Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Redo91 wrote: »
    Only 10% in presale is obviously BS! Why would they bother doing that it at all if that was the case?

Agreed 10% is BS but they obviously do it to drive up the subscription to U2.com

My guess is they'll sell a large chunk of the ticket on presale, then when the first show sells out in minutes after general sale they'll announce a second date. The ****ty thing about doing it this way is that members only get presale access to the first show and not the second show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

That's still around 8,000 tickets. Its more than a token gesture.

Ya but you're left with a situation where people who pay good money to secure early access to tickets could miss out to people who didn't bother in the rush when they go on general sale. Will there even be any tickets left for the presale on Thursday if there's only 10,000 released?

In any case the 10,000 is obviously BS so don't know why I'm debating it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ya but you're left with a situation where people who pay good money to secure early access to tickets could miss out to people who didn't bother in the rush when they go on general sale. Will there even be any tickets left for the presale on Thursday if there's only 10,000 released?

How many do you think go to the presale? I wouldn't expect it to be much more than that with a large chunk going to corporate sponsors as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I was reminiscing this morning as I played The Joshua Tree in the car, I was only about 11, I had a few compilation records which I had been given as gifts but I had no proper records. I got a Golden Discs voucher for a birthday or Christmas. There was a problem though, Golden Discs were not selling records anymore (or at least very, very few of them). There was this new fandangled thing called a CD. Sure it had been around for a while, but there was a new album on the shelves which was changing the picture for music of the future. It was the first album ever to be released on CD on it's launch day. All other albums were released on Vinyl & Cassette (a what:confused::eek:) and CD's followed. It was the first album ever to sell a million CD's. It was the album which made the CD a household item. Sure it would have happened anyway, but this album was the breakthrough. It was of course the Joshua Tree.

But oh no....... we don't have a CD player. And it wasn't a case of slipping down to Power City to pick a cheap one up. Back then they were big ticket items and my folks weren't exactly flush. Then out of nowhere my Nana and Grandad came along with a new Philips Hi-Fi system for us, with the all important CD player :D Happy days, off to Dun Laoghaire with us to get my very first record, The Joshua Tree on CD. My god how I minded that baby, I must have cleaned it after every single play. It's not been out in a while as she is loaded on my iPod, but I reckon it is probably still in tip top nic.

I had liked U2 for as long as I remember, Pride & Bad, Live Aid, but now listening to this CD I didn't like them anymore, I loved them and I have been a die hard fan ever since. My folks weren't into them and there was no chance of seeing them live. I don't remember Croke Park, but I do remember New Years Eve at the Point, not that I was there, but I still have my Cassette recording from 2fm and the cover from Hot Press. It wasn't until ZOO TV rolled into town that I got to see them live, and I haven't missed a show since.

I lived in Shankill and used to see Bono's house in Bray, my da would point it out, the Martello Tower. Then he moved to Killiney and I would pass his house a lot on the Dart and seen him quite regularily walking on the beach/garden etc as the train whizzed by. Never met him, had a few opportunities alright, but I was always more a fan of the music than the people behind it, so I figure it is best left that way.

My 7 year old was so excited yesterday when I got home from work telling me that U2 were going to be playing in Dublin in July, 9 days after she turns 8! She remembers me heading off to the last concerts in the Point and when I went to London to see them. She likes a few of their songs, loves Every Breaking Wave and One, all through me playing it in the car of course and thinks some of the older stuff is just alright :eek:.
    Synode wrote: »
    The radio are saying tickets available from €34.50 (or something close to that)

I'm going to go for standing, the only way to go to a gig.

But to be honest, I think I will try and get a cheap seat for the second show (although I reckon it will be the first on the Friday night) and bring the young one. I won't tell her, just give her the ticket for her birthday pressie, so I better get her listening to the Joshua tree on a loop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

fan club/various pre-sales accounting for a small amount of the overall tickets is pretty standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

you're getting early access to have the chance to buy tickets, not early access to definitely have tickets.
    pre-sales for gigs sell out of their allocations regularly. whether or not it will happen with this remains to be seen as there might be a much larger allocation due to there being a second gig.
    eg. rather than 10% as may be standard, U2 might have negotiated 15% due to their stature and this being their hometown, and then because there'll be 2 gigs, managed to get 30% (15% + 15%) of first night tickets to be through the fanclub, as there'll be no tickets for the second gig available through the pre-sale.

that means there could be about 25,000 tickets available for the pre-sale.
    all speculation of course, no-one really knows what the agreement between U2 and the promoters is for how it all gets divied up.

