Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just to note that the fly past wasn't by the Irish Aer Corps.

"A Celtic jet team from Brittany in France flying four Fouga jets was one of the highlights following their fly-over above Croke Park and U2’s homecoming gig on Saturday night."
    http://www.thejournal.ie/bray-air-show-3511169-Jul2017/

Think there was confusion cos the Aer Corps used to fly those types of jets...

The faux outrage over it.

"Oh he uses the Aer Corps but won't pay his taxes. A disgrace to the country. Worst human in the world"

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Seve OB wrote: »
    Any other thoughts on the little things?

I was at Twick 2 and they didn't play it,  they had done previous night so I was raging.  I had purposely stayed away from listening to it but since then I've downloaded a version or 2 and it has been on a loop all week.  I even caught my 8 year old daughter singing it to herself today,  I've trained her well.  Only raging there wasn't a second night I could bring her to
    Was glad to hear it and thought it was good. Really growing on me as a tune now. Bono delivered it superbly considering it was the last of over 20 songs....

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

I was in the Hogan and saw 100s of people either guest list or vip with little badges on them. Being herded out at 8:30 and didn’t have a clue where to go, most of them were heading down to Pitch 2 area which sickened me tbh. Spoke to a couple whose friend worked security. Presume its the travelling crew as they were American. They asked me if i had a ticket because they just had a badge and didn’t have a clue where to go. They just waltzed down to Pitch 2.

I think these "VIP's" we just in front of the sound/mixing tower? However did anyone else notice that they were on a raised area? Never noticed a raised area on the pitch before?
    We were to the right hand side of Pitch 1 about halfway up pitch opposite Sound/Mixing tower.
    Because of these "VIP's" in raised area we were unable to see ANYTHING on the B stage! I am not short but they completely blocked our view of the B stage and of course all the songs playing there. This was compounded with the lack of Video on the screen. The first we saw of U2 was when they went onto to the main stage for Streets!
    It put a bit of a downer on what was great energy at the start of gig not being able to see a thing :(
    Agree with others in that the gig sort of fizzled out with the encore songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

mrk75 wrote: »
    Was glad to hear it and thought it was good. Really growing on me as a tune now. Bono delivered it superbly considering it was the last of over 20 songs....

I missed out on it at Twicks 2 also, but we got Mysterious Ways.

I think it's a great song. It makes sense on paper to play it where they did (taster for Songs of Experience tour?...) but inevitably, ended the show with a whimper.

Everyone seems to be raving about this flyover but its all been done before back in 1975 at Knebworth festival with Pink Floyd, they had a flyover when they opened with Shine on you Crazy Diamond.
    No doubt it was and has been at other gigs too but, in fairness, it's probably a bit of a rarity at Dublin gigs and there's no doubting it was pretty spectacular and a memorable part of the night for all who were there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

No doubt it was and has been at other gigs too but, in fairness, it's probably a bit of a rarity at Dublin gigs and there's no doubting it was pretty spectacular and a memorable part of the night for all who were there....

To be fair, given the absolutely perfect timing the whole thing was spectacular. I'll never forget that myself.

jsms88 wrote: »
    You're right. Hopefully, they will have a few more lively, rockier tracks on the new album too.

Then again... Get On Your Boots anyone?

Hold Me Thrill Me is good and was on the 360 tour.

I'd love to see them break out of their comfort zone on stage, even just for a few minutes.
    By playing a brand new song as the closing number in a stadium show in front of 80,000 people maybe...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I was in Cusack Stand Block 303 and didn't see it. Mates were in Hogan Premium and also missed it. Kicking ourselves but wondering are we alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

For a concert to celebrate the Joshua Tree - for the place they were playing - this should have been the song to finish the concert on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEzzSPuPs3Y

She took the back way home
    Past the lights at Summerhill
    Turn left on to the north strand
    And on
    On towards the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I thought it was an amazing gig. My first time seeing them live. I thought the sound was fantastic too. I was in Pitch 2 so I imagine that made a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

We were over to the left nearer the front for Noel and the sound was atrocious so we immediately moved back beyond the sound desk and more towards the centre(still with full view of screen) and it was pretty spot on.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I would have loved if they did all the encore songs after the first 4, and kept the whole of the JT til the end.

All in all a very very good gig. Could have been right up there with their best with some adjustments, which is pretty impressive considering Bono's fairly shot!

Great gig, I thought. Even better than Twickenham 2 from the point of view of getting the new song although Mysterious Ways would have been good too and maybe enthused the crowd more but I think they earned the right to roll out a newbie after so many oldies.

Just a treat to hear the JT again. I'd say that'll be it for most of those tunes e.g. Red Hill, One Tree Hill, God's Country, etc.

Thought the guys were in top form. I get the discussions about lack of movement about on stage but they're all pushing on now. Still, Larry was fairly hammering those skins for a man not far off 60.

Really enjoy the screens and I think they got the balance right between pre-recorded stuff and band footage. Let's face it, as Willie Williams hinted in the Irish Times last week, who wants to see a load of 8k close-ups of four fairly wrinkly faces.....?

Great to hear the rumours of the new album coming in December and fingers crossed for some 2018 gigs going on sale before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I would have loved if they did all the encore songs after the first 4, and kept the whole of the JT til the end.

All in all a very very good gig. Could have been right up there with their best with some adjustments, which is pretty impressive considering Bono's fairly shot!

Yep.
    I think in hindsight and looking back, it really was. My only complaint is Miss Sarajevo.

Although, completely understand anyone's frustration, who was in a place with a bad sound

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Loved the gig, but there were problems so here goes my little rant at Croke Park.

This codology where you go into the grounds and buy a drink but then can't bring it with you onto the pitch.... I mean WTF is that all about? Then when you do get to the pitch, you have no problem buying drink, all be in Carlsberg and only Carlsberg (sans bottle top). So I can handle that (just about) but the girls with us were on the wine, but you have to go back outside to buy wine that they then won't allow you back in to the pitch with!!

Then after Noel Gallagher we went to the Jacks. That was the worst moment of the night, it must have taken about 20 minutes in a queue wedged like a tin of Sardines to get ferried to the jacks under the hill and then when we get to it, there is not even 1 fella in the toilet, I swear to you, not 1. So WTF was going on there? When I made it back to the pitch, I wasn't planning to face that again so I just bought 2 beers and sipped them for the night. Thankfully I managed to grab a bottle top as they were disposed so was able to keep the beer in my arse pocket.

Now getting out, it was ridiculous, ferrying everybody from pitch 2 out through the narrow channel. I've been on the pitch a few times there for gigs and they always let you go up through the stands, but not in this section, probably the most densly populated and they wouldn't ease the congestion. But the worst was to come. The jacks was closed, the cleaners had been in and done their job, before everyone had left. I was in a bad way now. I asked a steward and he just told me there was none, and that I should just go to the club accross the road. I know the lad wasn't to blame, but if you saw the queue of people trying to get into the club, that was the best joke I heard that night.

It's no wonder the local residents get pissed off as there litterally was no option for anyone to go to the jacks, so it just ends up with everyone going in gardens. What a disgrace.

In comparision at Twickenham, pitch access was so seemless in and out, and you bring your drink, whatever you are having with you wherever you want. They have a modern stadium like Croke Park with purpose built toilets for the masses, but they went one step further and anywhere there was an empty wall, they just stuck a line of portaloos up against it. There was no push to get you out of the Stadium as quick as possible, bars and food joints remained open and it was a very leasurily exit, unlike the way we were sheparded like sheep out of Croker.

Was also kinda surprised not to see the Souvenir Cup make an appearance. The difference in the clean pitch at Twickenham and the sea of empty green bottles at Croker....:rolleyes:

I thought it was ridiculous that the toilets were closed at the end too. I contemplated knocking on a resident's house and offering €10 to let me use their toilet. I was actually in pain I need to go so badly and had to go down a laneway. All the pubs etc. had massive queues as well as the one group of 4 portaloos I saw.

Loved the gig, but there were problems so here goes my little rant at Croke Park.

This codology where you go into the grounds and buy a drink but then can't bring it with you onto the pitch.... I mean WTF is that all about?  Then when you do get to the pitch, you have no problem buying drink, all be in Carlsberg and only Carlsberg (sans bottle top).  So I can handle that (just about) but the girls with us were on the wine, but you have to go back outside to buy wine that they then won't allow you back in to the pitch with!!

Then after Noel Gallagher we went to the Jacks.  That was the worst moment of the night, it must have taken about 20 minutes in a queue wedged like a tin of Sardines to get ferried to the jacks under the hill and then when we get to it, there is not even 1 fella in the toilet, I swear to you, not 1.  So WTF was going on there?  When I made it back to the pitch, I wasn't planning to face that again so I just bought 2 beers and sipped them for the night.  Thankfully I managed to grab a bottle top as they were disposed so was able to keep the beer in my arse pocket.

Now getting out, it was ridiculous, ferrying everybody from pitch 2 out through the narrow channel.  I've been on the pitch a few times there for gigs and they always let you go up through the stands, but not in this section, probably the most densly populated and they wouldn't ease the congestion.  But the worst was to come.  The jacks was closed, the cleaners had been in and done their job, before everyone had left.  I was in a bad way now.  I asked a steward and he just told me there was none, and that I should just go to the club accross the road.  I know the lad wasn't to blame, but if you saw the queue of people trying to get into the club, that was the best joke I heard that night.

It's no wonder the local residents get pissed off as there litterally was no option for anyone to go to the jacks, so it just ends up with everyone going in gardens.  What a disgrace.

In comparision at Twickenham, pitch access was so seemless in and out, and you bring your drink, whatever you are having with you wherever you want.  They have a modern stadium like Croke Park with purpose built toilets for the masses, but they went one step further and anywhere there was an empty wall, they just stuck a line of portaloos up against it.  There was no push to get you out of the Stadium as quick as possible, bars and food joints remained open and it was a very leasurily exit, unlike the way we were sheparded like sheep out of Croker.

Was also kinda surprised not to see the Souvenir Cup make an appearance.  The difference in the clean pitch at Twickenham and the sea of empty green bottles at Croker....:rolleyes:
    I hear ya. Croker a fair bit behind when it comes to that kinda thing. The amount of work involved in clearing up the bottles never mind the environmental impact is head-scratching really.

Not to be able to buy a drink on the pitch apart from those youngsters with the Carlsberg back-packs is a bit mad and kind of an insult to an adult crowd. The rule about not bringing drink in/out was strange too.

Toilets weren't as bad as Twickenham for me. At least they had urinals for the blokes at Croke. Don't know about afterwards but kudos to the local resident outside with a sign reading:

"TAKE A PISS

€3"

You gotta take your hat off to the entrepreneurship... :)

Exiting was mad, though. We were standing towards the canal end and, instead of letting us walk out James Terrace and on to Clonliffe Road, as we did on the way in, we were shepherded on down to whatever road runs parallel to the back on the canal end (taking you from city centre up to Fairview direction) then we had to take a left and walk all the way back up the Clonliffe Road against the flow of thousands of people going the other way so we could get back to the car at Botanic Gardens.

Good job Fagans was still open for a pint and a rest of the weary feet after that one....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have been to a several "anniversary album gigs" and they invariable did the album at the very start, and then a "greatest hits" bit at the end - a very long encore.

I did not go to U2, but seeing what they played I would have liked JT first, and shift the opening 4 songs to the very end as an encore.

Many bands save their most well known songs till the end, but some like to come out with a opening well known track to get the crowd going (which many would have expected to be in encores/later). The first 3 on JT are very well known, in fact I would have preferred them to be split up but do like the idea of sticking to the tracklisting. At other "album gigs" I was also sort of disappointed when checking out the album to see the first few songs were my favourites and I knew the crowd would not really have got going yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Was on Pitch 1.
    Toilets just outside, bit of a queue, next one up 80odd metres, no queue anytime I went.
    Easy access to Carlsberg all night. I drink and love Carlsberg.
    Sound was fantastic, set was fantastic, a slight lul around Exit & Mothers of the Disappeared, but I love Miss Sarajevo and then be blown away by Beautiful Day to get things moving again.
    Never heard a crowd sing along so much
    Probably the best Gig I've been to!

No complaints here..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,385 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In comparision at Twickenham, pitch access was so seemless in and out, and you bring your drink, whatever you are having with you wherever you want. They have a modern stadium like Croke Park with purpose built toilets for the masses, but they went one step further and anywhere there was an empty wall, they just stuck a line of portaloos up against it. There was no push to get you out of the Stadium as quick as possible, bars and food joints remained open and it was a very leasurily exit, unlike the way we were sheparded like sheep out of Croker.

Exiting out via Cusack side I thought I saw a load of portaloos against wall, about 20... it was dark exiting so can't swear to it... one of the stewards had a loud speaker and started oles oles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,385 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was in Cusack Stand Block 303 and didn't see it. Mates were in Hogan Premium and also missed it. Kicking ourselves but wondering are we alone?

They didn't seem to fly over the centre of the pitch, I was in Hogan Premium and would've missed it only a mate pointed it out... even then, once they were over the stadium, couldn't see them due to the overhanging stand.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Great gig but this whole "U2 coming home" is a load of b*ollox, doesn't matter if the gig is in Dublin or Baghdad its going to be the exact same with the same sequence of songs, A sort of homecoming would have been very fitting and its strange they didn't play it but then again its not really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Maverick would have flown much lower.

