I'm not going to spontaneously get a chicken fillet roll.... My first time having sex, forgettable. Wasn't spontaneous enough.

One of the worst... Sorry, the worst way to judge a gig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Still though - would it have killed them to do A Sort of Homecoming or I Will Follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Think that is one thing that U2 always pride themselves in a real sound check

Well Bono wasn't around for the soundcheck.

He only rocked into Dublin Airport at around 3pm on Saturday.
    Well that's according to one of the girls here at work who got pics with him there at arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

A bit surprised at the comments about bad sound in Croke Park. I've always found it good maybe I've just been lucky.

Worst sound by far at an Irish gig - Prince in the RDS Arena 1992. That was some howler. Two hours of him blowing raspberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

A bit surprised at the comments about bad sound in Croke Park. I've always found it good maybe I've just been lucky.

Worst sound by far at an Irish gig - Prince in the RDS Arena 1992. That was some howler. Two hours of him blowing raspberries.

Don't remember having an issues on the pitch for that one. That was a cracker of a show.

Springsteen at Croker seems to be the leader for crap sound.
    And wasn't there all sorts of issues for Neil Young at the RDS a few years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

shar01 wrote: »
    Still though - would it have killed them to do A Sort of Homecoming or I Will Follow.

Would have loved A Sort of Homecoming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

An Italian pushed pass me in queue yesterday. Then when turnstile didn't work we were put in a different queue he tried to get past me again. <snip>
    Had the same with italian grannys at the bread counter in a bakery in austria once. It was unreal.

The germans are the same with supermarket queues and their trolleys, you need to dint the c*nts out of the way first before they get in in front of you. Fight ignorance with ignorance.

it a foreign thing, they dont understand queues (or manners) in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,385 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just to note that the fly past wasn't by the Irish Aer Corps.

"A Celtic jet team from Brittany in France flying four Fouga jets was one of the highlights following their fly-over above Croke Park and U2’s homecoming gig on Saturday night."
    http://www.thejournal.ie/bray-air-show-3511169-Jul2017/

Think there was confusion cos the Aer Corps used to fly those types of jets...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement