Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

mrk75 wrote: »
    I thought those tunes were perfect openers. The crowd was on its feet right from the start and really set the tone...:)

True, but Streets/ISHFWILF/WOWY would have been equally as epic if not more so with the screen, and save the other big guns til the end. Was a bit too top heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

One of their worst hours in my experience. That's comparing against seriously amazing sets. So it's in no way bad, just could have been better. First hour 10/10, second 7/10.

As I said to you yesterday about standards....If that was any other band, it would be stated as an "amazing gig"

With U2, expectations are always higher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Yes ,that is where the Vip's were

Varadkhar watched the gig from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

the Oasis tribute band.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yeah actually, that woulda been perfect! End the show with SBS, NYD, Pride, Bad, epic.

Do people realise that all the songs were played in chronological order. Stating with early stuff, then entire Joshua Tree and finished with a new song.

Seems logical to me.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do people realise that all the songs were played in chronological order. Stating with early stuff, then entire Joshua Tree and finished with a new song.

Seems logical to me.

Of course. Although not quite, think One was written a few years before Vertigo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Minor gripe coz I had no problems with bars/toilets but for 80,000 people the food selection was pitiful. Only plain burgers from a couple of stands and one hot dog stand at the entrance. I appreciate it's not a festival but a few Asian and pizza concessions wouldn't have gone amiss for the crowd there.

Minor gripe coz I had no problems with bars/toilets but for 80,000 people the food selection was pitiful. Only plain burgers from a couple of stands and one hot dog stand at the entrance. I appreciate it's not a festival but a few Asian and pizza concessions wouldn't have gone amiss for the crowd there.

Twickenham, fantastic selection of grub on offer.
    Cubs match last year in Chicago, I was amazed how many different food options they had.

Any stadium in Ireland, same limited crap served up every single with no imagination no matter what the show/sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Boatlake

Seve OB wrote: »
    Any stadium in Ireland, same limited crap served up every single with no imagination no matter what the show/sport.

You should see the crap on offer at Dalymount Park during Bohs matches. I wince looking at the people queueing up for it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Twickenham, fantastic selection of grub on offer.
    Cubs match last year in Chicago, I was amazed how many different food options they had.

Ah you're after reminding me of the savage Dominos Pizza I had in Twickenham before I plodded down on the pitch :)

• Advertisement

To many bashing the setlist. It was the Joshua Tree tour for gods sake. It made perfect sense to open the way they did, a little warm up before the main show with tried and tested numbers that everyone knows. I think they got it spot on not having anything on the big screen for that selection because if they did, well then when the main show started ie The Joshua Tree Album, it would not have had the impact that it did. That bright red screen, the flash of white lights and the camera panning down to the longest straightest desert road.......it was a fantastic start to the screen show and to have done anything on screen before it, would have been a disservice. It couldn't have been done any better IMO.

People complaining of a lul on the second half, well WTF did you expect. It was well advertisted this was an album tour. How much did yis pay for your ticket? Would an extra tenner been to much to go any buy the album so you knew what was coming. I would say very few % of the people around me actually knew the songs from Stand Still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Boatlake

I've just booked tickets to see them in Estadio Nacional in Chile in October. .

If I recall correctly, that's the stadium where all the people disappeared from back in Pinochet's heyday in the 70's. Sissy Spacek made a movie about it.

Wonder if U2 play 'Mother's of the Disappeared' in Chile?

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Boatlake wrote: »
    You should see the crap on offer at Dalymount Park during Bohs matches. I wince looking at the people queueing up for it. :eek:

Yeah but Dalymount isn't our national stadium though.
    Up at the 700's area we had the disaster that was the queue for drinks at the Crossbar right down the end. Not enough staff, staff taking orders and pulling pints. I was in a queue just after Noel Gallagher finished that had no more than 30 people when I joined it. Took 45 minutes. At one stage, nothing happened for 5 of those minutes. The staff just disappeared. Bizarre.

Wooderson wrote: »
    Little Things (not a fan, sozz)

was that your first time to hear it? give it a chance, it's a good tune.

But on reflection, yea I can agree with the Miss Sarejevo comments, probably a bit lost in the setlist, but what would have made it for me was if they had an image of Pav up on the screen doing his part.

Agree that Little Things was a bit of an odd way to end the gig, but purely cause nobody knows it. IMO the only way a U2 concert should ever ever be wound up is with "40". There can be no further discussion on that matter. I read somewhere recently that (could it have been Rome?) the fans sang 40 for a good 15 minutes. There was a very little murmour of it on Saturday night. Most people there hadn't a clue what it was. I remember it at the Zoo TV gig in the RDS, the whole stadium got on it and it was epic, but 15 minutes of it, that would be a wet dream.

There is an upside to the nut job foreigners coming in for the gig, at least they know it all and really get into the show.

How Lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

As with regards to the sound, I thought it was fine. I bought one of the restricted view tickets that was located in the Uppper, Upper Cusack stand side of the stadium (€40 ticket) and I thought it seemed decent enough. I was in the front row and had a view of the side of the big screen but could also see what was going on back stage, which was interesting as it showed what a lot of the technicans and stage hands were doing. I even have on video on my phone Noel Gallagher falling over while trying to tie his shoelaces before he went onstage and his bandmates ripping the p*ss out of him :D

During parts of Noel Gallaghers set , I did think the volume on his mic seemed to waver on at least two ocassions, where the mic didnt pick up his voice but overall I didnt think there was any major issues. As for U2's set, as one earlier poster mentioned, the opening set of songs was as strong an opener from any band I can remember. Yeah there was some duff moments in some song selections, "Miss Sarajevo", "Ultraviolet Light" and then finishing up on "The Little Things That Give You Away" sort of put a damp squib on it when either "Elevation" or "Vertigo" would have done instead.

Having said all that, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, the weather was grand, even though I didnt see the big screen (full view on), the sound was fine and with happy gig goers around me rounded off a great night.

Have to give a shout out to the couple from Clare who were beside me, I was on my own and was sort of feeling like a lemon in the seat, but that all evaporated as I had a great buzz and laugh with them throughout the show, singing and laughing :), hope ye made it out safely to your daughter's place later that night.

Hopefully the next time U2 play in Dublin, they'll do more than one show and also when tickets do go on sale , could they reduce the number from 8 tickets per transaction to 2-3 , it could give us mere mortals a bit of a chance to get a ticket.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I picked up tickets on Friday thanks to the good folks here on boards!

I managed to get €80 plus fees tickets for the lower Hogan side of stage. Great tickets. The people directly next to me paid €180 plus TM fees for their seats. I never let them know as I didn't want to be a dick but those price differences for practically the same view is crazy!

Great gig.

To many bashing the setlist..

Is anyone bashing it? A few have suggested a few alterations, yourself included :pac: But in no way bashing!

Is anyone bashing it? A few have suggested a few alterations, yourself included :pac: But in no way bashing!

Ah here mate. "Probably the worst U2 show I've seen"... :cool:

- - -

"Exit" alone was better than anything on the 2009 tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

- - -

Agree with this, Exit is rarely played live and it was brilliant.

Of course half the crowd thought this was part of the lull in the middle.:rolleyes:

- - -

Ok, I'll try and write it clearer as you can't seem to get it :p All the other U2 shows I've seen have been nigh on perfect. This fell a little below perfect. It was slightly flawed. Worst of the best gigs but still one of the best gigs I've been to.

Worst U2 show is still miles better than some band's best.

Agreed on Exit. Everything from RTSS to Mothers was absolute bliss and I woulda paid the €80 just for those 7 songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Maybe it's just me but, Bono seemed a tad emotional at certain points...

During RTSS and One Tree Hill

Ok, I'll try and write it clearer as you can't seem to get it :p All the other U2 shows I've seen have been nigh on perfect. This fell a little below perfect. It was slightly flawed. Worst of the best gigs but still one of the best gigs I've been to.

Worst U2 show is still miles better than some band's best.

Agreed on Exit. Everything from RTSS to Mothers was absolute bliss and I woulda paid the €80 just for those 7 songs.

IMO most if not all of their gigs are slightly flawed. Agree with you on those 7 songs tho. Even "Trip" which i was expecting to fall flat had a pop and a swagger. Transported me back to being 10 years old when I heard it first. Proper time machine to the late 80's.

Just think how easy it would have been to chop Miss Sarajevo, Ultraviolet, and Little Things, and replace them with a simple acoustic led singalong on the B stage with Desire, Staring at the Sun, and perhaps All I want is You or another crowd fav such as Angel of Harlem. It would have been absolutely epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I thought the setlist was fine ,it was exactly what was expected as they have been playing the same setlist most nights of the tour.
    I'd have dropped Miss Sarajevo and The Little Things for something more uptempo ,maybe Mysterious Ways and Walk On but otherwise I have no complaints.

As the guys had 3 nights off before and 2 nights off after I'd like to have seen them play 3-4 more songs ,would have been a nice touch.

Just think how easy it would have been to chop Miss Sarajevo, Ultraviolet, and Little Things, and replace them with a simple acoustic led singalong on the B stage with Desire, Staring at the Sun, and perhaps All I want is You or another crowd fav such as Angel of Harlem. It would have been absolutely epic.

I woulda went with broad widescreen madness having seen the upgrade them made to Beautiful Day.

A couple from Zoo/HMTMKMKM/Discotheque/Mofo and then go with something from your list to close her down.

I woulda went with broad widescreen madness having seen the upgrade them made to Beautiful Day.

Good call,can you imagine The Fly with the Zoo TV Video feed up on that screen ,would be deadly ,would probably give everyone epileptic fits.

Wonder what the actual limits are on screensize? Are we close? I reckon this one pushes all the constraints; stadium size, setup/stripdown, ability to withstand high winds... Group we were with were absolutely blown away with it.

Wonder what the actual limits are on screensize? Are we close? I reckon this one pushes all the constraints; stadium size, setup/stripdown, ability to withstand high winds... Group we were with were absolutely blown away with it.

Good article on the screen here
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/prg-launches-new-technology-solutions-as-concert-firsts-on-u2-the-joshua-tree-tour-2017-300458468.html
    SPACEFRAME features and advantages:

Carbon fiber fabrication and built-in wind bracing reduces overall weight increasing safety and savings
    10 times stronger when compared to conventional fabrication
    15 percent overall weight reduction
    35 percent weight reduction including wind bracing
    Integrated wind bracing up to 72 kph

Profile reduction and integrated wind bracing results in up-to 50 percent savings in shipping cost in some cases and a massive reduction in the tour's carbon footprint
    Specifically for this U2 tour, truck loads are reduced from seven to three - or one less airplane - when compared to conventional LED frame load
    Compact, lightweight design offers up-to 30 percent reduction of installation/dismantle time and a 25 percent reduction in overall labor cost

Yea there are plenty. I'm not going through to pick out examples. Maybe take a read again yourself.

All I said was maybe Miss Sarejevo seemed out of place, but I don't think I said it should have been dropped and I was very happy with the set list. Yes I would have loved them to finish with 40, but I always want them to finish with 40. I certainly wouldn't have dropped Little Things and I could pick out another 20+ songs I would have loved to have heard them play, but I do realise they are the ones putting the show on, not us.

You on the other hand wanted them to drop Ultra Violet, Little Things, etc and play an accustic set. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been epic, but Ultra Violet is one of their epic songs IMO (all be it not in the same league as the ZOO version) as is Miss Sarejevo. But it is all subjective, what you like and prefer others mightn't.

As Anarchy says, most of the setlist is cast in stone so I don't really get the moaning that this should have been played instead of that etc.... it is what it is and we are only there to watch and enjoy, not to produce, design and complain.

Shoulda coulda woulda

• Advertisement

Vomit

as for yer one who has to stick her oar in a the end :rolleyes::o

Advertisement