Oh, and the Carlsberg on the pitch was only 3.8%. Probably cheaper for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I got a ticket late on Friday night thanks to tips from Boardsies re: Ticketmaster.

Due to last minute purchase (and the price) I was alone in Lower Cusack. I managed to get in just in time to catch Noel starting. Absolutely brilliant opener and good to see 3/5 of most recent Oasis line-up together again.

As I usually avoid seating at all costs my initial impressions were how poor the sound for NG was but a really strong setlist and interesting too see people older than my mother enjoy the Oasis classics so much. Great gag about Cowboy hats too. :D

With U2 that completely changed. The sound couldn't have been better where I was. The best I have seen them since I was a teenager getting into Slane via the woods.

There is just something magic about U2 and their music works in stadiums better than any other band I can recall seeing. Best night I have had in years.

I hadn't read any of the setlists from previous shows so I was surprised they didnt play JT from the off but I may well work better for the general audience the way they did it.

I've just booked tickets to see them in Estadio Nacional in Chile in October. NG is supporting them them on South American leg also.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have been to a several "anniversary album gigs" and they invariable did the album at the very start, and then a "greatest hits" bit at the end - a very long encore.

I did not go to U2, but seeing what they played I would have liked JT first, and shift the opening 4 songs to the very end as an encore.

Many bands save their most well known songs till the end, but some like to come out with a opening well known track to get the crowd going (which many would have expected to be in encores/later). The first 3 on JT are very well known, in fact I would have preferred them to be split up but do like the idea of sticking to the tracklisting. At other "album gigs" I was also sort of disappointed when checking out the album to see the first few songs were my favourites and I knew the crowd would not really have got going yet.

Yeah actually, that woulda been perfect! End the show with SBS, NYD, Pride, Bad, epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Found your initial thoughts unusual mate have to say - "one of their worst". U2 have consistently whimpered over the line tour after tour. But their first 80 mins was dreamland for a long term fan.

Thought the visuals for Beautiful Day revitalised it completely. Elevation/Vertigo are timewasters in a setlist but the peeps around went bahlubaz so you can't fault their inclusion.

Swap out Sarajevo and Little Things (not a fan, sozz) and you have a 10/10 U2 show. Whilst it didnt reach the (recent) heights of the Glasgow show overall, I really enjoyed Croker. Best time I've seen them here since Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

legohouse wrote: »
    I think these "VIP's" we just in front of the sound/mixing tower? However did anyone else notice that they were on a raised area? Never noticed a raised area on the pitch before?
    We were to the right hand side of Pitch 1 about halfway up pitch opposite Sound/Mixing tower.
    Because of these "VIP's" in raised area we were unable to see ANYTHING on the B stage! I am not short but they completely blocked our view of the B stage and of course all the songs playing there. This was compounded with the lack of Video on the screen. The first we saw of U2 was when they went onto to the main stage for Streets!

Yes ,that is where the Vip's were ,I saw a good few of them collecting tickets before the gig near the Ticketmaster van.

That is an absolute disgrace to be honest .
    The sound tent is massive and then they stick those mini stands up as well ,that's ridiculous.

After 2 shows ,I firmly the best way to see this show is about 5 yards back from and right of the B stage if you can .
    If you are in the stands you are too far back and its hard to see the band members at times due to the poor lighting and the lack of close ups on the video screen for large sections of the concert .

rubadub wrote: »

Yeah actually, that woulda been perfect! End the show with SBS, NYD, Pride, Bad, epic.
    I thought those tunes were perfect openers. The crowd was on its feet right from the start and really set the tone...:)

• Advertisement

Wooderson wrote: »
    Found your initial thoughts unusual mate have to say - "one of their worst". U2 have consistently whimpered over the line tour after tour. But their first 80 mins was dreamland for a long term fan.

Thought the visuals for Beautiful Day revitalised it completely. Elevation/Vertigo are timewasters in a setlist but the peeps around went bahlubaz so you can't fault their inclusion.

Swap out Sarajevo and Little Things (not a fan, sozz) and you have a 10/10 U2 show. Whilst it didnt reach the (recent) heights of the Glasgow show overall, I really enjoyed Croker. Best time I've seen them here since Slane.

One of their worst hours in my experience. That's comparing against seriously amazing sets. So it's in no way bad, just could have been better. First hour 10/10, second 7/10.

Advertisement