Rolling Stone Magazine review of the Joshua Tree when it was first released

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/the-joshua-tree-19870409

My favourite line
    That's not to say that this record is either a flagrantly commercial move or another Born in the U.S.A. The Joshua Tree is U2's most varied, subtle and accessible album, although it doesn't contain any sure-fire smash hits.

I think it was another Born in the USA, arguably even bigger. As for not containing any sure fire smash hits :rolleyes:

SteM wrote: »
    Agreed 10% is BS but they obviously do it to drive up the subscription to U2.com

My guess is they'll sell a large chunk of the ticket on presale, then when the first show sells out in minutes after general sale they'll announce a second date. The ****ty thing about doing it this way is that members only get presale access to the first show and not the second show.

Actually for the 360 shows they had originally announced 2 nights and when they sold out in lightning speed they announced a third night. The third night went on sale about a week later and also had a fan club pre-sale. I know this because when I missed out on tickets for the first 2 nights I joined the fan club to be sure I'd get tickets for the third night :P

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Great story. I'm sure many have similar tales to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

So for those saying that you're going for Standing tickets... what's it actually like to be standing at a big gig like this these days? I last stood at a gig in Landsdowne Road back in 1997/1998 when U2 played during the Pop tour. Since then have been seated. Would a lad in his early 40's have any sense getting some standing tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mr Velo wrote: »
    So for those saying that you're going for Standing tickets... what's it actually like to be standing at a big gig like this these days? I last stood at a gig in Landsdowne Road back in 1997/1998 when U2 played during the Pop tour. Since then have been seated. Would a lad in his early 40's have any sense getting some standing tickets?
    Theres no comparison. Sitting down at gigs is crap. Early 40s? So?

I wouldn't say U2 gigs are particularly rowdy so standing should be fine from the point of view of people pushing etc. To get a good view at croke park though you'd want to queue early before the gig though so up to you whether you'd want to do that.

Jeysus I'm 40 and hope to be standing at many a gig to come

Did they give out wristbands for the 360 tour? Pit pass I mean.

The Nal wrote: »

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Yeah they did. Different colours on different nights. I got a class purple one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

If you have a pre-sale code, you can use it for any gig. So if you fail to get tickets for the Saturday show, you can use it if there is a pre-sale for any other shows or any new shows that are announced.

How likely is it that there would be a pre-sale for a second Dublin show? Depends how quickly they announce and put tickets on sale!

Veloce wrote: »

Yeah they did. Different colours on different nights. I got a class purple one :D
    Presume they only gave them out to early arrivers? Could you get it outside and then head off and come back before show time?

Presume they only gave them out to early arrivers? Could you get it outside and then head off and come back before show time?

I went there quite early and joined the GA que outside the stadium. They were going around to everyone one by one.

I think you could head away if you wanted to but you'd lose your place in the line - and I think the vast majority of people who got wristbands were people who wanted to be up close the stage.

• Advertisement

Veloce wrote: »
    I went there quite early and joined the GA que outside the stadium. They were going around to everyone one by one.

I think you could head away if you wanted to but you'd lose your place in the line - and I think the vast majority of people who got wristbands were people who wanted to be up close the stage.

Good stuff. Like Springsteen so. Got a band and headed to the pub for the afternoon. Waddled back in before the show with a load of whiskey down my bagaistí. No interest in being right up close. Anywhere in pitch 2 will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nervous about the sale 2morrow. Reckon all the allocation will be gone by 9.02

That bloody matching pictures ****e on TM always catches me out and the App doesn't work for pre-sales

1 stand ticket is all I want

PTH2009 wrote: »

That bloody matching pictures ****e on TM always catches me out and the App doesn't work for pre-sales

Hate those bloody pictures too, think they're worse than the letter/number captchas!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You are like an old woman ,calm down ,there will be plenty of tickets available for you tomorrow .

You are like an old woman ,calm down ,there will be plenty of tickets available for you tomorrow .

And next July.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

And next July.

Exactly ,especially as its only 1 ticket he is after .

And next July.

Good point. They're not doing that paperless ticket thing again are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

And next July.

Hopefully

The premium ticket allocation that's not taking up by seat owners will possibly go on sale later in the year. I was in the premium level for RHCP in 2012 and it's OK but nothing spectacular, handy that the bars and stuff are indoors and there's a restaurant

There was a rake of tickets released closer to the date for the I+E tour. I got late GA tickets for Dublin #2 and Belfast #2.

• Advertisement

And next July.

Hopefully

The premium ticket allocation that's not taking up by seat owners will possibly go on sale later in the year. I was in the premium level for RHCP in 2012 and it's OK but nothing spectacular, handy that the bars and stuff are indoors and there's a restaurant
    No question. Especially as theres likely to be 2 shows. Same for most cities.
    Tickets were like confetti for Springsteen the week of the gig last year.

Advertisement